Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Nitro engine bearing replacement question

Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Nitro engine bearing replacement question

Old 08-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Marciatelli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supertib
the seal , or as much as there is is formed between the crank and the crankcase..not the crank and the bearing.......... the bearings job is to keep the crank spinning smoothly on center...

1000's of RCU users have needlessly changed their front bearings over the years due to running too rich and their bearings leaking..... I was simply trying to help you...
I got that wrong, my bad. You helped me, I said thank you. Continuing this conversation is unnessesary.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:09 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Check out www.bocabearings. com
There is a lot of good information on there, and they have great products and are excellent to deal with. They are the experts. --Tony
Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Marciatelli
I know youre great and all, but please stop rubbing it in.
Good luck with that.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 08-25-2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Not worth the effort.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:38 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these engines will piss fuel when they are pig rich... I have seen it hundreds of times......... no need to replace the front bearing, need to lean the dam needles...
This is incorrect. I generally run engines in a 4 stroke (which I suspect you'd call pig rich) and, when running in some engines, have them so rich they'll barely keep running yet they don't lose fuel through the front bearing. I've only ever had one engine that sprayed fuel from the front bearing but that was second hand. The fit between the crankshaft and crankcase was obviously worn and normally the only cure is to replace the crankcase. Not possible on this engine because it's a rather rare early Moki so I fitted a fully sealed (not shielded) bearing but with the inner seal removed and grease flushed out.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:02 AM
supertib

Originally Posted by downunder
This is incorrect. I generally run engines in a 4 stroke (which I suspect you'd call pig rich) and, when running in some engines, have them so rich they'll barely keep running yet they don't lose fuel through the front bearing. I've only ever had one engine that sprayed fuel from the front bearing but that was second hand. The fit between the crankshaft and crankcase was obviously worn and normally the only cure is to replace the crankcase. Not possible on this engine because it's a rather rare early Moki so I fitted a fully sealed (not shielded) bearing but with the inner seal removed and grease flushed out.

dude,..I am not wrong......
Old 08-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

In the old days, the engines had bushings instead of bearings.... the bushings were designed to 'leak' fuel for lubrication of the crank shaft...there aren't too many (any?) bushed engines any more because the Chinese have 'invented' inexpensive bearings....that's my story.... you know the rest.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:25 AM
Marciatelli

Originally Posted by Tony Iannucelli
Check out www.bocabearings. com
There is a lot of good information on there, and they have great products and are excellent to deal with. They are the experts. --Tony
Cheers! I did check them out, they are pretty good
Only bad part is when you order overseas the postage starts to become pricey, and import duty if you order big or expensive
Old 08-26-2014, 12:13 PM
supertib

So I will go shoot some pictures and maybe some video showing how these engines will leak fuel out the nose....I did shoot some before but I cannot find them.. So I just happen to have a engine needing breakin so I will make sure to capture some media on it....

Seriously guys you act like I am lying or bull****ting, Like I have nothing better to do then makeup stories about engines leaking.. Pretty much every engine I breakin will leak out the nose, some much worse then others..It would be more uncommon for one not to leak then the other way around.... And this holds true out on the track, I have seen hundreds of engines with leakage out the nose, very easy to spot in a offroad engine as all the dirt collects on the nose...If we were to inspect every offroad 1/8th engine out there would find a greater % that have leakage then don't....Some may only have a tiny amount, while others will make a outright mess.....And when it comes to leaking the richer the tune is run, the more the engines will leak.........I run an extremely rich , high load breakin and the engines leak like crazy out the front bearing...My breakin cabinet is a huge mess because of it......... IN a week I breakin quite a few engines... from all the different brands..Novarossi. Picco, RB, OS,Royal,Alpha,Argus,Sirio, Werks,Orion,Rossi,OPS, Radical etc etc...and I see leakage on every single one of them..... So if you guys haven't seen this leakage then I suspect you don't have much experience with 1/8th Offroad Nitro engines......As pretty much every single one I have seen has leaked, and I have seen pretty much everything there is to see in 1/8th offroad....
Old 08-28-2014, 12:02 PM
supertib

You Airplane guys want to argue some more ? think you knowitall about everything nitro...anyways here is a video showing a engine pissing fuel from being rich.... exactly like I said it does

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmX4jZugD_k&feature=youtu.be
Old 08-29-2014, 05:40 AM
supertib

Crickets !!!!! just like I expected..LOL !
Old 08-29-2014, 07:43 PM
downunder

Ordinarily I keep away from arguments especially when it's over something as minor as a bit of oil leaking from a bearing but when some AH talks about crickets and sends a PM saying "maybe stick to what you know next time champ" then I guess it's worth a reply. All front bearings leak a little, if they didn't then they're likely to seize but the amount of oil needed is very small, on the order of a couple of drops a minute. Manufacturers provide a means to reduce the oil getting past the front bearing by using a channel that connects to the intake port when it's at a low pressure to pull excess oil back from the bearing. Some car "hop up" guys in their "wisdom" blank off this channel thinking it's giving an air leak problem then wonder why there's so much oil coming out the front.

I've been playing with model engines (mainly glow, a few diesels and FWIW there's no such thing as a "nitro" engine) for around 55 years and I'm an aircraft engine fitter as well. So some little AH trying to protect his reputation as a "hop up" expert can't intimidate me.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:52 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Ordinarily I keep away from arguments especially when it's over something as minor as a bit of oil leaking from a bearing but when some AH talks about crickets and sends a PM saying "maybe stick to what you know next time champ" then I guess it's worth a reply. All front bearings leak a little, if they didn't then they're likely to seize but the amount of oil needed is very small, on the order of a couple of drops a minute. Manufacturers provide a means to reduce the oil getting past the front bearing by using a channel that connects to the intake port when it's at a low pressure to pull excess oil back from the bearing. Some car "hop up" guys in their "wisdom" blank off this channel thinking it's giving an air leak problem then wonder why there's so much oil coming out the front.

I've been playing with model engines (mainly glow, a few diesels and FWIW there's no such thing as a "nitro" engine) for around 55 years and I'm an aircraft engine fitter as well. So some little AH trying to protect his reputation as a "hop up" expert can't intimidate me.
I got a wonderful PM too. I pictured Donkey Kong™ Standing in the center of the screen beating his chest and afterward I chuckled to myself.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:08 PM
savagecommander

this sounds all too familiar. wasnt there a discussion some time ago about blocking the vacuum port to the front bearing and that resulted in more oil?

"I am not sure 100% why it is happening, but I think it has been happening to all sorts of nitro engines for many years....the WD-40 test shows that these engines are not sealed very well and almost all of the engines will stall if WD gets anywhere near the front bearing....... Blocking the bypass allows more fuel to puddle in the oil galley which I believe helps make a stronger seal.....I also believe blocking the bypass also reduces the amount of vacuum behind the front bearing, which also helps with reducing the issue
he only bad thing blocking the bypass does is increase the amount of leaking out the front bearing......... other then that, all else is positive...more lubrication, better idle, longer bearing life and no more dirt getting sucked into the bearing.......

Maybe the bypass port is blocked. if im not mistaken, isnt that what is supposed to draw vacuum at the front bearing when the throttle is closed to clear excess oil at the front bearing? maybe the OP can check that?

the best part of that quote is right in the beginning when he admits he has no idea what he's talking about. neale, i can see you trying to flex behind your keyboard from way over here.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Marciatelli

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I got a wonderful PM too. I pictured Donkey Kong™ Standing in the center of the screen beating his chest and afterward I chuckled to myself.
So I guess everybody got a message from our beloved booboo trying to be intimidating and all kinds of crap, pretty hilarious haha :')

Last edited by Marciatelli; 08-30-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Marciatelli

Originally Posted by savagecommander
this sounds all too familiar. wasnt there a discussion some time ago about blocking the vacuum port to the front bearing and that resulted in more oil?

"I am not sure 100% why it is happening, but I think it has been happening to all sorts of nitro engines for many years....the WD-40 test shows that these engines are not sealed very well and almost all of the engines will stall if WD gets anywhere near the front bearing....... Blocking the bypass allows more fuel to puddle in the oil galley which I believe helps make a stronger seal.....I also believe blocking the bypass also reduces the amount of vacuum behind the front bearing, which also helps with reducing the issue
he only bad thing blocking the bypass does is increase the amount of leaking out the front bearing......... other then that, all else is positive...more lubrication, better idle, longer bearing life and no more dirt getting sucked into the bearing.......

Maybe the bypass port is blocked. if im not mistaken, isnt that what is supposed to draw vacuum at the front bearing when the throttle is closed to clear excess oil at the front bearing? maybe the OP can check that?

the best part of that quote is right in the beginning when he admits he has no idea what he's talking about. neale, i can see you trying to flex behind your keyboard from way over here.
Thank you, I checked and the issue was mainly in the damaged bearing. Rust and small impacts would cause the inner race to create gaps where air and fuel would leak in and out.
Bypass port is and always was clear.
Simple bearing replacement did the trick.

Last edited by Marciatelli; 08-30-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 PM
supertib

At the end of the day you two have zero experience with 1/8th offroad and have absolutely no business offering anyone any advice on the topic..end of story....
Old 08-30-2014, 11:36 PM
downunder

Actually it's all rather funny. Here he is complaining about all the oil squirting out of the front bearing but if you go to his web page you'll find he's flogging off some magic thing that stops air from leaking IN past that same bearing. C'mon, you can't have it both ways. Pick one.

As for the "NITRO-MIZER CARB INSERTS (Patent Pending)", Enya had something similar (3 different sized venturi inserts) about 50 years ago which were included with every engine of a certain size.

And is he really REALLY sure that neither I or 1QwkSport2.5r have zero experience with 1/8th off road engines??
Old 08-31-2014, 01:49 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would be nice to have someone come on this thread with a scientific explanation of the physics involved with the front bearing. Normally, there should be a vacuum in that area as otherwise combustion mixture induction from the carb would not occur. I would definitely like to know without the exposition of all this ego. I get drips out the front bearing on some engines too but not sure why.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:28 AM
supertib

Actually it's all rather funny. Here he is complaining about all the oil squirting out of the front bearing but if you go to his web page you'll find he's flogging off some magic thing that stops air from leaking IN past that same bearing. C'mon, you can't have it both ways. Pick one.

As for the "NITRO-MIZER CARB INSERTS (Patent Pending)", Enya had something similar (3 different sized venturi inserts) about 50 years ago which were included with every engine of a certain size.

And is he really REALLY sure that neither I or 1QwkSport2.5r have zero experience with 1/8th off road engines??

Every single modern 1/8th nitro engine will leak if they are too rich.......... the engine in the video does not have the breather blocked...it was 100% stock........ I made sure to use a stock engine in the video as I knew you would try to discredit what the video showed......... The real issue if you guys have zero first hand experience with anything remotely resembling a modern 1/8th offroad Nitro and are here trying to act like experts on the tpoic...and unfortunately your not in the right place to play make believe as I actually have plenty of first hand experience and will call you on your BS...As i have real experience, thousands of hours of real world experience, something you do not have.My advice is stick to what you know, and step back from what you don't know..and obviously 1/8th offroad nitro is not your specialty !

Last edited by supertib; 08-31-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:56 AM
supertib

I did a search on Enya carb inserts..all that show are standard round inserts of varying sizes.... nothing football shaped and nothing with reduced throttle end point............ If they existed 50 years ago there is no trace of them today.....
Old 08-31-2014, 05:04 AM
savagecommander

Originally Posted by thailazer
Would be nice to have someone come on this thread with a scientific explanation of the physics involved with the front bearing. Normally, there should be a vacuum in that area as otherwise combustion mixture induction from the carb would not occur. I would definitely like to know without the exposition of all this ego. I get drips out the front bearing on some engines too but not sure why.
I never had fuel leak from any of my engines- and I even ran 16% oil monster fuel- so All id be able to add is theory.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:08 AM
supertib

What pisses me off is that you guys are rude..... You see me post something that you yourself have not seen or understand and instead of asking me more about it you immediately start on the offensive insinuating I am being dishonest or wrong, especially rude when you yourself have no, or near no real first hand experience with any of these 1/8th machines.. You fellows obviously have a big ego and figure your some sort of expert on Nitro engines and I obviously ruffle your feathers some with my ideas.. , but just because you don;'t understand what I post, or have not seen what I post about doesn't immediately mean I am lying or being dishonest
Old 08-31-2014, 06:06 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

What pisses me off is that you guys are rude..... You see me post something that you yourself have not seen or understand and instead of asking me more about it you immediately start on the offensive insinuating I am being dishonest or wrong, especially rude when you yourself have no, or near no real first hand experience with any of these 1/8th machines.. You fellows obviously have a big ego and figure your some sort of expert on Nitro engines and I obviously ruffle your feathers some with my ideas.. , but just because you don;'t understand what I post, or have not seen what I post about doesn't immediately mean I am lying or being dishonest
The only word that I can apply to you is smug. You're pompous, condescending, and you act like a 3 year old if someone challenges you. You went so far as to send nasty PMs to several members telling them to mind their own business essentially. Seriously, who does that? You should take a lesson from tact. Take the high road and walk away instead of acting like a child that doesn't get his way. Seriously, get over yourself. And use better grammar for crying out loud.

If you want to keep your crybabyfest going, go right ahead, eh. I don't need a bigger head so I'll bow out, eh.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:14 AM
supertib

The only word that I can apply to you is smug. You're pompous, condescending, and you act like a 3 year old if someone challenges you. You went so far as to send nasty PMs to several members telling them to mind their own business essentially. Seriously, who does that? You should take a lesson from tact. Take the high road and walk away instead of acting like a child that doesn't get his way. Seriously, get over yourself. And use better grammar for crying out loud.

If you want to keep your crybabyfest going, go right ahead, eh. I don't need a bigger head so I'll bow out, eh.
You are the crybaby..... reporting me to moderation for sending you a PM........... And I have no ssue with being challenged, as i can easilly backup anything I say......... And to you I am pompous because I can actually backup what i say and i refuse to back down to a group of cyber bullies just because you gang up on me.......
Old 08-31-2014, 07:53 AM
Marciatelli

You know what pisses me off? and others probably too?
That instead of properly helping out and explaining, you throw around some of your opinion as facts, without giving any study or knowledge. You took an engine hell knows where from, no idea what are you doing, and show us this as a proof apparently.
After all that, then you coat all of this crap with your intimidating pm's.

What you sending out here is a 99% copy of what you wrote to me, and I do not agree with you. Stating that people dont understand you, and assuming that nobody has experience but you.
You know what they say about assumptions?
What makes you think you are the only expert in this field?

So fellow forum members have a big ego? Did they send you an intimidating pm? Did they carry themselves in such a narcissistic way? Can you spot the hypocrite here?

If people dont understand your post, maybe its time you upgrade some of those primary school grammar skills?

Before you send me another pm saying not to "butt into your conversation", this is a public forum, I can do that, go to pm section if you want privacy.

Now lets stop all this bulls*it and act like a competent expert you think you are.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.