Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

i think i goofed

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:47 PM
lilhorsefly1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think i goofed

hi alll, i just got a ofna .32 for my savage truck, i was at the hobbieshop and bought 33 percent nitro fuel. my question is will it hurt my motor because manual says use 20 percent

Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 PM
nitroexpress

Default RE: i think i goofed

ORIGINAL: lilhorsefly1

hi alll, i just got a ofna .32 for my savage truck, i was at the hobbieshop and bought 33 percent nitro fuel. my question is will it hurt my motor because manual says use 20 percent

I wouldn't use Traxxas fuel in my weed wacker. But if you have to, 33% shouldn't hurt it.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 PM
SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

I wouldn't use Traxxas fuel in my weed wacker. But if you have to, 33% shouldn't hurt it.
I wouldn't use Crapxxas fuel to clean the air filter in my weed wacker.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't use traxxas fuel if it was the last gallon of fuel on the planet.

but yeah, its terrible.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 PM
lilhorsefly1

well dang now im stuck with a gallon of crap,  what is a good fuel and what percent  and thanks for the traxis info i guess it gave it away when i said 33 percent,  THIS FORUM IS COOL
Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 PM
The_Shark

well dang now im stuck with a gallon of crap, what is a good fuel and what percent and thanks for the traxis info i guess it gave it away when i said 33 percent, THIS FORUM IS COOL
NO this forum is kool

you can run it, its just crap fuel. byrons 20% and power master 25% are the best I have used, and I have tried them all, including traxxas. traxxas and monster power are the worst, they just puke out oil, don't give a good tune and run too hot and foul plugs, crap. (and trust me its not my tuning ability)
Old 08-07-2012, 09:42 PM
SLAYERDUDE

If you didn't open it, take it back! (unless you like gunk floating in your tank and engine after a few weeks of not running)
Crapxxas Bottom fuel...[:'(]

I'm a huge fan of Byrons Gen 2 20% or 30% but can't get it anymore, tried O'Donnells speed blend and was leery of the low/poor oil content... (guys at the track were going thru engines) added my own Klotz Benol to it to up the oil, running VP Powermaster now and it's good so far besides WOO and NHRA run it, there's supposedly some top glow fuel blenders behind it.
Hear good things about Morgans fuels like Sidewinder also.

EDIT- Shark types faster than me, it's KEWL.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 PM
lilhorsefly1

ok im getting byrons yes i opened it and used sum on my last engine which was the savage ss 4.6 and it has no compression now, so i got the ofna .32 and i dont want to screw it up cuz sum dang fuel, maybe ill feed it to sum of these stray cats lol
Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 AM
The_Shark

watch your tune man! get it as rich as it will run, and lean it up little by little till it wont go any faster, then richen it up 1/8-1/4 turn. give that engine plenty of time to break in too.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I have never been a fan of Traxxas fuel. I got a half gallon of trashxxas fuel and all I use it for is starting bonfires and spiking my 2-stroke gasoline for my ice auger for ice fishing. Beyond that, I'd not run it in a model engine, especially 33% nitro. I've never liked how my engines ran on 30%+ nitro. They always smelled hot.

I've used Byron's, blue thunder, Odonnells, and trinity and of those, at 1000 feet above sea level, the trinity needled the best but gave higher engine temps. The Byron's gave a lower engine temp but didn't needle as good. I now make my own fuel, and my recipe that works better than any of the above fuels is 20% nitro, 10% oil at a 50/50 blend of castor and klotz techniplate. At peak needle setting on my SH .28, I have to work it to get to 280*, with 268* being average. My Traxxas 3.3's run consistently at 260* at peak needle settings. Stick with a fuel with 10-12% oil for normal running and personally, I run 14-16% oil for break in doing 10-12 heat cycles of 2-4 minutes each run. Warm it up and let 'er buck.

Ive even ran some leftover Byron's gen2 aero fuel 15%nitro 18% oil (80/20 blend syn/cas) for break in since I had it laying around and it ran fine.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM
JohnP2

Yes I agree, this forum is indeed "kewl". ;-)

One question here; I've always heard you should stick with the percentage you break it in with. Either that or you should never go lower. i.e. If you run a gallon of 30% you should not switch to 20%, but vice-versa is okay.

Can someone please verify and/or explain the reasoning behind this?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 PM
SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Yes I agree, this forum is indeed ''kewl''. ;-)

One question here; I've always heard you should stick with the percentage you break it in with. Either that or you should never go lower. i.e. If you run a gallon of 30% you should not switch to 20%, but vice-versa is okay.

Thanks!
That's a giant load of crap and a wives tale.
No clue what the reasoning is, but I've switched from 20% to 30% and back many times on several engines, just requires a retune after switching.

To add - If the engine isn't designed for 30% you may need to add head shims to lower compression and avoid detonation, then remove head shims if switching back to 20%.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 AM
supertib

Werks fuel is the best you can buy off the shelf......much better then Byrons, VP or OD......
Old 08-09-2012, 04:45 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Yes I agree, this forum is indeed ''kewl''. ;-)

Thanks!
That's a giant load of crap and a wives tale.
No clue what the reasoning is, but I've switched from 20% to 30% and back many times on several engines, just requires a retune after switching.

To add - If the engine isn't designed for 30% you may need to add head shims to lower compression and avoid detonation, then remove head shims if switching back to 20%.
The reasoning behind not switching nitro percentages is the engine breaks in at a given temp and running more or less nitro changes the temp the engine runs effecting the expansion of the liner, piston, etc. I've switched nitro content in my fuel a few different times and havent noticed much of a difference in how the engine runs. More nitro gives more power, but at the expense of the fuel itself. I run 20% all the time, with no intent to ever run more than that as its sort of a waste for a pure-basher like myself. I might try 25-30% in my Jato for speed runs but for normal bashing, you only need 15-20% to get good power from the engine and have it needle well.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:48 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: supertib

Werks fuel is the best you can buy off the shelf......much better then Byrons, VP or OD......
What kind of synthetic oil does Werks use in their fuels? Are they using Aerosave or Motul Micro, or Klotz like everyone else in the U.S.? I haven't found an Ester based synthetic available in the U.S. thats made here.

The best synthetics are Aerosave and Motul Micro, which are available in Europe and are far better than the synthetics available here in the U.S. They're expensive - around $75 a gallon, but they are far better oils.

I'm curious to find out what makes Werks that much better than anything else...
Old 08-09-2012, 07:40 AM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I'm curious to find out what makes Werks that much better than anything else...
Ron had this to say

"We released our fuel back in I think 2005. Before we released it we spent a little over 2 year of doing nothing more than testing oils. Since we released our fuel we have never changed the formulation, at all! If you look at everyone else, Byrons is on Gen II, OD is on to Speed Blend, Sidewinder has Team Stryke. We still have good old 2005 formula Werks "Race Blend" fuel which still imho performs better & protects better than anything else on the market which is why we have never, ever needed to re-formulate our fuel. We were leaps and bounds ahead of everyone when we released our fuel in 2005 and we are still imho better than everyone else in 2012. The reason? The lubricants, which took aver 2 years of testing for us to figure out! That is why I do not tell anyone, anything about what is in our fuel other than it is a combination of castor and synthetic.

Let me ask you a question. If I told you it had 1% oil in it or 20% oil in it what difference does that actually make to you? None right? It's not like you are going to tune your engine differently right? Run different gearing? Dye your hair purple lol? All that matters is that it performs great, protects your engine great and just works right? So why worry about something that does not make a difference to you and is not going to effect anything that you do lol! Not talking about you but I always find it funny when I read on forums people saying that "I'm not going to run brand X fuel unless I know what the oil percentage is!" I always picture in my mind someone walking into KFC and saying "I'm not going to eat that chicken unless I know what the Colonel's secret recipe is!" It just does not happen! People will put the food in their body without knowing whats in it but will refuse to put some fuel into their toy car engine if they do not know what's in it lol! Seems a little backwards to me."
Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 AM
The_Shark

why do you get blue face smileys? all I have are yellow guys and my second page of smileys don't work.[]
Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I don't really care how much oil is in it. If I were running premix, I simply would want to know what kind of oils are used. At the end of the day, I don't really care what brand is the best as I mix my own for 1/4-1/3 the cost of premix and I have zero problems with it.

Gotta love those proprietary trade secrets.