Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

How do I do the battery hook up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Motorhomer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I do the battery hook up?

O.k., here is the set upNitro Planes Mosquito, 73". I will be using 2 each,Turnigy C3548-800, Turnigy Plush 60Amp ESC with BEC.
Questions are 1) what prop would you start with, any chance of using a 3 blade? 2) Can i use seperate battery for each motor? If so, give me a simple drawing on how to hook it up to ESC & the receiver. 3) What are the most common settings on the programe card? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks , Ken McCormack
Old 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM
bobferguson

Default RE: How do I do the battery hook up?

I can give some input on #2. I believe from my research that it is recommended to use one battery so the power (voltage) applied to both motors is the same otherwise the motors will turn at different rpms.

ORIGINAL: Motorhomer

O.k., here is the set upNitro Planes Mosquito, 73''. I will be using 2 each,Turnigy C3548-800, Turnigy Plush 60Amp ESC with BEC.
Questions are 1) what prop would you start with, any chance of using a 3 blade? 2) Can i use seperate battery for each motor? If so, give me a simple drawing on how to hook it up to ESC & the receiver. 3) What are the most common settings on the programe card? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks , Ken McCormack
Old 08-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Motorhomer

Yeah, I didn't think I could do seperate batts, so I'm looking at a 5000 mah lipo 4s. Thanks for the input. Ken
Old 08-19-2010, 02:19 PM
plane-addict

Regarding prop, is it this motor that you are using: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4909

On that page, they suggest a 11x6 prop, but if you read the reviews then you will notice some people are using bigger props. It's important to know what kind of thrust you want. Then, 3 blade props are not always as efficient as 2 blade props. Although 3 blade prop is possible probably (and will look more scale, I think). Try to get a counter rotating prop pair to get rid of torque issues.

Like bob said, just one battery for 2 motors. Connect each esc to a motor (there are 3 connections per motor/esc) and the 2 esc's first to the reciever (use an Y-cable) and finally connect the esc's to the battery (mind the polarity, 2 red wires of esc to + of battery, 2 black wires to - of esc). If a motor turns in the wrong direction, just exchange any of 2 wires and it will turn the other way around.

If you need more help, post here. I will keep an eye on this thread.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Motorhomer

Yeap, thats the motors I'll be useing. I'm thinking 5000 mah lipo 4c at a 20c discharge rate. I think that will give me about 8 to 10 min flight time at about 80% throttle. (I'm just guessing about this). Thanks for the input. The only three bladed props I can find at hobby king ar something like 9/7. We'll see what thrust I'll be getting. Thanks again, Ken
Old 08-23-2010, 01:01 PM
plane-addict

Good luck and keep posting about your findings please. Maybe other people can learn from it.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Dr Kiwi

The only three bladed props I can find at hobby king ar something like 9/7. We'll see what thrust I'll be getting.

Try here:
http://masterairscrew.com/3-bladeseries.aspx