Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Engine runs but dies immediatly at full throttle

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Engine runs but dies immediatly at full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:00 PM
ewc1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine runs but dies immediatly at full throttle

I am relativly unexpierienced with RC and nitro engines and am having trouble with my .21 nitro dieing at full throttle
I have an 1/8 nitro buggy that I nstalled a starter kit on. ran three tanks of fuel through it (which is at least a year and half old) and ran well. after the third tank the screws on the starter kit backed out, Should have used lock tight. put it back together ran fine for a few minutes when all the sudden the car died when I hit the brakes or accelerated full throttle. I was able to adjust the idle screw which was all the sudden way out of adjustment and the car no longer died when i hit the brakes. I then tried to adjust the low and high end mixture screws with no success.
Also I noticed the exhaust melted the casing of the starter kit and didnt allow the exhaust to completly seat when I reinstalled the starter kit. I was able to get the exhaust to seat after Inotice it, but that did not help the problem.
I know this sounds like a fuel metering problem and the old fuel did not help but it did run well for three or four tanks. Is it possible something in the carb broke instantly creating the issue, is the engine now junk, or could there be another issue I am not aware of.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Erick
Old 06-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Engine runs but dies immediatly at full throttle

When WOT is applied, and the engine starts out with great gusto and then suddenly dies, it's an indication the HSN is set too lean. Try opening the HSN a 1/2 turn and then fine-tune from there.

If it's too rich, it usually won't accelerate well, and often bogs down and may eventually die if very rich.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:01 PM
ewc1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine runs but dies immediatly at full throttle

I tried adjusting the hsn in small and large increments. it didnt matter if I leaned or richened it, the problem didnt improve. The puff of bluish colored smoke it blew when it died gave me the impression it was too rich at high speed, but when I leaned it the engine ran worse.