Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Dumb Brushless motor question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:46 PM
TechyJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Brushless motor question

I just built a custom electric RC snowmobile.

It has a 400watt 480 size brushless motor. I noticed it runs faster backwards then forwards. this indicates to me that the motor is running in its non-optimal direction.

I can't beleive there is no info on the web about this.

If I look at the motor from the front - where the shaft comes out, the motor spins counter clockwise. I think it should spin clockwise to be optimal.

Is this true? Can anyone help?

I use the stock gear box with 4 gears. So, if I want to spin the motor in clockwise rotation, I need to remove a gear or use a belt drive etc.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Dumb Brushless motor question

Direction of rotation means nothing to a brushless motor since it is accomplished electronically in the speed controller. First do a physical check. Does the motor spin freely or at least with the same drag in both directions? If not you've probably got a damaged bearing. More likely the problem is in the settings on the speed controller. If the motor is an in-runner set it to the lowest selection, if an out-runner try the highest. If neither makes a difference try one in between.

Hope this helps. I'm an airplane guy, but motors are motors.
Walt
Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 PM
TechyJoe

Ok, thanks Walt

I am an airplane guy too. Cars are new to me but like you said: motors are motors. I purchased a Castle Creation Sidewinder ESC and it is programmable but I just used the default settings (didn't want to sp[end the time fooling with programming it).

The Castle Creations directions said if you are using a Futaba radio (which I am), to reverse channel 2 (throttle) which I did. I wonder if maybe I should not have reversed this and should just have programmed (using the radio - full, reverse and nutrual) it the way it was. Maybe it thinks forward is reverse and is not providing as much current to the motor?????
Old 02-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Walt Thyng

I am not familiar with escs that offer reverse, but I do know that you have to reverse the throttle channel on futabas for a/c. I imagine it is the ame for cars.
Walt
Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 AM
TechyJoe

Ok, thanks again Walt.

I got it all figured out. I spent some time to read the manual that came with the ESC a little more thoroughly and was able to program all 9 settings for the Castle Creation Sidewinder using just the radio transmitter and now it really moves.

This was also my first high power car ESC with reverse.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Walt Thyng

That's what instructions are for - to find out what you did wrong (-:
Walt