Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

GWS P-51 Way underpowered or is it my setup>?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 03:10 AM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS P-51 Way underpowered or is it my setup>?

I just got my P-51 a new motor from horizon b/c the stock one didnt fly. I have a 10 amp ecs, futaba 6xas radio, 4 channel micro reciever and an 8.4v 350 milliamp ni-cad on the plane. Now it flys but is slow.. I dogfight with my friends zero and mine can only fly around in circles, and im at full throttle? Whats up> if i try to flip it, it stalls when i pull up at an agressive angle? I think its way underpowered but i have no idea? Are my radio settings wrong or do i need a new motor? If its the motor has anyone used the wattage 370 can? I heard it can put 15 ounces of plane vertical and that right there makes me want to buy it? If you can lead me in the right direction to fix my warbird thanks. By the way i've been flying electrics for a year and was successfull with a f-86 which is retired b/c of my VIper twin(has 480's and i love it) has its radio gear and have my other gear in this p-51. thanks all
Old 07-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

Your stock motor and the Wattage 370 (aka Speed 300) motor should provide good power for your P-51.

You may want to look into providing more voltage to your system than your current 7-cell, 350mAh, NiCd pack.

I would recommend trying an 8th cell on your current pack, or buying the 8-cell, 5/4AAA, 800mAh, NiMH pack from Hobby People. This pack weighs only 4.1oz with connector so it will double your flight time over your existing 350mAh pack without adding any weight to the plane.

Also, if you can limit your full throttle flying to bursts of around 10 seconds, you may want to consider a 3-cell Kokam 1200HC pack from Hobby Lobby (FM12003 Kokam 3 Cell 11.1V, 1200 mAh Li-Poly Battery
Pack) This will triple your flight times but would require a special Lithium charger...more expense.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2003, 03:53 PM
E*nealio

i think im about to buy a Triton charger from great planes and it charges both lipoly and li ion so i think ill go with the 11.2 volt li pack. Just for another question, When i threw my plane last it did a barrel roll and went into the dirt breaking the prop. It did the same thing on my friends zero(i thought it was crosswind but there wasnt one?
Old 07-12-2003, 03:58 PM
E*nealio

47 bucks for the kokam battery and 139 bucks for the charger. Sheesh i think i'll wait till i get some more dough! I'll try the nimh battery(which i already have a charger for!) Thanks
Eric
Old 07-13-2003, 09:46 PM
E*nealio

Well i decided in the mean time to make my own 9.6 volt battery. I took some old 1.2 volt nimh cells and soldered em together. they are 1100 mah cells? Is that good or what. It weighs a total of 6.25 ounces! Thats okay seeing that my 8.4 was 3.15 ounces and only 350 mah! I think i did a good job for now. I'll go brushless soon and then li poly!
Old 07-14-2003, 05:19 PM
S Couch

Default 9.6 volts

I have the wattage live wire, it has the 370 motor and 4.58:1 gear ratio, but 9.6 volt 800 mah battery. It has blenty of power, did loops, good vertical, but only flew for 2 minutes, then the gears stripped. Because of all the bad post about the gears only lasting a few flights, I ordered a new motor from a different company.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:49 PM
Greg Covey

I'm not sure which 1100mAh cells you are using but 6.25oz sounds ok for weight.

The barrel roll after take-off was probably a tip stall. Try throwing it harder next time but either straight out or just a slight up angle. It is important for the P-51 to gain speed before going up in altitude unless you have a higher powered system.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2003, 02:41 AM
E*nealio

ON the weight issue i was using an old letter weigher and then went to my dads digital weigher that weighs really light metals and stuff(hes a dental lab owner) It only weighed 5.23 ounces! That great right. Just to let you know the 1100 mah batt. shorted b/c of my connecters were old. Out to get the pack put together by pro's. Any tips? They are Hecell cells? are they any good?
Old 07-15-2003, 01:05 PM
Greg Covey

Yes, the 1000mAh HECELLs are good but for a geared Speed 300 power system, you really want to keep things light. An 8-cell, 720mAh, AAA, NiMH pack would be better. Another option is the 8-cell, 800mAh, 5/4AAA, NiMH pack.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:16 PM
E*nealio

Going to buy the new 8cell 5/4aaa pack on saturday, I 'll update you guys on the results! Lookss good on my end thanks