Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Help on how to customize cut Starter Box

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 AM
nazUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on how to customize cut Starter Box

Hi Everyone
Right I bought my first Starter Box and to my surprise it does not fit my truck.
Very annoying and it's suppose to be universal/multi whatever they call it, "what a load of crap"
Anyway been on the net trying to see if other people have had the same problem as me and I did find quite a few. What I also found out is that a lot of guys have adapted there boxes by cutting them and lifting the wheel to make it fit or shall I say work.
My question is has anyone done this...
How did you go abouts doing it?
What tools did you use?
Any tips or techniques I should use?
Also did you have to cut the chassis too?
I have a fair idea what to do but want to make sure I do it right before I start.
Thanks in advance
Old 05-01-2012, 03:42 AM
nazUK

Default RE: Help on how to customize cut Starter Box

Forgot to mention...

It's a "Kyosho Multi Starter Box Pro 2.0 (KYO36209)"
My truck is a HSP Savagery Pro also known as Redcat Racing Landslide 21.
But I've modded it so much it's not even stock anymore
Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 PM
8MILLSNIPER007

I do not have any experience with that box, but I do have a XTM universal starter box and for my truggies I had to actually put some spacers under the motor/wheel assembly in order to lift it up high enough to make contact my truggies flywheel.  Then came problem #2, The slot in my chassis was too small.  Easy fix would of been to go out and buy a larger flywheel but I use the Works clutches so that was a no go, what I did was make the slot a little bigger and wider on my chassis by using a dremal with a carbide burr.  Works great, but then came problem # 3 lol.  I could no longer start my onroad cars cause the wheel was too high, so instead of taking the box apart everytime I wanted to run onroad I made a frame out of wood that fit on the top of my box and also fit my onroad car chassis perfect, so now it is a piece of cake to start all of my vehicles.
If you dont have access to a lathe to make spacers you could just stack washers underneath the starter motors and wheel to raise it up in the box.
Good luck
Old 05-04-2012, 06:39 AM
nitroexpress

nazUK went from a stock .18 engine to a .28 roto-start engine. New motor mounts caused the engine to sit higher and therefore make minimal contact with the starter wheel. A larger flywheel should solve the problem without the need to modify the starter box.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:45 AM
8MILLSNIPER007

Nitro- I thought I mentioned that a larger flywheel would be the easiest fix? Unless he is like me and uses an adjustable clutch
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 AM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: 8MILLSNIPER007

Nitro- I thought I mentioned that a larger flywheel would be the easiest fix? Unless he is like me and uses an adjustable clutch
I missed that tidbitof information. + to you.

BTW, he bought a Duratrax 41mm clutch. So I guess the problem is solved.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 PM
nazUK

Hi guys
Sorry for the late reply but like nitro said yes I bought a 41mm flywheel, haven't got it yet as it's on route.
Wouldn't be too keen to say yet problem solved as you never know with these things you try something and then hey presto another problem pops up. But yea without a doubt in theory this is a great solution if it works, may need to grind the chassis hole as it looks a bit small but will give you guys an update in a week when I get the flywheel.

Thanks for all the tips and help anything else you think I should know please keep it coming
Old 05-04-2012, 12:16 PM
nazUK

Thanks for letting me know how it went with your box 8MILLSNIPER007 hopefully may not need to touch my box but like I said in my previous message all depends on flywheel when fitted.

Will keep you guys up to date
Old 05-04-2012, 12:27 PM
8MILLSNIPER007

I hope it works out for you...Best of luck!!  If you do end up needing to mod the box(which I dont think you will) but if you do let me know and I can take some pics of mine...
Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 PM
nazUK

Yea thanks mate will do..... Much appreciated
Old 07-01-2012, 02:58 PM
nazUK

Right thought I give you guys an update been a bit busy cause of work so didn't get around to fitting the flywheel sooner.
Anyway finally fitted the larger flywheel and "Wow" what a difference, it's a bit late in the night so can't test the flywheel working but as it stands visually it so much lower, but not low enough that it sticks out or right next to chassis hole, sits a good 5mm away.
It looks very likely with the bigger flywheel it may work without any modding to the starter box the only problem I have noticed which was something mentioned on another forum is the chassis hole is not big enough and one side of the edge is touching the starter wheel. So it looks like I may need to make the hole under the chassis bigger from one side, which to be honest isn't too bad as it's an easier mod to do rather than modding the starter box.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:05 PM
8MILLSNIPER007

Glad to see it's working out for you man! Just dremel the side that hits open until it clears and your all set!