Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Tower Terror Engine

Old 05-01-2011, 12:04 PM
dragus359
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Terror Engine

Hi everyone,

I have a Tower Terror and I am having some serious trouble tuning the engine. Thick smoke only comes out at very high rpms and it's almost inexistent at low to mid rpms, so it seems to be lean most of the time until I open up the throttle. Often, when I richen the hsn in an attempt to cool off the engine, the engine just chokes at mid rpms. When I richen the lsn, it barely makes it a foot before choking. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm using an O.S. #8 glow plug, by the way. I would love it if someone who has dealt with this engine could tell me how you have yours set up in terms of glow plug, hsn, lsn and mid-range. Also, my one-way keeps slipping, is there a better replacement. Finally, I was thinking of just scrapping the engine altogether and getting a different one. Is there a good drop-in for $150 or less? Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Edit:
Also, for anyone who has broken this, do you know of any way to repair the one-way bearing assembly? The bearing itself is fine and works as it should, however the hex-shaped sleeve that covers the bearing is cracked. Because of the crack, the sleeve slips over the bearing. It doesn't have enough grip to turn the bearing that would then turn the engine's shaft. I am sure that this is a common problem, especially for super-start users like me, as I recently bought this bearing as a replacement and the sleeve already cracked. Today, I tried covering the outside of the bearing in super glue and then covering the inside of the sleeve in super glue, but after a few starts, I was right back to where I began - with a malfunctioning one-way.

Any advice is appreciated. My next step is to attempt the fix with epoxy.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 AM
massenrg4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower Terror Engine

I'd try leaning the HSN believe it or not. The HSN affects the mixture at all rpms, including idle. If you lean the HSN a little then richen the LSN you might achieve that delicate, crutial balance between the two.

I've had a similar issue and this seemed to work.