RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/)
-   -   RC Smart 30A Brushless Speed Controller (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/brushed-brushless-motors-speed-controls-gear-drives-123/4358446-rc-smart-30a-brushless-speed-controller.html)

naberm 06-06-2006 02:57 AM

RC Smart 30A Brushless Speed Controller

Hi

Anyone know how to turn the brake on, on one of these controllers using the tx throttle stick. On powering up the unit with the throttle up it emits 2 beeps. After which it emits 3 separate beeps then 3 sets of two beeps finally three sets of three beeps. It seems to be programable. Having a little trouble communicating with the seller as my Chinese sucks and his English doesn't seem much better. So far I may have turned the brake on and changed the timing. Anyone actually figured out one of these units?

Mike

Chocks_Away 06-06-2006 04:34 PM

RE: RC Smart 30A Brushless Speed Controller

Hi, I don't know about this controller, but my ripmax esc has a brake on / off function which is set by

1) turn on the esc with the tx stick at the bottom (off) (3 beeps emitted)

2) Set throttle max point with tx stick fully up (5 beeps emitted)

3) if you want to change the brake on / off - leave the throttle at max for a few seconds until it beeps again (about 7 times)

4) Return the throttle to closed to finalise the calibration (with a final 3 beeps emitted)

If the current brake setting does not need changing, then you just return the tx stick to closed straight after you hear the first set of beeps when you set the max point.

Don't know if this method will work with yours, but it may be worth a try. :eek:
Let us know.
Cheers, Craig ;)

VULTCH 06-13-2006 09:54 AM

Perhaps this will help if the unit is like mine. It will work for the new version of the 30:40: and 60 amp models.

Note: The square is a 3 note musical tone followed by a beep. Make sure the throttle trim on your transmitter is at minimun. Turn on your transmitter with throttle at Max, then connect power to the receiver. You will hear several beeps then the musical tone followed by a long beep, this will repeat three times then the musical tone will proceed followed by two beeps, after three times,musical tone,three beeps,etc. If I want to select an option move the throttle stick to the mid position during the period of musical tone and beep. I.E. Cell Type and number. Power up with throttle at max. Listen for musical tone followed by one beep, Move throttle to half, LEAVE at HALF and listen for a short beep followed by a long beep if you are programming for NiMh or NiCd. If you want this selection Move Throttle to Full and leave it there. This will program it into the ESC and return to the Musical tone menu where you may select another program selection. If the throttle is moved to min. the esc will leave program mode and ARM ready to run.

SETUP MENU

First, connect the motor and receiver to the speed controller
Remove battery power from the speed controller.
Turn on the transmitter.
Move throttle stick on full power position,(UP Position)
Reconnect battery power to the speed controller
After 3sec you can hear (all sound is 3times)
— CELL Type AND Number
— — BRAKE
— — — TIMING MODE
— — — — PWM
ON you need programming menu, move the throttle stick to middle position.
1 CELL Type AND Number
•— NiMh/Nicd AUTO0.8V/CELL*
•— — 3LIPO 2.75V/CELL
•— — — 4LIPO2.75V/CELL
•— — — — 5LIPO2.75V/CELL
*IF used 2LIPO you can use the option .(select the NiMh/Nicd AUTO)
2 BRAKE
••— NO
••— — SOFT
••— — — MID
••— — — HARD
3 TIMING MODE
•••— 2 º
•••— — 7 º
•••— — — 15º
•••— — — — 30º
4 PWM
••••— 8KHZ
••••— — 16KHZ
••••— — — 32KHZ
IF the option is you need ,then move the throttle stick to UP position.
The long BEEP is save the option. and the system will go to the programming menu.
You can setup other options.
When all you need option is setup OK, push the throttle stick to down position, after 1sec the
system were save all option, then you can start the motor now!!

Es-R-Gr8 06-13-2006 09:22 PM

rc smart 30 amp esc....

xmitter off....put throttle to full... turn on x mitter - - - turns brake on or off ( I actually forget which )

if not the way you want it

xmitter off... leave throttle off...turn on xmitter.....

thats all the programming as far as I know the rc smart 30 amp esc does.

hope the info helps

naberm 06-14-2006 01:40 AM

Chocks Away & ES-R-Gr8 thanks for your replys, unfortunately it didn't work but thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Vultch you seem to be on the money. I was playing with the Esc on the weekend and found the programming sequence. How sure are you of the menus and sub menus?

The RC Smart Esc would then seem to be a re-badge of the HiModel Ltd Brushless Esc. Possibly why RC Smart was so reluctant to provide the information on programming it. Although their representatives grasp of English isn't to good. Shame as they seem to be not a bad Esc.

Anyway Vultch and guys thanks for the help.

Regards

Mike

that-guy-steve 06-14-2006 08:41 AM

Vultch,
I just submitted a similar post ([link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4388869]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4388869[/link]) regarding ESC programming. I'm having a problem not being able to save the program by moving the throttle stick down. I won't arm the motor and only returns to the programming mode.
Did you have that same problem at all? (I don't know what ESC you have but the instructions that came with mine are identical)
Thanks

VULTCH 06-14-2006 10:22 AM

I have the new version of the Tower Pro Esc. When I get done programing I just disconnect the battery. Then power it up. I will double check the programming to see if it is accurate. I have the Dynam 40A ESC, a couple more TP 30 A, Hacker X-20, Jeti 18A:40A OPti,CC Phoenix 10s and 25. The TP new version is doing a great job for me. I'll get back to you when I test again,hopefully tonight.

Tony

that-guy-steve 06-14-2006 12:55 PM

Thanks for the reply Tony. I tried that (disconnecting the batt after setting the options) but that didn't work either. I suspect that since I can't arm the motor at all, my problem might be with my Tx and the throttle. I have a new one coming soon.

undertaker29 06-22-2006 07:58 PM

Hey, I am having a real problem with a Zagi 35 amp controller. It did not come with directions (even though I bought it new). Anyone have experience with it? Can I use these to program it?

I have 2 7 cell 1500 mAh Nicad packs in Parallel but the controller shuts off the receiver after about 10 stick movements and then re starts after 3-4 seconds. I have emailed the Zagi folks (Trick R/C) - twice and have had no response.

I have looked all over the web for any directions on how to use this device with no luck. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. if this is the wrong forum, please assist me by posting it in the right one. Thanks.

VULTCH 06-22-2006 11:38 PM

Hi Undertaker 29,
You said the ESC shuts off the receiver, Do the servo's still operate? Or did you mean the motor? Is there an extra cable on the ESC? I'm not familiar with the Zagi ESC so I will need a little more info. If the receiver is shutting down (No servo movement) then the regulator is probably overheating. You may have a bad servo or too many servo's or one may be in a bind. If the motor shuts down then the battery min. voltage may have to be reprogrammed or with some ESC's a jumper may have to be installed on an extra cable. If you will let me know some of the answers to the above questions, I will try to help. I have several ESC's and perhaps one of them will program the same as your's. I hate to ask 100 questions but that is the only way without having one. Someone may have one and answer your question.

Regards, Tony

jaskel 06-23-2006 09:30 AM

nice info guys..i have the 60 amp version of the RC Smart ESC, a quick question; What is the degrees for and what setting should it be set to on my cessna as i am still learning all this brushless stuff.

Also what is the PWM and how should i set it???

I actually get up to 5 beeps from my ESC...

Thanks for any info guys.

Glacier Girl 06-23-2006 09:41 AM

VULTCH,
How bout this one? I just received 6 of the new version TP 30 esc's.
Came with the same directions you posted.
Instead of the initial 3 of each option, they all only do it 2 times.
And no matter which of the options you try and select, they all do the same thing. Move the stick to half throttle and all you get is one long tone, followed by 3 short, then 5 short, then silence. If you move the stick back up to full the motor cranks up.

I've tried changing throttle trims, reversing the channel, different rx's, 2 and 3 cell lipo packs.
All of them do the same. And if you just try and use them they don't start to turn over the motor till almost 1/2 throttle.
I dug out one of the older versions I have of the esc, and it programs up just like the directions.

Got me totally confused.

Glacier Girl 06-23-2006 09:53 AM

Hang on, just got an e-mail from Hong Kong.
Apparently all the new 30 amp esc's were shipped out without initial programming installed at the factory. Here's the revision from them if someone else runs into the problem.
I'll try it tonight and see if it works.

Brushless ESC User Guide(10A/15A/30A)
Extreme Usage:
10A :max 10A 13A Burst 10 senconds
15A: max 15A 25A Burst 10 seconds
30A: max 30A 40A Burst 10 seconds
Unit Size/Weight:
10A: 23mm*17mm*5mm 4g (without wires) 8g ( with wires)
15A: 32mm*24mm*7mm 11g (without wires) 21g (with wires)
30A: 32mm*24mm*7mm 11g (without wires) 23g (with wires)
Voltage Scope: 4V-15V
Battery: 4-10 NIMH 2-3 LIPO
BEC Output: 10A—1.5A (instant 2A): 2 LIPO 4 mini servo actuator 3 LIPO 3 servo actuator
20A—2A (instant 3A): 2LIPO 4-5servo actuator 3 LIPO 3-4 servo actuator
30A-2A ( instant 3A): 2LIPO 4-5 servo actuator 3LIPO 3-4 servo actuator
Protection Function:
Auto choice 2-3 LIPO individual protection valtage: 6V/9V
Auto choice NIMH, each cell protection valtage is 0.8V
Safe start, wrong throttle position will forbid start.
Temperature protection, a surface temperature of 110 degree will stop down.
Non-control protection, stop down when without signal for 1 second.
Character Description:
Max-rotation, 2 poles inner rotation up to 300000 RPM.
12 poles outer rotation up to 50000 RPM.
14 poles outer rotation up to 42000 RPM .
8K PWM control, with rotation speed control curve. Fit for auto throttle and more remote
Control equipments. 20A/30A with BEC and MCU power supply, the work is more security.
Setup:
-First, connect the motor and receiver to the speed controller
-Remove battery power from the speed controller.
-Turn on the transmitter.
-Move throttle stick on full power position,(UP Position)
-Reconnect battery power to the speed controller
After 2sec you can hear
BEEP showing LIPO auto-protection
BEEP BEEP showing NIMH/NICD auto-protection
BEEP BEEP BEEP showing select of brake
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP showing re-setting of factory parameters.
All sounding will continue, unless operation instruction.
If the option is you need ,then move the throttle stick to lowest position.
The engine will give a BEEP sound for approval.
Then, if need other setting, put the throttle to the top quickly, and you will do the next choice.
After all of your settings are ok, then waiting for 2 seconds, the engine will give out suitable
approval sound of battery protection, and approve the throttle position. Then you may start.

Factory parameters resetting function: When the characters such as the elec-adjuster acceleraton or diversion or throttle curve, etc are changed from the new product, a factory parameters setting can be made to get the best characters.

VULTCH 06-23-2006 10:44 AM

Don't you just love it when an unexpected programming change is made without notice. Thanks Glacier Girl for the post! This thread is gathering some good info.
Jaskel: The timing function is used to increase power to the motor at the cost of amps and efficency. There is a "Sweet Spot" which a motor will have and you can use the timing to fine tune it. The PWM frequency is much the same. It just switches power on and off faster.
As a rule, lower pole inrunners are set at a lower timing and higher pole motors such as outrunners at a higher one. If you have problems with start up of the motor changing the PWM and Timing will usually help.
Each motor will determine what setting and the whole airplane and flying style will determine what settings to use. It is trial and error at best.

Glacier Girl 06-23-2006 11:48 AM

Here's one more. I've started doing twins. One 52" P38 and a 48" B25. Both TP 2410-9Y's with the 30 amp esc's.
On the Lightning I ran the esc's parallel, Y harness into the Rx. The P38 has 6 servos, ailerons,elevator, steering and air retracts. And the sytem performed fine with the load.
It had a quirk though, unless I powered up the left side esc first, the right would not arm.
Finally got tired of it acting up and disconnected the one esc red lead. Problem gone and doesn't matter which esc gets powered up first now, both motors spin, and it's still handling the load from the servos off the one BEC.

VULTCH 06-23-2006 12:51 PM

Any problems with overheating of the ESC regulator powering 6 servo's? Mine runs hot running 4 servo's @3Cell LiPO.

jaskel 06-23-2006 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: VULTCH

Don't you just love it when an unexpected programming change is made without notice. Thanks Glacier Girl for the post! This thread is gathering some good info.
Jaskel: The timing function is used to increase power to the motor at the cost of amps and efficency. There is a "Sweet Spot" which a motor will have and you can use the timing to fine tune it. The PWM frequency is much the same. It just switches power on and off faster.
As a rule, lower pole inrunners are set at a lower timing and higher pole motors such as outrunners at a higher one. If you have problems with start up of the motor changing the PWM and Timing will usually help.
Each motor will determine what setting and the whole airplane and flying style will determine what settings to use. It is trial and error at best.

OK great, thank you. i will have to get a wattmeter now ;)

like i said I can get 5 beeos out of mine...very odd

nothinglasts 07-16-2006 05:59 AM

Any updates on programming these controllers??

I bought the 30-40A RCSmart controller and I can confirm
that there are 4 menus :
1st menu - 6options
2nd menu - 5options
3rd menu - 5options
4th menu - 4options

This doesnt really fit with the descriptions above, has anyone been able
to extract this 'top secret' info from RC Smart?
I contacted them about a motor I bought and they didn't reply. It was supposed
to be 1480kV but I'm positive its a Hacker motor which is 1050kV and is therefore
underpowered on my 2S packs. Its a shame they are such idiots because the gear looks
good quality.

jaskel 07-16-2006 04:54 PM

nah i am still having trouble getting info from this moron! I am never buying anything off him again!

If anyone does happen to get the programming please post the info

Thanks

Jas

naberm 07-17-2006 01:38 AM

Jaskel & Nothinglasts

I too think the quality of the product is good, but RC Smarts representative doesn't seem to know much about the what he sells. I sent him a copy of the programming instructions provided by Vultch so no one else would get as frustrated as I did. Looks like he didn't know what to do with it.

Thank goodness you guys are out there, and we are all helping each other.

Mike

jaskel 07-17-2006 06:18 AM

cool...so has he come back to you re programming yet?

nothinglasts 07-17-2006 10:11 AM

Ok, based on VULTCH's guide I've tried a few options, this is where I'm at so far.
Man it takes ages as it cycle beeps every menu and option 3 times...

Menu option 1 is definately batt cutoff. there are six options (on the 30A ESC i got last week)
I only use 2S Lipo so if you guys use 3S we should be able to work this out together.

1.....2Sworks, 7cell works----------------------------------- 6cell or auto nimh?
2.....2Sworks, 7cell works-------------------------------------- 2S setting?
3.....2Sdoesnt work, 7cell perfect cutoff.----------------------- 7cell setting.
4.....2Sdoesnt work, 7cell doesnt work-------------------------- 3S setting?
5.....2Sdoesnt work, 7cell doesnt work-------------------------- 4S setting?
6.....2Sworks, 7cell works--------------------------------------- auto lipo setting perhaps?

Menu option 2 is definately the brake:

1.....brake off
2.....brake on--------------------------- these are obviously different brake types. 4 choices
3.....brake on--------------------------- could mean hard brake immediate, hard brake delayed
4.....brake on--------------------------- soft brake immediate, soft brake delayed.
5.....brake on--------------------------- A field test would be required to work this out.

Menu option 3 appears to be timing. It is very hard to tell the difference without a meter or tacho.

1.....less power, feels dull (outrunner)
5.....high power, more crisp and responsive

Thats all for now, hopefully someone can test menu option1 with 3S. a wattmeter would be handy too.

jaskel 07-17-2006 04:13 PM

great work, I think the first menu on mine is the break not the cut off! I know at the moment the motor goes to 5% power when the low volt cut off kicks in.

nothinglasts 07-17-2006 08:27 PM

Ok I have edited my post above after charging and testing option 1 with an old 7cell.

TNBoy 07-19-2006 07:55 AM

With response to nothinglasts posts, I have done a little testing with a variable power supply in regards to cutoff voltages.
I was very tired when doing these tests but they are fairly accurate, you should allow about +0.3v for voltage inertia.

1.......cut out at 7v
2....................6.4v
3....................8.0v
4....................10.3v
5.....................13.3v
6......seems to be auto mode depending on start voltage
start voltage=12v, cut at 8.0v; start 7.4v cut 6.3v; start 15v cut at 10v, start 11.0v cut at 7.4v

there is definitely a very small band near cutoff where power drops significantly any further voltage drop causes a reset-able cut off.

Could some one help me with timing, i.e. VULTCH's post re item 3 in the menu, not sure what to use 2, 7, 15, 30 degrees
for outrunner and inrunner cases.
I have read VULTCH's follow up regarding the timing, but is there a rule of thumb to invoke here, as I cannot stand all the beeps and tunes for much longer....let alone to run through them all to run the test (bit lazy or maybe just to tired at the moment).

I have received an email from Elvin (RCSMART) and he said he has emailed the factory regarding a manual of sorts, just wait and see.