Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Conical & Non-Conical Manifolds

Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 AM
D.DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conical & Non-Conical Manifolds

Just to get some things clear, I recently got the RBTouring 10 combo from AMain and it came with the RB2659 pipeset. All is well, but I dont know what manifold it has. I looked on the RB website and it says Short Conical, but how can you tell if the manifold is conical or not. From what I think, a conical manifold starts short in pipe diameter and increases as it gets to the pipe, and non-conical manifolds are completely straight from the exhaust port to the pipe.

Would I be able to use Novarossi .12 manifolds with the 2659 pipeset? I want to use the non-conical long manifold for the track I run at, if not then the long conical one.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:57 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Conical & Non-Conical Manifolds

i don't know if it helps but from my understanding if the header gradually increses in size moving towards the tuned pipe i would think it aids in a higher rpm operation. kinda like divergant cones have a gradual flair vs a steep flair( high speed vs low end torque )
Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 PM
D.DJ

Damn, i just lost what I wrote here!!

OK from what I read on RCTech i believe, on a Novarossi Engines thread, somebody wrote:

Conical = more power + less runtime (more fuel consumption, not hard to believe)
Non-Conical = Less power + more runtime (less fuel consuption)

If my engine combo is the short conical manifold, then I sure as hell felt it once the RPMs got high enough!! Im thinking that yes, if the manifold gradually increases in size, then it is a conical manifold, and if it were straight all the way it would be non-conical. If that is the case, then I would definitely like to get the long non-conical Novarossi header as it would give me more than enough power all round, as well as making it go on-pipe earlier (track requires a very low engagement RPM) So either the Long non-conical or the conical manifold would best suit me there for sure, but the question is will it fit the RB 2659 pipe, or are they douches and designed it to specifically fit only RB manifolds?

The engines were made in the same factory as Novarossi's are only not designed by Novarossi, so they should be somewhat interchangeable. I mean, the RB M3 i was planning to get would have been using a Nova pipe and manifold, so that makes me 95% sure it will fit my T10 and pipe. So can anybody verify that?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 AM
LiL_JaSoN

iv got a novarossi 6fin conical fitted to my RB engine and RB pipe.

Novarossi headers fit.

Finish breaking in your engine cos changing the manifold may mess with your tune.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:40 AM
D.DJ

OK, bad news. I went and bought a 6 fin medium manifold, ANDITDOESNTFIT THEPIPE!! The flange on the pipe is too large for the manifold, so it doesnt even just squeeze in as the metal parts dont pass each other ATALL! It fits onto the engine no problems but ohh well, Ill be heading back to the NSLHS (not so local hobby shop) to get my money back hopefully. After some time, Ill get either the 2630 or 2660 pipe with medium header, thats what Steven Jovanovic recommended anyway.

Lil JaSon, how did you get it to fit?? I also know that changing the manifold would definitely mess with the tune, as Im changing from a short to a medium, conical to non-conical, so I would most likely go leaner on the HSN.

I got the front belt put in, and the front diff completely fits with no servosaver contact. Ill test it out tomorrow (weather permitting) and hope that all goes well. I also changed the front toe from 1 degree to 2 degrees, so I think that should be awesome.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:27 AM
LiL_JaSoN

mine just slid in like it did with the stock manifold?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 AM
D.DJ

ORIGINAL: LiL_JaSoN

mine just slid in like it did with the stock manifold?

Lol, Iguess mine is different to yours. maybe the 2659 pipeset was made a little larger, or you have a larger Nova manifold?

Old 10-05-2010, 10:56 PM
LiL_JaSoN

what is the part number of your manifold?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 AM
D.DJ

The numbers on the pipe say #01751-403.
On RB website, i believe the manifold number is 01751-198. Its the 2009 Polished Short Conical manifold, but Im after a long one that fits. Can't find it anywhere that is cheaper than around $70
Old 10-06-2010, 04:54 AM
LiL_JaSoN

i mean the novarossi conical manifold

im not sure what the manifold that came with the RB is, ill have a look.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 AM
D.DJ

Ohh, I have no idea what manifold number it had, I think it is the Novarossi 41619 manifold.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:51 PM
LiL_JaSoN

weird, must be the pipe, but why would they make it slightly larger?

its either the manifold or pipe

i got 41616 6fin conical.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:17 AM
ugglasdav

the 41619 is a long non conical manifold and the 41616 is a medium conical manifold hope this helps you abit
Old 10-08-2010, 01:04 AM
D.DJ

Thanks for the input ugglasdav, but the Nova manifolds wont fit mine. I need the RB one exclusively. Stupid RB, they just had to make it larger, didn't they??