Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

4-shoe clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4-shoe clutch

If 3-shoesare better than 2....are 4-shoes better than3?

I'm looking to upgrade my clutch on my D8T and considering M2C6075. Is there any down-side to going with 4 shoes?

Thanks!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Anthoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4-shoe clutch

I have never tried a 4 shoe setup...but here are my two pennys:-
If you are not having problems (now ) with your 3 shoe then why do you need to change?
I read most of your posts (if not all) here, so I know you do some racing but so far it is your control that is the limiter to performance....not the clutch.
I see a lot of adjustment potential with the setup you mentioned, which is fantastic if you are able to lap consistently and are able to distinguish the differences between the changes you make.
I also noticed your son looking for an upgrade for his 2 shoe...maybe there is a little plan there......
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM
JohnP2

Thanks for the reply.-MNo issue with the clutch but would like to upgrade if possible. I DO prefer aluminum over composite, so that much I know I'll enjoy. The intent however is to understand a four shoe would offer....heck, why not a five shoe. ;-)

Regarding Andrew going from 2 to 3.....I can honestly say the single bigget difference I've seen on a specific upgrade to a car was upgrading my Losi 810 to a 3-shoe M2C setup. Anyway, I personally think his Losi has a 3-shoe, but he'll need to take it apart to see for himself. ;-)
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM
rccheech

IMO The benifit of the four shoe clutch system is you are able to make kind of a two stage engagement with two different spring rates directly across from one another, one pair will come in sooner than the other for planting power to the wheels more evenly, some people like it some like other designs....test and tune will tell you what will suit your driving style.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:55 PM
supertib

M2C makes an amazing clutch...........it would be a great upgrade...you will notice your engine will put its power down more effectively as opposed to the stock clutch....you will notice a big boost in low end snap
Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 PM
JohnP2

Yea, I have an M2C on by 810and it RIPS!

I'm finding clutch-tuning to be my favorite part of tuning so far. I like to try a variety of set-ups, and that M2C 4-shoe has it. I'll upgrade once the stock starts to wear (and I like to keep clutch parts like new so we'll see how tough D8T stock clutches are.) So far I'm getting decent snap, but want to try some 1.1's for higher RMPs to garner that snap.

On a side note: M2C is a great company. When I first ordered from them, I spoke with the owner, and he gave me a 15 minute dissertation on nitro clutches (and I tried to soak it all in). I had a shimming question once and he again was great on going into detail on clutch theory. ;-)
Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

Yea, I have an M2C on by 810and it RIPS!

I'm finding clutch-tuning to be my favorite part of tuning so far. I like to try a variety of set-ups, and that M2C 4-shoe has it. I'll upgrade once the stock starts to wear (and I like to keep clutch parts like new so we'll see how tough D8T stock clutches are.) So far I'm getting decent snap, but want to try some 1.1's for higher RMPs to garner that snap.

On a side note: M2C is a great company. When I first ordered from them, I spoke with the owner, and he gave me a 15 minute dissertation on nitro clutches (and I tried to soak it all in). I had a shimming question once and he again was great on going into detail on clutch theory. ;-)

1.1 springs are really only suitable for engines that lack bottom end power....when you high stall a decent engine it will just cause the clutch to overheat and usually will end up reducing the snap you initially installed the 1.1 to get..........A hot clutch is a bad clutch.....and 1.1 springs is the fastest way to add heat to a clutch.................
Old 02-25-2013, 06:53 AM
BChiz

I have a question pertaining to the proper clutch to use. I have an Associated MGT monster truck and am a big basher. I looked up the M2C clutches and was wondering if the Universal 3-shoe clutch with springs and flywheel (M2C8050) would be a good replacement for the factory stock clutch setup. Also would you probably use the .9 or 1.0 springs with this also? Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 AM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: BChiz

I have a question pertaining to the proper clutch to use. I have an Associated MGT monster truck and am a big basher. I looked up the M2C clutches and was wondering if the Universal 3-shoe clutch with springs and flywheel (M2C8050) would be a good replacement for the factory stock clutch setup. Also would you probably use the .9 or 1.0 springs with this also? Thanks for any advice.
I'd give them a call at M2C regarding the setup that will work for your MGT. Regarding springs, I've learned the only way to know is to try it. I typically like heavier springs, but as Neal alluded to above, it could differ from engine to engine as to what works. You can also try adding weight/reducing weightto your flywheel as well as mixing shoe types and springs etc. M2C provides a lot of tuning options, which is always nice.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 AM
BChiz

Thanks John. I will try to reach them.