Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Sh .18 just won't start. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 03:06 PM
simplemitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sh .18 just won't start. Help?

I picked up a nitro R/C truck at a garage sale a few weeks ago and have had it running a few times for a few minutes (get a lap or two around my yard and then stall it and it wouldn't restart). I've fixed a few problems I had found such as a missing exhaust manifold gasket, a rotted fuel line causing an air leak, a torn manifold/muffler coupler and a nasty looking glow plug. I currently can not get it to run or start at all. It looks like the fuel is not feeding into the carb after priming. I currently have the engine removed from the car and mounted in a vise so I can use a drill to start it (took off the pull-start mechanism). Here's the pertinent info to my observations: The engine is an SH .18 I set the Low Speed Needle flush. I set the High Speed Needle 2 3/4 turns from closed. I have the idle screw set to a 1mm gap in the body. If I remove the line from the muffler and carb I can blow into the line from the muffler and get a solid stream of fuel from the tank, indicating fuel lines/tank are OK. With the lines attached, if I put my finger over the exhaust and turn the engine fuel visibly moves up the line to the carb, BUT when I remove my finger it seems to lack enough suction to keep the fuel pulling to the carb. The glow plug glows perfectly when attached to the igniter. I've tried starting the engine at full throttle and with the throttle closed to no avail. Any ideas? P.S. I've only found one problem online similar to mine and he took his engine completely apart and soaked it in WD-40 after which it worked. I took my carb apart and inspected it, but have not yet done a WD-40 soak, so there's that....ETA: At the suggestion of a person on another forum, I put the engine back in the car and put just two drops of fuel into the carb and tried to start it. It lit right up but stalled after I tried to lower the throttle enough to set it down with out having it run away. It wont restart again, so I'm guessing it must be flooding when I stall it and will need to retune accordingly.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:48 PM
rcpowerhorse

Default RE: Sh .18 just won't start. Help?

starting the engine outside of the car is not a good idea. This is because if there is no load on the engine it will over rev and then bad things will happen.
when you prime the engine take off the air filter and check if the fuel is actually going into the engine.
I am also thinking that your low speed needle maybe too rich
Old 07-10-2013, 08:52 AM
flatpickhippster

Default RE: Sh .18 just won't start. Help?

Chk O-ring on fuel tank cap....bad seal = no postive pressure in tank.