Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

HSN came out of carb: IMPORTANT FOLLOW-UP

Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

HSN came out of carb: IMPORTANT FOLLOW-UP

Old 08-19-2012, 05:01 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HSN came out of carb: IMPORTANT FOLLOW-UP

A few weeks ago, I noticed the HSN on my Losi 3.4 carb was loose.I tightened it, no problem. Today, it came out altogether.

In a nutshell, I am unable to "screw" it back in to the carb. I have tried everything, but to no avail. The only thing I can think of is either some piece is missing, or the threading in the hole where the HSN screws into has lost its threading at the top. When I take the inlet off, it threads in fine, and there is about a .0005 mm variance between threading it without the inlet vs with it on.

At this point, I only know to purchase a new carb (as it does not seem serviceable). If there is a specific part that (some kind of coupling) it's gone.

The crazy thing is I've not messed with it at all. It just "happened".

I know it is a shot in the dark, but does anyone have a solution?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32861.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	1793402  
Old 08-19-2012, 05:42 PM
JohnP2

Default RE: HSN came out of carb: IMPORTANT FOLLOW-UP

The only thing I can think of is to put some lictite on the HSN housing to screw it in as it is touching metal to metal but not hitting a thread.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 PM
nitroexpress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

A few weeks ago, I noticed the HSN on my Losi 3.4 carb was loose.I tightened it, no problem. Today, it came out altogether.

In a nutshell, I am unable to "screw" it back in to the carb. I have tried everything, but to no avail. The only thing I can think of is either some piece is missing, or the threading in the hole where the HSN screws into has lost its threading at the top. When I take the inlet off, it threads in fine, and there is about a .0005 mm variance between threading it without the inlet vs with it on.

At this point, I only know to purchase a new carb (as it does not seem serviceable). If there is a specific part that (some kind of coupling) it's gone.

The crazy thing is I've not messed with it at all. It just "happened".

I know it is a shot in the dark, but does anyone have a solution?

Thanks!

Are you talking about the fuel inlet banjo fitting being .0005mm? Most are about 5mm. But if the carb body threads are gone, I would think a new carb body would be the only sure fix. You might be able to find a longer inlet screw, but diameter and thread pitch might make this route a lost cause. I don't believe Losi sells 3.4 carb bodys, so a new carb might be the only solution.

When you tightened the inlet the first time, was there a bit of "Superman" involved? Carb body castings are soft and composite bodys are even softer.

You could take off both washers in thehope ofcatching some threads. Then epoxy the area and hope for the best.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Is that carb metal or "composite"(plastic)?
Looks like it's plastic where the HSN tube goes in, CA would be better than loctite in that case...
Old 08-19-2012, 05:53 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Lol I do see Vice grip marks on that HSN housing...[X(]
Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Anthoop

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

Lol I do see Vice grip marks on that HSN housing...[X(]
That was my very first thought.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM
JohnP2

Thanks for the replies. No vice grip was used - just a needle nose to tighten it (I was too lazy to find the right sized wrench). The first time, I just tightened it by hand. And no - I did not use my he-man strength to tightern it. ;-)

I'm unable to tighten itnow even byhand. I guess my only choices now are to but some CA on the threading or buy a new carb.

Questions:
1. My concern with CA glue is that it might seep into the engine. Should I just put a "dab" on the housing threads and the hold it until it bonds?
2. Will the heat of the engine loosen the CA glue (once again seeping into the engine)?
3. "Washers" were mentioned. Either the washers were lost when it came out, or it does not use washers. Will not having washers be a guarantee to leak fluid, or will the CA glue take care of that?

You guys are awesome and Ireally appreciate and respectyour consultation here!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Anthoop

CA is brittle, I would not imagine the temperature would affect it...more the viabration.
Sure there would be ways to bond the housing back but a better and more permanent fix for you would be a new carb.

From the picture I would imagine they do not use washers and use the plastic of the inlet body to seal the HSN housing, as said above when you are tightening these things be very careful.....the problem with using grips is that you will find it very hard to gauge the torque you are applying, using a spanner (wrench) will be better.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 AM
nitroexpress

Personnally, I wouldn't trust any glue based fix. It may work, it may not.A new carb for $38 would eliminate the maybe's.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: Anthoop
Sure there would be ways to bond the housing back but a better and more permanent fix for you would be a new carb.
Ihave concludedthis is the way to go. I can use the existing carb for needed parts going forwarded.

From the picture I would imagine they do not use washers and use the plastic of the inlet body to seal the HSN housing
WOW! You have quite the eye there, sir. You are spot on. Very impressive.

will find it very hard to gauge the torque you are applying, using a spanner (wrench) will be better.
Seeing as my wife is British, my mom isNorthern Irish (and I lived in Belfast from 1988-1990 - yes I saw some sh*t)....anytime the word "spanner"is injected into the conversation it has a deep place in my heart....I will heed this advice,sir. ;-)

NOTE: If anyone can find a complete Losi 3.4 carb on eBay - please let me know. Thanks! I do plan on contacting Horizon tomorrow and see if they want to spend 40 bucks to keep a customer.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:24 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

NOTE: If anyone can find a complete Losi 3.4 carb on eBay - please let me know. Thanks! I do plan on contacting Horizon tomorrow and see if they want to spend 40 bucks to keep a customer.
Are you going to tell them the problem is due to a manufactoring error or user error?The first might be a tough sell due tothe fact that you ran thevehicle for some time.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See that aluminum cap? Unscrew and move it to where the needle was. Now thread the needle into the top hole. Congratulations! It's fixed, and you can access the needle without removing the body. I have a feeling something stripped, the aluminum cap threads in deeper, so it should be able to grab what's left of the threads.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:20 PM
JohnP2

Proanti, I am not following. Can you pin-point what you mean by "aluminum cap". Are you refering to the needle itself? I adjusted it in various forms but did not remove it.

Thanks

Name:	Qn38302.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1794529  
Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Anthoop

Profanti is talking about the flat headed allen screw in the carb body, (in the first picture it is directly above where the HSN should screw in.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 AM
JohnP2

Profanti is talking about the flat headed allen screw in the carb body, (in the first picture it is directly above where the HSN should screw in.
Oh my. You know...I actually tried thisafter giving up on threading it back in its original hole. Then I thought, "Nah....it CAN'T be that easy of a fix." andthen removed it. ;-)

Attached is pic of it now. Have not re-installed the engine and tried it yet, but if this works, I owe you a LOT!!

Name:	Ec87987.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	1795112  
Old 08-26-2012, 01:03 PM
JohnP2

Guys,

So I got it started. I let it idle for about 20 seconds (took the temp - it was was 184 degrees).

I gave it a little throttle and it made an odd squeeling noise fora split second than stopped. I was able to get it started again but it dies after a few seconds. I re-tuned the engine back to factory settings (they were pretty much asstock settings anyway), and it won't start now. It turns over, but only for a few seconds max.

Itappears to be getting fuel (I attached a pic ofthe tubing).

Some thoughts I on what it can be:
1. The "squeeling" sound came when I gave it throttle. Remember that I had just put on a new clutch system. Perhaps something went wrong? However, I did drive it once (shortly) after putting on the new clutch. ALSO, let's say the clutch just got completey jacked - would this affect starting the car?

2. I could have messed up the needle itself somehow (even though I did not remove the needle from it's housing.

3. There was no washer on the housing thread - not sure if it comes with one or not, if it did I've lost it. Even if there is one, it would be to prevent fuel from leaking (I believe). No fuel leaks anywhere.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Name:	Mk27396.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	1795476  
Old 08-26-2012, 02:46 PM
SLAYERDUDE

If there's a problem with the clutch it won't start, or idle if you do get it to fire.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Anthoop

A squealing sound would mean something is rubbing..are the rotating bits shimmed correctly? The flywheel is not contacting the engine...and the clutchbell is not contacting the flywheel?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 AM
JohnP2

The flywheel is not contacting the engine...and the clutchbell is not contacting the flywheel?
Nope and nope. There is .5 mm play on the clutch-bell, it spins freely, etc (at least it did after I put it all back together). I will take a look at the clutch tonight. I'm hoping that is what it is.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 05:14 PM
JohnP2

To follow up - I checked my new clutch set-up and everything seems fine. Consequently, I bit the bullet and bought a new 3.4 carb on eBay (they are becoming a bit difficult to find, BTW).

I will pop it on this weekend and respond with the results. It sucks not being able to drive my beloved 810, and have vowed that I won't break in my new Savage until I get the 810 back running. ;-)