Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Traxxas 3.3 Crank Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 AM
masterhacker1989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas 3.3 Crank Repair

So, I was screwing with my tmaxx, and I managed to break the crank a little bit, and Iwas wondering if anyone thought my repair will hold up long-term

What happened is the way tip of the crankshaft that holds the clutch bell on with a snap ring had part of it chip off, so that a snap ring wont stay on there anymore, and I noticed that the crankshaft is threaded witha 3mm thread so...

my idea is to use a washer and a 3mm screw to hold it on (see picture), anyone think it will last me a while? I really dont have money to go buy a new crank right now, I sanded the crank down to get it so that the clutch doesnt move back and forth too much (its slightly tighter than it came from the factory
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	qo39089.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	1584690   Click image for larger version

Name:	je11101.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	1584691   Click image for larger version

Name:	wb74400.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	1584692   Click image for larger version

Name:	cw64454.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	1584693  
Old 03-27-2011, 01:59 AM
masterhacker1989

Default RE: Traxxas 3.3 Crank Repair

By the way I have a Garc Clutch ordered, in case someone was going to comment on the beat up fly wheel
Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: masterhacker1989

So, I was screwing with my tmaxx, and I managed to break the crank a little bit, and I was wondering if anyone thought my repair will hold up long-term

What happened is the way tip of the crankshaft that holds the clutch bell on with a snap ring had part of it chip off, so that a snap ring wont stay on there anymore, and I noticed that the crankshaft is threaded witha 3mm thread so...

my idea is to use a washer and a 3mm screw to hold it on (see picture), anyone think it will last me a while? I really dont have money to go buy a new crank right now, I sanded the crank down to get it so that the clutch doesnt move back and forth too much (its slightly tighter than it came from the factory
As long as you used Loctite on the screw threading into the crankshaft, it should work fine. My Monster truck big block engines' clutchbells are retained with a screw and spacer from the factory. So long as the clutchbell is properly shimmed so it doesnt shift in and out more than .25-.5mm or so it should work fine.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:19 PM
masterhacker1989

Also let me add that I cleaned up my motor since taking that picture, I hadn't had the motor out in like 3 months prior to taking that picture, I know how people like to make comments on stuff like that
Old 03-27-2011, 02:33 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Also let me add that I cleaned up my motor since taking that picture, I hadn't had the motor out in like 3 months prior to taking that picture, I know how people like to make comments on stuff like that
It did look pretty dingy, but I don't care how anyone else takes care of their model. If my cars get wet or full of snow I blow them off with compressed air until they're completely dry before putting them up for the day. When its "spring cleaning" day of the R/C's, I use regular simple green mixed with denatured alcohol (50/50) to clean the chassis and engine off. Spray on, leave set for 10 minutes, spray again and leave set for 5 more minutes and rinse with the garden hose. Blow off with compressed air and the truck is clean. Stubborn oily dirt sometimes requires a little scrubbing but this homebrew cleaner works fantastic on 95% of the grime and oil.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:47 PM
masterhacker1989

I do that too (blowing it off and wiping down what is easily accessible), but mine was full of oil from the exaust and god knows what else, I take everything apart and clean mine like every 1-3 months, I didnt think of simple green though, Ill have to try that, Thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-27-2011, 05:02 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I do that too (blowing it off and wiping down what is easily accessible), but mine was full of oil from the exaust and god knows what else, I take everything apart and clean mine like every 1-3 months, I didnt think of simple green though, Ill have to try that, Thanks for the suggestion
Simple green mixed with denatured alcohol 50/50. I bought a cheap spray bottle and put my mix in there. The mixture will be a cloudy green color. Simple green is awesome stuff - it takes care of the grime the alcohol doesnt loosen up. Alcohol by itself doesnt do a whole lot except get rid of the liquid oil. The cooked-on dirt and oil is more stubborn.

I love the stuff. I buy a half gallon or gallon jug of the stuff once a summer.

I recently picked up a Jato 2.5 and Rustler 2.5 from a guy for $40 as rollers. They were neglected, abused, and the previous owner blew up (5) 2.5 engines between the two cars. Here's the Jato not cleaned yet:

The Rustler was worse than the Jato and after my simple green cleaning, The rustler looked like this:

I havent taken the whole car apart and cleaned with a toothbrush yet, so there's still some grime that didnt come off but it made a heck of a difference.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:50 AM
masterhacker1989

yeah Ive never let any rc vehicle ive ever owned get that  bad well the new bright F150 I found in the garbage and drove a little, but I didn't so much drive It as much as I tortured it, I ended up driving it off a two story roof, and then me and my buddy dropped a tv on it from the second story of his house, because it still attempted to move after its fall, and before that we used it as a moving target for a bb gun