Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

vx 18 engine trouble (hsp warhead)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:28 PM
bigpotey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vx 18 engine trouble (hsp warhead)

bought a new hsp warhead from ebay for 110 GBP. started the break in procedure and on the third tank the engine seized so i dismantled it and freed up the engine.(the piston had become stuck and i jst heated it to remove it) this was all going well untill i tried to start it again... nothing happens. the piston moves up and down now freely but when i pull the pull start the wheels move with it.(think this is something to do with the clutch?) anyway i removed the engine from the car and then mounted it in a vice. i hooked up the feul tank and carburator and went to start the bugger. it still would not start?! i do not know what is wrong with it. this is my first nitro car by the way. i think it is something to do with the carburator as when i put my thumg over the exhaust and pull the starter the engine does not prime. i have to manually remove the pressure pipe from the exhaust and blow down it to get feul to reach the carburator.

anyhelp will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:18 PM
buttdud1122

Default RE: vx 18 engine trouble (hsp warhead)

for one, seizing usually means you have to replace the piston and sleave, but for an hsp, you should just replace the whole car... how lean were you breaking it in? ie how much smoke? engine running temps? and an important this is when you did the cool down between tanks for the break in you did do, did you put the piston at BDC, or bottom dead center? i would check if the carb is on right... did you remove the carb when you took it apart? anyway, i would say invest in a car that will last a while... an hsp warhead is prone to giving you headaches...
Old 10-28-2010, 03:26 PM
bigpotey

ahh ok thanks for replying.

no i did not leave the piston at bdc []. i have however managed to start the car up except it runs only for a short while. the engine cuts out after about 10 seconds and the throttle must be on full otherwise it will not start. i dont really want to replace the car as i have not even had it running yet. and i dont want to give up on it  yet.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:41 PM
buttdud1122

ok... that shouldnt matter too much, though it can cause some problems, and the hsp engine is fairly cheap. check your tuning, throttle linkage, throttle rate (how much the air intake hole opens), and for lose parts on the engine... also, check the glow plug and your glow ignitor battery. i hope this helps!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:52 AM
bigpotey

yes thanks i have been messing with all the screws and i can bring the throttle closer to idle now. just a bit more of careful tuning and i should be there i think.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:46 PM
buttdud1122

have you checked the glow plug? thats a huge one! if its dead, or just not good, it needs to be replaced! if you take it off, hook up the glow ignitor to it, and you see a full glow, its ok. if its only partial or not at all, its dead
Old 10-30-2010, 07:20 AM
bigpotey

ive got a few glow plug and they all light up the same. the wire that is coiled up inside the engine, is that supposed to light up fully? because mine deos not seem to warm up the very last coil of wire? and its the same on all my glow plugs.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:16 AM
buttdud1122

thats normal, but make sure you have a good battery in your ignitor. your engine is probably damaged from being seized.... i would recomend getting a new, better one from a brand name such as os. but even better, you should just get a good car. hsp is a chinese offbrand, and they are prone to failure. they are cheap for a reason... for starting out with nitro, i would recomend the team associated gt2, or the xtm x-cellerator, just the x-cellerator parts are hard to come by and you have to order them online at hobbypeople.net. the hpi firestorm is pretty good too

best of luck to you!