Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

to resleeve or not?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:06 PM
gcoad76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to resleeve or not?!?!

ok i have a rs4 .15fe and the motor is shot. as far as i can tell its just the sleeve no more good pinch the bearing seem fine this engine has a little over a gallon ran thru it. as i have a very low budget im going to try to order a new sleeve and piston from my loc hobby stor. i am hoping i can get the chrome sleeve and piston set from a rs4 15ss. i also foun a rs4 4 on ebay that im bidding on the bid started at 50 bucks so i will be trying for that. i thought it would be nice to hava parts car as mine is getting a lil worn. so does any body have any input on doing the resleeve and piston kit . lemme know it .ses on the hpi instruction site that i can turn me fe into a abc thought that might be the cheapest esiest way to go till i get sum real flo in my pocket. bashin ona budget aint easy
Old 09-29-2012, 12:25 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: to resleeve or not?!?!

ORIGINAL: gcoad76

ok i have a rs4 .15fe  and the motor is shot. as far as i can tell its just the sleeve no more good pinch the bearing seem fine this engine has a little over a gallon ran thru it. as i have a very low budget im going to try to order a new sleeve and piston from my loc hobby stor. i am hoping i can get the chrome sleeve and piston set from a rs4 15ss. i also foun a rs4 4 on ebay that im bidding on the bid started at 50 bucks so i will be trying for that. i thought it would be nice to hava parts car as mine is getting a lil worn. so does any body have any input on doing the resleeve and piston kit . lemme know it .ses on the hpi instruction site that i can turn me fe into a abc thought that might be the cheapest esiest way to go till i get sum real flo in my pocket.                             bashin ona budget aint easy
Your Nitrostar FE is a pretty weak engine by comparison to anything made today. IMHO, dump the whole engine as its not worth "hopping up" with a new piston and sleeve. If you're on a very limited budget, I would have no qualms with running a Traxxas 2.5r engine. I have had several and all were good engines for the money. Otherwise you could opt for a Dynamite Mach .19T engine. They are said to be decent RTR engines as well.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:28 AM
gcoad76

as i see it i cant find another motor for 50 bucks and i just cand spend 100.00 + bucks on a better motor im stuck tryin ti resleeve or its no nitro action for me
Old 09-29-2012, 07:32 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact Mecoa, they manufactured this engine, and can supply you with new parts for A LOT cheaper than you will find elsewhere. Unfortunately, you won't be able to find a quality motor for $50.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:21 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

as i see it i cant find another motor for 50 bucks and i just cand spend 100.00 + bucks on a better motor im stuck tryin ti resleeve or its no nitro action for me
Start saving your money. You are not going to find the parts you need, and even if you did, I doubt its going to last long. The .15FE engine I have has no pinch at all and its never run.

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Contact Mecoa, they manufactured this engine, and can supply you with new parts for A LOT cheaper than you will find elsewhere. Unfortunately, you won't be able to find a quality motor for $50.
The Nitrostar FE .15 engine was made in Japan. The example I have has a stamp right on the side of the crankcase. It has two mounting options, normal side lugs and also screw bosses on the very bottom of the crankcase. I dont know who really made the engine, but the two companies that come to mind as possibilities are OS and Toki and I doubt its an OS. Even OS is better quality than this engine looks to be...

The engine is out of production for some time now, parts are scarcely available for this (sorry..) crappy example of an engine.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 AM
gcoad76

ok i found a os cv-rx .18 for around 100 bucks some one mentioned the dynamite line but i really need somethin i can just drop in i really cant afford a new exhaust system to go with any other engine and i need to stick with a rotary carb set up. so after talkin w/ my finacial advisor im pretty sure its gonna be the os cv-rx a few more bucks gets me the engine mounts and i can use everything else on my car without additional modifications. i thank you all for the input it has helped alot. and i am hopping the a increase in engine size and quality willl give me sum long wanted speed out of this antiquated ride
Old 09-29-2012, 12:07 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ok i found a os cv-rx .18 for around 100 bucks some one mentioned the dynamite line but i really need somethin i can just drop in i really cant afford a new exhaust system to go with any other engine and i need to stick with a rotary carb set up. so after talkin w/ my finacial advisor im pretty sure its gonna be the os cv-rx a few more bucks gets me the engine mounts and i can use everything else on my car without additional modifications. i thank you all for the input it has helped alot. and i am hopping the a increase in engine size and quality willl give me sum long wanted speed out of this antiquated ride
An OS 18 for $100? Is it used? Never seen an OS anything cheaper than $140 new. Nonetheless, good luck with it.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:50 PM
gcoad76

well what i thought was a oc cv-rx .18 is actually a cv-rx .15. so in my excited state i had a brief moment of dislexia and got the numbers confused. my brain was not listening to my eyes. so i bought it. and now i am patiently waitin  for the ups truck to honk his horn in my driveway. i am hoping for a noticable diffrence in speed increase. i am betting any new power plant will be faster than a worn out hpi 15 fe. so now i am going to be reading up on how to break in a new motor and hopefully by next thursday i will be back on the gas rippin up and down my narrow street . i cant effin wait to hit the parking lot for my once a week lot bashing