Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

What do I have?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:10 PM
subdismal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I have?!

Hello,

I joined the site because I wanted to get back into RC cars. I'm going to attach some pictures of a nitro car I've had for close to 20 years or so. This used to be a huge weekend activity with my dad and I, but after growing up and all, it hasn't even been fired up in probably ten years.I'd like to restore and/or upgrade this thing as it was such a huge part of my childhood and my relationship with my father, who has now fallen ill and is unable to really help me with it. I just figured it'd be a neat and meaninful little hobby to pick back up.

So, what I'm looking for is some advice and input from the experts here. Unfortunately, due to the car not being ran in so long, the engine seems to be locked up. I've tried soaking with penetrating oil to free it up and it has been soaking for about the last two weeks, but to no avail. I'm not sure if the thing can still be repaired. But I mainly need to know exactly what I have here, what it may take to get it into a good, working condition, and whether you guys think the motor can be salvaged or if it's even worth trying. I'm posting several angles of the buggy and the controller, so hopefully you guys can give me as much technical information as you can so I can look up any sort of documentation I need for my work.

Thanks, in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96506.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1804883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21661.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1804884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51147.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1804885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33868.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1804886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep86375.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1804887  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What do I have?!

Kyosho Burns.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:43 PM
nitroexpress

1/8 kyoshoburns (maybe turbo)4wd buggy

Burns had a shaft-drive 4WD system for the first time in Kyosho.

The differences between burns and turbo burns are chassis, shock-absorber, fuel-tank, muffler, brakepad, and so on.

Burns and turbo burns correspond to "inferno MP1" and " inferno MP2".

Old 09-25-2012, 02:13 PM
subdismal

So, is it worth repairing or working with? The setup currently has to use a battery and a special starter connected to said battery to turn the bottom crank and also uses igniter plugs. I understand more modern equipment uses a pull system. I'm just not sure if it'd be worth trying to salvage the locked up motor or just try to upgrade to something else, or just put it on the shelf to reminisce about the good times with my old man.

Edit: How can I determine if it's a turbo version? I have more detailed pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88175.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1804915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97723.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1804916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49216.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1804917  
Old 09-25-2012, 04:04 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely hold onto it, these are becoming quite valuable. I would clean it up a bit, put it in a box, then forget about it for about 10 years. Don't modify it or anything.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: subdismal

So, is it worth repairing or working with? The setup currently has to use a battery and a special starter connected to said battery to turn the bottom crank and also uses igniter plugs. I understand more modern equipment uses a pull system. I'm just not sure if it'd be worth trying to salvage the locked up motor or just try to upgrade to something else, or just put it on the shelf to reminisce about the good times with my old man.

Edit: How can I determine if it's a turbo version? I have more detailed pictures.
Racersusually use a starter box with their vehicles. RTR vehicles andbashers usually prefer the pull start system.

Use your search engine (Google oretc.) to search for more information. After all, you have the vehicle andthe interest. Personally, I'd shelve it for the memories. Parts and etc. are going to be next to impossible to find.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 PM
subdismal

The thing is I don't know if the monetary value would surpass the sentimental value it has from when I was a kid, running this thing with my [now ill] father. I'd kind of like to get this thing ready for the generation, ya know? 

I think we paid about $150-200 for this thing nearly 20 years ago. Unless you can project a dollar amount value now or ten years from now, I'd be more interested in restoring it for my father while he's still alive or for my future children. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. 

By the way, and I hate to sound trite, but I still don't really know what I have between the buggy and the receiver/controller. 
Old 09-25-2012, 04:10 PM
subdismal

Thank you. This makes a ton of sense. I suppose it's time to start fresh.

Sorry for the double post.

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: subdismal

Racersusually use a starter box with their vehicles. RTR vehicles andbashers usually prefer the pull start system.

Use your search engine (Google oretc.) to search for more information. After all, you have the vehicle andthe interest. Personally, I'd shelve it for the memories. Parts and etc. are going to be next to impossible to find.