Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Engine Cuts Out: engine or speed controller problem?

Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Engine Cuts Out: engine or speed controller problem?

Old 07-12-2003, 02:03 AM
doenges

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Cuts Out: engine or speed controller problem?

I have the Wattage G-202E ARF, which comes with a Wattage supper 400 cobalt 27 T motor. I am running it with an Astro Flight 215D speed controller hooked up to an 8 volt 1300 mah battery. Batter is fully charged and verified at 8.4 volts.

My problem is that the engine cuts out completely at various throttle settings, most of which are below half throttle. Sometimes it cuts out as I throttle up, and sometimes it cuts out at a fixed throttle point. But it ALWAYS cuts out. Then to start it back up, I have to minimize throttle and then throttle back up again. I have not flow it and it this point there is no way that I can get it off the ground.

The other controls (servers) appear to be working just fine.

Using the probes of my digital volt meter, at idle, I can see the voltage, after motor cuts out, the voltage is zero. I do not know if that is a function of the speed controller or the engine.

Please, anyone, offer me your advise.

Thanks
Dan
Old 07-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Tippie

Why not ask Astroflight. Pose the question to them at www.astroflight.com They prefer to deal directly with the customer on those issues.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:28 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan,

I don't have a 215D ESC but I looked at the specs. It doesn't have a current limit shutoff but the low-voltage (LV) disconnect can shut off the motor if it senses that the battery voltage is too low. This keeps power to the receiver and servos for landing.

You didn't mention what type of 1300 battery you have and the "8 volts" that you mention is hopefully 8-cells or 9.6 volts.

I'll assume that you have an 8-cell, CP1300SCR NiCd pack which is a good choice for this power system.

You also didn't mention the prop size so i'll assume that you have the stock APC 7x4 prop.

If these assumptions are not correct, then you may have a component issue. For example, the battery cannot deliver the proper amount of current so the voltage drops dramatically and shuts off the motor.

You may want to double-check that your battery pack is properly peaked (or charged) and even try a quick test without the prop attached to see if the motor can run up and down without a load. Keep this unloaded test short at full throttle...a few seconds perhaps.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2003, 03:27 PM
doenges

Default More facts and tests

I am using the 7CP-1300SCR 8.4V pack (7 cells). Battery is good as far as I know. I got two of them (when I bought the ARF) and they both show around 8.8 volts.

Today I put on a break-in prop of 5 x 4.5 and it ran a lot better then when running with the , but still had a few quits.

Of the three major components, can I rule any one of them out (battery, ESC, motor)?

I bought everything from the local hobby shop (18 miles away) and will talk to them on Monday. But it would be helpful to provide them with as much diagnostics as possible.

I will peak-out the batteries and see if that makes lengthens the time between motor quits.

I guess that the batteries should be 8 cells, giving me more voltage?

What do you think?

Dan
Old 07-12-2003, 07:01 PM
rctimm99
My Feedback: (34)

Dan,
I had the same problem with an astroflight 020... disconnect all your servos and if the problem goes away (which I bet it does) you need AstroFlight to fix it.

These smaller faster servos of today like the HS81 can spike at high amps which can shut down a BCE ...

If the problem goes away with the servos dissconnected, call www.astroflight.com ... Bob is a good guy.
Tim
Old 07-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like good advice from Tim.

The recommended ESC for your Wattage Giles setup is the IC-380AS from Hobby People. Perhaps your local hobby shop sells it or an equivalent.

Your 7-cell, CP1300 pack is stock issue and should work fine.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2003, 02:23 AM
AllThumbs

Default My experience with the Astro Flight 215D...

...leads me to believe it is more trouble than it's worth.
It was difficult to get to work when first set up, and when it finally did work I got two interupted flights with a premature cut off immediately after launch and the speed control hasn't worked since the last flight.

My feeling after all the trouble: If you simply look at the 215D wrong - it stops working.

What is more, the package for the 215D is full of disclaimers and warnings that it has no warranty.

My Jeti ESC has worked perfectly since the first time out of the box, has performed nicely, and has a generous replacement guarantee.

Needless to say - While I'll probably buy astro Flight motors - I won't be buying another speed control from Astro Flight.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:21 PM
doenges

Default Bad AstroFlight Speed Controller

After spending 1.5 hours using different components with an amp and volt meter plugged in, we were able to determine that the speed controller was bad.

Something on the little circuit board was loose. If we squeezed the board (side to side, not top to bottom) about a 1/4 inch from the motor lead side with a lot of pressure, then it worked just fine.

I am returning it to AstroFlight on Monday. Hopefully I will get a new unit. I don't like to get repaired or refurbished units back for a product that was bad from the start.

Dan
Old 07-20-2003, 02:06 PM
AllThumbs

Default Please tell us what Astro Flight says.

I'm interested in what their response will be.