Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

cant start engine for break in?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 07:29 PM
race4christ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant start engine for break in?

I have got the engine to start every once in a while but it would cut out after a few seconds to a minute. Iv checked glow plug several times, checked for flooding and no sign of that. Sometimes it acts like it isnt or doesnt want to take in fuel. Iv had trouble getting fuel and air mixtures settings right. If any help or tips that could be offered i would appreciate it because this is my first nitro.Thank you!
Old 10-06-2004, 04:21 AM
neil.jb

Default RE: cant start engine for break in?

first of all you should run the engine in using the factory needle settings, try reseting the needles to the factory settings stated in the manual, if you dont have them then you need to find them out, also if the engine feels very tight then try warming the engine up with a hair dryer before starting
Old 10-07-2004, 06:04 PM
race4christ

Thanks alot for the help. Using a hair dryer to heat it up befor starting it did make a difference, also i set it at factory settings and it gave me a little trouble at first but eventually started. After i got it started it wanted to run off the table so i lifted the tires off the surface and the engine sounded like it was running realy hard, then i put my digital thermometer on it and it read 260 degrees so i shut it off. I dont want to screw the thing up. If you have any other suggestions or help i would appreciate it. Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:32 PM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

richen it out alittle more,about two 1/8 turns this should do it
Old 10-08-2004, 03:04 AM
neil.jb

or adjust the idle speed screw anti clo9ck wise to lower the idle speed
Old 10-08-2004, 04:42 AM
Mr D

Are you using the recommended fuel for the engines break in procedure. Make sure that your batteries are in working order so that the servos are working correctly. Maybe the throttle is open. And then do the rest of the break in procedure.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: race4christ

I have got the engine to start every once in a while but it would cut out after a few seconds to a minute. Iv checked glow plug several times, checked for flooding and no sign of that. Sometimes it acts like it isnt or doesnt want to take in fuel. Iv had trouble getting fuel and air mixtures settings right. If any help or tips that could be offered i would appreciate it because this is my first nitro.Thank you!

Pull the glow plug and blow the raw fuel/oil out by using the pull start. reinstall the glow plug leaving it loose. Set your needles to factory recomendation. Charge your glow plug starter and try again, you should get it to fire. Warm the engine with a hair dryer. Also look down the carb bore, you should see about a 1/16" gap between the bore and the carb slide. If still nothing try a new plug.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:32 PM
race4christ

what will leaving the glow plug loose do?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:19 PM
oatmealman
Banned

less compression but tighten it when it starts
Old 10-10-2004, 05:39 PM
race4christ

well things still arent going to well still i tried just about everything i can from my manual to every bit of info on the net. but i did see something new today there is air bubbles coming out of the HSN into the fuel line after engine stalls out like it always does.if any other links that are really good for tunning and troubleshooting could somone please send them. thanks.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:54 PM
oatmealman
Banned

if theres air in the line it means you've got a leak some were
Old 10-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Greggory

I had the same problems with a car I just broke in.
Did all of the above too, had air in the line too, a real hair puller! and I've been doing this 30
years.
Try making sure you dont flood it then when you get it going keep the rpm's way up about halfway, let it run to get it broke in.
after 2 or 3 tanks you'll start seeing a change.
Make sure you have alot off smoke from the exhaust ,you can richen it to bring down the temp.

One other thing MY CARB WAS LOOSE!

Greg