Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

hpi k4.6 or k5.9?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:58 AM
Umar M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hpi k4.6 or k5.9?

Heya!

i've been reading about nitro engines and searching for great bargains out there to replace the k4.6 on my savage x ss and i came across two deals on ebay.

a hpi k5.9 for $160 + shipping (don't know the shipping cost yet)

or a hpi k4.6 for $88 + $18 shipping

does the k5.9 fit directly? if i buy this, what will i have to change? is it even a good idea to place one of these on my savage?

thanks!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 AM
VooDooModified

Default RE: hpi k4.6 or k5.9?

Put an LRP ZR30 Spec 2 in there. $194 on Towerhobbies, will drop right into your Savage with nothing special needed to make it fit. Tons of power and much much more reliable and tough than the HPI 5.9 or 4.6.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Umar M

ORIGINAL: VooDooModified

Put an LRP ZR30 Spec 2 in there. $194 on Towerhobbies, will drop right into your Savage with nothing special needed to make it fit. Tons of power and much much more reliable and tough than the HPI 5.9 or 4.6.
thanks for that, but i wanted to know specifically about those two engines...

Old 02-03-2011, 11:01 AM
SMOKEFAN

The 4.6 is the better of the 2 posted.

The Losi 454 would be a good option and they run about the same price as the 5.9 does. IOt's basically the same engine as the LRP spec 3 .28. People love them, easy to tune, last a long time, and greatpower. Just an option I wanted to throw out
Old 02-03-2011, 02:40 PM
driller2948

The engines you requested info on are all RTR's. Decent mills with a good following, very dependible and reliable. Most of us replace our RTR's with one of the following for better over all performance;

1. Picco P3 .28 $176.99 "as long as you can tune" and I don't mean by engine temps, not being an ass the Picco does take some patience [:@]
2. LRP .28 $169.99
2b. Losi 454 $135.00
3. Dynamite Mach 2 "Big Red" .28 $134.99
4. Go Technology 28R .28 $129.99
5. Axial Spec 2S .28 $129.99

This is a short list of the best! To the most popular bang for your buck!

Not knocking you choices but for a few dollars more or less you could have a more competetive mill
Old 02-03-2011, 04:20 PM
SMOKEFAN

I havent purchased a picco in about 5 years. I bought a couple of .12 when i raced dirt oval and they were complete POS. Quality was horrible, I had to fix airleaks, and they were a ***** to tune and keep a tune with. They had great power and I did very well with them, but They are nowhere the quality of a Novarossi and reliability.

Maybe they are better now but for somebody used to tuning RTR engines it may not be the best option for them. If somebody had the tuning expierence we do I would be more inclined to recommend the Picco. I see so many thread on here from MT and revo owner that can't tune the picco, understand shimming ECT as they are not used to or patient enough for an engine like the picco
Old 02-03-2011, 04:33 PM
driller2948

OK? I gave my opinoin on what I beleive is a good list of mills? And you have your opinion! That's perfectly fine but a lot us us have no support for that mill. It's all good!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:53 PM
SMOKEFAN

I didnt really give my opinion of the picco as I dont own a P3 or bigblock picco, but have had past expierence that will lead me to buy a different mill. Novarossi's can be very hard to breakin also because the metal quality and they are very tight when new. I honestly dont recommend them for RTR people much either. The RTR vehicles usually get good reviews because the engines are easy to tune, glowplug selection is simple and there is not alot of work needed and they hold a tune.

Modding like EB,RB, clockwork ECT deffinetly doesnt help it be easy to tunes by anymeans either. The OP likely wanted to stick with the same brand as he had luck with it in the past, know what gearing it will need, and has a basis for the tuning of the engine. Most people dont need much then what the 4.6 puts out. I race Biweekly and really dont need my RB to win. I could run a Thunder tiger pro .28 and still win.

In the end there are alot of good engines out there and this forum cam blowup anytime with people opinions and usually it does. When it happens nobodys questions get answered.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:59 PM
driller2948

it's all good! You like yours and I like mine! Cool?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM
SMOKEFAN

Um it's going to have to be cool LOL. we are post *****s will will have big problems if it's not HAHAHA. Im not entirely against trying a Picco. I know things can change. Im in the diesel aftermarket business and see it all the time
Old 02-03-2011, 05:57 PM
driller2948

It's all good! I'm cool!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Umar M

haha you guys...

thanks for the info, i ended up getting the k4.6 just because of the price... thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:41 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SMOKEFAN

I didnt really give my opinion of the picco as I dont own a P3 or bigblock picco, but have had past expierence that will lead me to buy a different mill. Novarossi's can be very hard to breakin also because the metal quality and they are very tight when new. I honestly dont recommend them for RTR people much either. The RTR vehicles usually get good reviews because the engines are easy to tune, glowplug selection is simple and there is not alot of work needed and they hold a tune.

Modding like EB, RB, clockwork ECT deffinetly doesnt help it be easy to tunes by anymeans either. The OP likely wanted to stick with the same brand as he had luck with it in the past, know what gearing it will need, and has a basis for the tuning of the engine. Most people dont need much then what the 4.6 puts out. I race Biweekly and really dont need my RB to win. I could run a Thunder tiger pro .28 and still win.

In the end there are alot of good engines out there and this forum cam blowup anytime with people opinions and usually it does. When it happens nobodys questions get answered.

You are mistaken there...my modified is actually easier then a stocker to tune and breakin........Plus the customer has my technical assistance in tuning !

The unfortunate truth is most MT guys can't tune ...thats why none of the manufacturers put any effort into developing any good MT engines, that segment of the market is more hassles then its worth........ its a shame because there are many many sweet running engines out there, but none are made for MT's