Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Helpme

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Krazy Matt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helpme

Hey new to nitro rc cars. I bought a redcat lightning str and got it to start and run for a few and died. Haven't been able to get it started again since. I try to start it after priming it, won't start so I pull the glowplug and the element is wet so I treid to lean out the hsn but still no luck any one got a lil time to point me in the rite direction
Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Barracuz

Did you already break in the engine?

Sounds like a too rich lsn. Try getting it back to stock settings. Here's a link to the manual...

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A181...ockwave-Manual

Get her back to stock settings, prime it just to get fuel near the carb. Don't prime it and keep pushing fuel into the engine, you'll end up flooding it. Then start pulling it, or bumping, or using a drill and keep on starting until she fires. DO NOT TOUCH THE NEEDLES. She will start, it might take a few seconds or 10 min.

Once the engine fires up and idles, adjust the needles accordingly. Report back if you need help trying to get it to start or run properly
Old 02-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Krazy Matt

Haven't even got to idle it thru the first tank yet. I will try it when I get off work tonite. I'm also thinking bout switching the glow plug cuz I'm running 33% traxxas nitro and i think my car has a hot plug in it and I was gonna switch to a cold one. Thank u for ur time I appreciate it a lot and I will let u kno if I need further help.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Barracuz

Yup just get it back to stock and crank it till it starts.....

Also are you trying to start it in the cold? I see your from Indiana. If its below 40 you'll need to richen out the hsn to get it started
Old 02-12-2014, 02:53 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Cold plug is bad news for a new engine. Keep the hot plug in it. The high oil Traxxas fuel won't hurt for break-in, but I'd definitely use something better afterward. Lean it down and run the car letting the engine wind up. By lean it down I mean not snotty blubbery rich. Idling through any amount of fuel is not helping the engine break-in at all. It needs to get hot to do any sort of breaking in; so if it's so snotty rich it's hard to start or if it's flooding out, the low speed needle as was stated previously is way too rich. Also, get the engine warmed to at least room temp (70F) will drastically help getting it started versus outside ambient air temp. The low speed needle controls fuel mixture from idle to around 3/4 throttle so most of your break-in mixture is gonna be influenced by the idle mixture needle almost exclusively. The main needle (high speed) controls overall fuel metering but mainly 3/4-WOT. Only if the main needle is too lean will it affect the idle and midrange mixture but likely would quit over 1/2 throttle if that were the case.

I rarely need to replace bearings, I've never broken or split a conrod, and I get gobs and gobs of fuel through my engines using my own advice. So take whatever advice you choose and run with it... Hope you can get your engine going well and enjoy the car.

I use hot plugs with fuel with as little as 0% nitro up to my "hot" 30% fuel with good results across the board. Plug life is less with a hot plug but is more forgiving for richer needle settings and novice tuners. Cold plugs perform better and last longer but tend to require a good tuner to have the engine idling reliably. Also hot plugs are cheaper generally.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 02-12-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Krazy Matt

Ok I got the carb all back to factory and got a medium plug. Primed it to where the fuel was almost to the carb and tried to start it and i am still having no luck plus the glo plug sizzled out when I did a quick check with the igniter. So gonna wait for payday get more plugs and it supposed to b warmer this week end and next week. I appreciate the help a lot. Hopefully I didn't get the bad egg of the bunch.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Krazy Matt

Yea def need to get the electric start. I'm only 30 but got some ruffed up shoulders from work.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Krazy Matt

Ok so the status is now getting a lil better due to some minor tuning. Managed to get 1 tank of gas thru it. But it's getting flooded when running. But that's not the main concern at the moment cuz I'm learning how to adjust it. But after I clear the cylinder out from fuel I put the plug back in and it still feels like it's hydro locked. It pulls but it's jerky and hard
Old 02-16-2014, 06:23 PM
nitroexpress

Originally Posted by Krazy Matt
Ok so the status is now getting a lil better due to some minor tuning. Managed to get 1 tank of gas thru it. But it's getting flooded when running. But that's not the main concern at the moment cuz I'm learning how to adjust it. But after I clear the cylinder out from fuel I put the plug back in and it still feels like it's hydro locked. It pulls but it's jerky and hard
Start the engine with a loose plug. Once running, tighten it up.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Krazy Matt

Ok will try that problem now is the pull string wore down and broke. So I'm gonna order the starter kit for it and go from there. Jus not looking forward to waiting.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Barracuz

Remember to heat it up before starting it helps alot! And loosens up the cylinder and piston
Old 02-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Krazy Matt

Ok. I've been learning alil more as I get more into it. And ur help has been great. I really do appreciate it. I can't wait to get it running and broken in. I have a nitro RCx mad torque crawler an it's fun but not fast. Next on my list is to get good at painting custom bodies. I've done a couple that turned out decent but as with anything gotta learn some tricks and get an airbrush.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Barracuz

Good for you... That how life works, with trial and error.

I recommend, after you finish with the break in, to practice tuning your engine. Learn the sound, sight and smell of a good tune. When I got my first glow engine, I spent half of all the time messing with the needles... Now just give me less than 5 min, and I'll get any engine screaming!

With painting bodies, until you get an airbrush, always way go with high quality paint from name brands. Cheap paint will never look good. I've seen a couple of bodies with nice designs but because of the cheap paint it looks crappy. Another key thing is always do lightcoats and wait for the coat to cure to apply the second. There no need to rush it...
Old 02-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Krazy Matt

I got the starter on it finally( hallelujah ) makes it so much easier so now I got it back to running but like u said I'm messing with the needles trying to tune it in. I'm still haveing problems gettin it to stop stalling on brake and still trying to get my idle rite.

Yea I'm farmiliar with the big dif in cheap paint and good paint my first love is building model cars. I try to make them as life like as possible. It's jus weird having to layer it in reverse. But it's always fun to push ur own limits within reason. I'm not dead yet so I'm not to old to learn.