Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Motor Tuning Problem - Almost dies after WOT

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Motor Tuning Problem - Almost dies after WOT

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 PM
iDrift10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Tuning Problem - Almost dies after WOT

Well before the colder weather my Revo was running perfect. However, now that the temp has dropped 30 degrees I'm having a little issue. I know that when the temp drops you should richen the HSN because of the denser air. My Revo was running a little warm (280-300) so I richened the HSN to get the temps down. Now that the temps are in a respectable range I'm having a issue after wide open throttle. From take off all the way through the power band the engine runs perfect; nice trail of smoke, nice performance, nice temps. However as soon as I let off the gas after a high speed run the car drops to a idle that is barely running then after a few seconds or if I tap the gas the idle returns to a perfectly fine healthy idle. If I lean the HSN back up to get rid of the almost dying issue the car over heats. Ran a few tanks trying to trouble shoot it and I just can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Side Note: Running the Picco 26 Red Dot in it.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 AM
Ttowntoolman

Default RE: Motor Tuning Problem - Almost dies after WOT

It sounds like you should richen the HSN more.........
Old 11-16-2012, 07:52 AM
iDrift10

The more I richen the HSN to more it adds to the problem
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Anthoop

I agree..richen it a bit. Ignore the temps, adjust the needles to make it run properly.
Also ensure the idle screw is controlling the minimum throttle gap.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 AM
iDrift10

Richening the HSN doesn't make it run any better, it makes it more and more worse.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Ttowntoolman

Hard to diagnos on the net without seeing smoke and hearing the sound. LSN too rich could possibly do this, but it would be flooded out and smoke like heck upon re-start.

Maybe your tune was pig rich on the lsn and lean on the hsn before the weather change. Now it is beyond running too rich on the lsn with the weather change. Lean it out a couple of hours and look for improvement.

Good luck with you problem, maybe someone will chime in with your solution, this is all I got based on your info.....Cheers.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:21 AM
iDrift10

Idle gap and LSN needle are working like a charm. Idles beautifully, has perfect accel and smoke after idling. It's just the weather cooled down so I had to richen up the HSN needle a bit because it was getting to hot. If I lean out the HSN the problem goes away but it runs to hot. If I richen it it almost dies after WOT but runs normal temps. I've tried richening the LSN but it idles real high and tries to walk.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 AM
racingfan48

you richened the lsn and it tried to drive off? thats kindof weird.  normally its if you lean it.  richen the hsn to and just make sure the power ban is good and has a good healthy stream of smoke.  i never really watch the engine temp. they just use it as a guide line.  all motors will run differently.  if it continues to want to almost die when you let off try leaning the lowspeed just a bit and adjust the idle screw if it spikes up.  what it sounds like is what my Savage XL wanted to do all the time.  it always would actually completely die after a WOT pass.  i reset all the needles and tuned the high speed then the low and idle.  what happens really when the truck does that is the high speed needle is too rich and when you let off that unburned fuel lugs the motor up a bit then once the LSN takes over and meters out the right amount of fuel it comes back to normal.  thats what i found has worked for me, hopefully that helps and if not just reset the needles.  does the carb have a mid range? my experience has been any motor with an adjustable mid range causes problems.  im looking to find a carb that will fit the 5.9 to get rid of the mid range because the motor looses any kind of consistency but now im rambling.  try putting the needle back to where it was and make extremely small adjustments like 1/12, to 1/16 of a turn, it doesnt take much. on my inferno gt 2 it required only a 1/12 of a turn to get it running from 75 degrees to 45 the other day