Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

replacement engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:17 AM
loves nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement engine

I have a RS4 RTR 3EVO, it came stock with an HPI T-15 engine. It's always been a good engine but I would like a faster engine, so could you guys recommend a replacement drop-in engine for my RS4 RTR 3Evo?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Anthoop

Default RE: replacement engine

Depends how much you are spending...but I guess a OS 18 CV will drop straight in.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Because I think OS are grossly overpriced namely for the lack of quality, I'd suggest either an SH/Dynamite/Mach/XTM/etc. engine for the budget minded, and for a few more $$$, go Picco or Novarossi. Thunder Tiger makes good running engines as well, along the same budget lines as the SH/Dynamite/etc. engines although quality-wise, I think the TT has the SH line beat by a little bit. Some TT engines outpower OS engines even.

Oh.. and sometimes OS' Nickel plated liners peel. Then you have an expensive paperweight.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Anthoop

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Because I think OS are grossly overpriced namely for the lack of quality, I'd suggest either an SH/Dynamite/Mach/XTM/etc. engine for the budget minded, and for a few more $$$, go Picco or Novarossi. Thunder Tiger makes good running engines as well, along the same budget lines as the SH/Dynamite/etc. engines although quality-wise, I think the TT has the SH line beat by a little bit. Some TT engines outpower OS engines even.

Oh.. and sometimes OS' Nickel plated liners peel. Then you have an expensive paperweight.

He needs a side exhaust...and the 18CV is ABC....but other than that it is all down to budget.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

He needs a side exhaust...and the 18CV is ABC....but other than that it is all down to budget.
And any of the brands of engines I listed can be had with side exhaust.

Haven't seen an actual chrome plated OS liner. All I've seen are all ABL/ABN. OS has gotten cheap in quality and high in price. Kinda shoddy IMHO.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 AM
nitroexpress

Haven't seen an actual chrome plated OS liner. All I've seen are all ABL/ABN. OS has gotten cheap in quality and high in price. Kinda shoddy IMHO.
OS Engine 21913300 Cylinder & Piston Assembly 21TM

Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Ttowntoolman

Depends how much you are spending...but I guess a OS 18 CV will drop straight in.
+1 Great choice lots of power and a very long lasting engine.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

OS Engine 21913300 Cylinder & Piston Assembly 21TM
[img][/img]
I am impressed. Must be just some of the car engines that get the real ABC piston and liners. I still wouldn't buy one though. $82+ for a 18CV piston and liner is ridiculous, the 21TM at $98 is even more ridiculous. The brass must be gold plated or something.. Crazy.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Anthoop

I am impressed. Must be just some of the car engines that get the real ABC piston and liners. I still wouldn't buy one though. $82+ for a 18CV piston and liner is ridiculous, the 21TM at $98 is even more ridiculous. The brass must be gold plated or something.. Crazy.
Take a look at the prices of Nova pistons/sleeves. [:-]
Not many car engines (cheap or expensive) are worth repairing if it needs a sleeve because you are going to put in a rod for peace of mind..and the bearings....no point.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Anthoop

double post..
Old 12-18-2012, 12:05 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Take a look at the prices of Nova pistons/sleeves. [:-]
Not many car engines (cheap or expensive) are worth repairing if it needs a sleeve because you are going to put in a rod for peace of mind..and the bearings....no point.
There is a BIG difference in quality between OS and Novarossi though. I'm willing to bet that the Nova is going to last twice as long as the OS, if not longer (if properly cared for and ran). It just bugs me that so many people go right to OS like they're on this solid gold pedestal or something.

I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"; If the conrod and bearings are still good, and a liner set can be had cheaply enough, I'd just resleeve the engine and go beat on it for another 10 gallons.

But thats just my opinion.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 AM
Anthoop

I am not trying to put OS on a pedestal...but for the car in question the .18CV is by all accounts a very good choice. I presume you have had some bad experience with OS?
I love NovaRossi engines (so I am not trying to knock them), but which engine was it you were recommending for this application?
Bearing in mind just now you thought that all OS engines were ABL/ABN, I find it hard to understand how you know the quality and how long it will last?
Pistons and sleeves are not cheap and in general are not worth replacing.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:10 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I am not trying to put OS on a pedestal...but for the car in question the .18CV is by all accounts a very good choice. I presume you have had some bad experience with OS?
I love NovaRossi engines (so I am not trying to knock them), but which engine was it you were recommending for this application?
Bearing in mind just now you thought that all OS engines were ABL/ABN, I find it hard to understand how you know the quality and how long it will last?
Pistons and sleeves are not cheap and in general are not worth replacing.
I am sorry, but cylinder plating should never peel. OS is the only manufacturer I've heard about in the last 15 years that had the plating peel off the inside of the liner. That in and of itself is reason enough for me to NOT recommend that line of engines. I'd rather have a Traxxas sport .15 with single needle carb over any OS. I'm sure you and everyone else thinks I might be crazy, but I have yet to wear an engine out and I plan to keep it that way.

Piston and liner sets are expensive, but if the engine is treated properly, the P/L set should outlast the bearings.

edit: If I had the equipment and skill, (barring in mind I ever wear out an ABC P/L) I'd convert the P/L over to a hardened/nitrided steel liner and hand lapped meehanite piston. This is how our engines originated back in the '20s and '30s.

Now that we've gotten so far off topic; lets give the topic back to the OP.