Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

hpi 4.6 running fine and then?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 AM
lilhorsefly1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hpi 4.6 running fine and then?

hiall, i ran about 5 tanks of fuel in my hpi 4.6 engine i was out yesterday bashing and slung my nicads out of the body oops. went over and killed the engine by pinching the fuel line. got everything ready to bash again and when i went to start it with my pull start it was locking up, iremoved the glow plug and spun it over to clear it out and noticed that when the piston was at the top it was sticking like it did the 1st few time while i was breaking it in, withe the glow plug in it its harder than normal to crank i was wondering if something might hav happened to my engine or is this normal, i havent tried to start it yet i wanted to get sum opinions
Old 06-17-2012, 07:39 AM
savagecommander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hpi 4.6 running fine and then?

if the motor wasnt screaming, and all you did was pich the line while it was idling, you should be fine. the pinch will be tight for a while after you break it in. try heating the motor up, that will loosen it a bit.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:45 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: lilhorsefly1

hi all, i ran about 5 tanks of fuel in my hpi 4.6 engine i was out yesterday bashing and slung my nicads out of the body oops. went over and killed the engine by pinching the fuel line. got everything ready to bash again and when i went to start it with my pull start it was locking up, iremoved the glow plug and spun it over to clear it out and noticed that when the piston was at the top it was sticking like it did the 1st few time while i was breaking it in, withe the glow plug in it its harder than normal to crank i was wondering if something might hav happened to my engine or is this normal, i havent tried to start it yet i wanted to get sum opinions
Something is binding I think. I would use the process of elimination and go through all of the parts from the pullstart to the OWB and ensure those parts are moving freely. I would also go so far as to pull the cylinder head off and make sure nothing made it into the cylinder, and also with the pullstart off, make sure the engine bearings aren't getting stiff or gritty.

Its coincidental that after the mishap the engine is behaving the way it is. Something changed from the time you stopped the engine to the time you tried to restart it. ABC engines dont just get tight after break-in for no reason.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:48 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

if the motor wasnt screaming, and all you did was pich the line while it was idling, you should be fine. the pinch will be tight for a while after you break it in. try heating the motor up, that will loosen it a bit.
If the engine was broke in properly, most of the pinch should be gone. That is, the piston should not "stick" at TDC after 6-7 tanks of fuel from new. If it does still stick at TDC after that amount of run-time, it wasnt ran hot enough during break in. If the engine is warm, it definitely should not stick at TDC.