Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

breaking-in

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 02:46 PM
samcim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking-in

hi guys, any 1 know where the breaking-in sticky thread is? im getting a Ofna Violator soon and and wanna know the best way to break it in. the one i seen was someone was heating the heatsink up to 200-220F, starting it, giving it WOT ( on a bench)and lean it out till it stays @ 220-230F for half a tank then let it cool (BDC)and do this 3 times or so then go and do some 1/4 revs for few tanks then half revs for few tanks and then full throttle burts for few tanks making sure it stays roughly 220-230F while doing this.......... would this be a good proccess for "breaking-in" the engine

thanks in advance!!
Old 04-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: breaking-in

An engine should NEVER be run without a load on the engine. For car engines, this means the engine should never be run at wide open throttle (WOT) when it is lifted off of the ground. You can overspeed the engine doing this and cause serious engine damage.

However, I don't believe in idling an engine to break it in which is common in the car community. Here is what I do which is completely different then what many car manufacturers state. I believe that they are wrong and I have never ruined an engine from breaking it in this way.

Start engine,
Tune engine so the engine is running just past the 4-2 stroke point at wide open throttle (with it running on a smooth surface such as asphalt or concrete). The engine will be hot enough not to damage it from 4 stroking but rich enough to keep it from overheating. It will not however be very fast or perform like it should-thats ok, its not broken in.

Find a nice parking lot and drive it for a couple of tanks where you go to WOT and the let it coast at a high idle and repeat. With each tank increase the amount of time at WOT and decrease the coasting/cooldown time. With each tank, you may want to slightly lean mixture until you can maintain a temp that doesn't exceed 250 deg F when run at WOT for extended periods.

You'll have more fun with your new car and breakin instead of sitting there watching a car idle and waste gas. One word of caution, KEEP an eye out on the temps and make sure it doesn't overheat-exceed 250 deg F.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:21 PM
samcim

sounds good , any one else recommend this>?
Old 04-08-2004, 03:38 PM
ShoestringRacer

Yes that is correct but I would add one thing which he doesn't state. After each run of 2-3 minutes, you should shut down and let the engine cool off completely. Then do another 2-3 minute run and cool down completely. After 10-15 times doing this cycle tune the engine and use as you normally would. But yes his info is very good overall. Always avoid idling and overly rich 4 stroking operation, (which is cold operation)
Old 10-16-2010, 08:50 PM
RCtoughGuy

the temperature cycling method is the best, just google it

ORIGINAL: samcim

hi guys, any 1 know where the breaking-in sticky thread is? im getting a Ofna Violator soon and and wanna know the best way to break it in. the one i seen was someone was heating the heatsink up to 200-220F, starting it, giving it WOT ( on a bench)and lean it out till it stays @ 220-230F for half a tank then let it cool (BDC)and do this 3 times or so then go and do some 1/4 revs for few tanks then half revs for few tanks and then full throttle burts for few tanks making sure it stays roughly 220-230F while doing this.......... would this be a good proccess for "breaking-in" the engine

thanks in advance!!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 PM
BulgarianBullwhip
Banned

that thread does not exist
Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 PM
BulgarianBullwhip
Banned