Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Learning never stops....fun with button heads

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Learning never stops....fun with button heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Learning never stops....fun with button heads

In the six weeks I've engaged in 'the hobby', I've tried to learn a little bit every day. Today I learned something...I'm confident most of you know this, but for newbies this might help.

I finally ordered a con rod for my VX-18 engine (thanks to Proanti for the link) and decided to install and fire it up.After taking apart the engine, cleaning iall the pieces, re-installing the clutch assembly I mounted the VX-18.

Actions:
1. In trying to start the engine, I blew out a glow plug.
2. I eventually got it started with a new glow plug, and on second tank (1/4 throttle figure eights) it stopped. Glow plug blew out again. ***??
3. I determined that I was losing compression (as there was a little nitro on that leaked out) and checked my gasket. During the re-build, I decided to place thehead gasketshimfrom the existing engine onto the piston sleeve as this engine does not have an removable button head. It turns out that simply 'placing' the gasket on the piston sleeve and mounting the head is not enough.
4.Recall I used the existing gasket (which looked precise to me).Turns out undereath the heat sink head a button head. The existing gasket did not fit perfectlyon the this, which is why I was losing compression, thus heating the engine, thus blowing plugs. So...I fabricated the gasket with an exacto knife, and now she runs like a champ.

What I learned:
1. Head gaskets must fit PERFECTLY. There is zero room for error.
2. If you consitently blow glow plugs, ensure you are not running too lean. If your needles are stock settings (and you've modified the engine) check for any air leaks.

As mentioned, I'm sure most of you know all this (and this post is mostly in vain), but I love the fact that each day I am learning more and more about these 2-stroke engines....and I am not afraid to experiment to learn....as it's the only way to learn.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 PM
moe7404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Learning never stops....fun with button heads

you are sharper than some. its all in the details, and seeing the details will take you a long way.