Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

o.s. claims that no well made engine should have to be sealed by owner?

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

o.s. claims that no well made engine should have to be sealed by owner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
massenrg4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o.s. claims that no well made engine should have to be sealed by owner?

I was just looking through the O.S. web site. They make this claim in their FAQs; "A well-made engine requires no special efforts by the modeler to make sure it's sealed properly. If your engine won't run unless you use gasket compounds to seal the carburetor and rear cover, your engine has other issues, or it's been very badly made."

Do any of you buy this? Is o.s. correct. I've always had the impression that after buying a new engine is must be disassembled and sealed for air leaks.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than when I got into this hobby back in the 80's, I haven't had to open up a brand new engine just to make sure it was sealed correctly from the start. So I guess I would buy into this theory.. I own several OS motors as well as HPI,Traxxas, Orion and a couple of airplane motors and haven't had to do anything other than normal maintenance...
Old 08-26-2013, 04:55 PM
massenrg4

Originally Posted by cenracer1
Other than when I got into this hobby back in the 80's, I haven't had to open up a brand new engine just to make sure it was sealed correctly from the start. So I guess I would buy into this theory.. I own several OS motors as well as HPI,Traxxas, Orion and a couple of airplane motors and haven't had to do anything other than normal maintenance...

Cenracer, would you recommend o.s. over hpi engines? Or vice versa? I'm replacing an engine On one of my cars and I can't Decide between those two makes. Hpi is so much less expensive. Looking specifically at the o.s. cv-x vs. hpi nitro star .15 or .18.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My OS 30VG has O-rings on the pinch bolt. No leaks there.

Most of my other engines require sealing around the pinch bolt. Of course they don't use O-rings.

In particular, some of the Force engines I've had, definitely leak around the carb and pinch bolt.

So... OS makes a good point, although it's fairly generic. As such, it obviously can't apply to every single case. In other words, some cheaper (than OS) engines work fine with no leaking.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:27 AM
Ttowntoolman

I have never had to seal an engine that was purchased new, never. Generally I run OS engines, never had an issue. Have purchased a new Werks engine, did not have to seal. Have purchase a new Dynomite and again, did not have to seal. Purchased a new modified Nova, no nead to seal. I did get a used LRP 28 spec 3 engine that ran kinda crappy, I sealed the carb neck and it took care of it. I have no idea how old or what kind of abuse the LRP took before I got my hands on it. Maybe could have fixed by replacing the o-ring around the neck, but I did not have one at the time......Based on my own personal findings, it is not necesary.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:52 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe most of the "air leak" symptoms people have are caused by too large of a idle gap more then anything else...................
Old 08-31-2013, 06:51 AM
1320Fastback

It's more of a statement made by OS to show how good they are compared to others.
If it was required that any new engine be torn down and resealed then why would they even bother assembling it for you in the first place.

In this hobby (RC in general), you get what you pay for. Cheap engines could have bad machining or bad QC that leads to plate/cover leaks and carb leaks.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:05 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember when you had to take the backplate off and the head to make sure there were no chips inside!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

He'll I don't care who makes the engines now,I seal them just in case, most these engines including OS now are made in china or Taiwan, I was very sorry to see me new OS 55AX was not made in Japan like my other OS engines, I've never had a OS engine leak before but I just don't chance it anymore, though I have never sealed a plane motor only my buggy engines because they run such high rpm's and are more sensitive to air leaks