Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

supercharger for RC nitro engines?

i no there was a post about superchargers somewhere in this website b4 but its an old post an has been burried since. so my question is, is a supercharger worth it or not? and another wierd question, how enviormentaly safe are nitro engines? i know there not like cars that put out alot of harmful emmisions, but they do use nitro fuel so ive just ben wondering...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: supercharger for RC nitro engines?

that thread is only a search away, it probably is down to the second page, but it isn't very old. summary is they are a complete waste of time for 99% of all 2 strokes, they MIGHT add 3% power on a good day.

glow engines are really, really bad as far as environmental concerns, in fact our glow model engines are probably the worst IC engines in production. that said, they are so small and there are so few of them with very little runtime the total emissions from all model engines combined in a year is probably what a v-8 puts out in a couple hours of running.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cool that a very little amount of emissions. but with such low emssions being let into the air in the cousre of one year, wouldnt the earth with its natural enviorment cleaning cycle netrualize the emmissions of a single running rc engine in a matter of hours anyway?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The emissions given off by the nitro engines can be compared to peeing in the ocean.
    STEPHEN COLBERT IS MY HERO!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

great now my car wont start at all! it was running fine a few days ago. it sat on the shelf for about 4 or 5 days since it ran, so i take it off the shelf, replace a broken upright with a new one, and bam! engine wont start[:@] , nitro engine cars are super fast, but they have an equaly bad downside: starting, starting them is hit or miss, one minute they run like perfect the next minute they have u pullin your hair out. little engines with PMS.

heres what i have so far:

ran the car for about 30min 1 1/2 tanks of gas:

car breaks a front upright:

sits on shelf for about 5 days (i didnt use after run oil or blead the engine of fuel):

upright bought, put on car, fill gas tank, pulls on pullstarter, no response:

took only the pullstart and heat sink head apart to get a visual on the piston movement and check for dirt (no dirt engine is fine glow plug is fine, air filter is great):

figure it may be a bad glow plug battery, replaced glow plug battery:

try to start it again no response + the clutch bell seems to be conected to nothing because it just freewheels! ( i didnt touch the clutchbell assymbly during the dissambly, how can it be acting up!:

fustrated, posting:

is it possible that fuel left in the gas tank and engine can get gunked up in the engine that quickly, or at a more deviant approach, is it possible that my local hobby shop for lack of a better word spiked the nitro fuel they sold me so it can gunk up my engine after a week or 2 and have me come crying back to them to fix my engine for $30 a pop[>:]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nitro fuel abosrbs moisture from the air like a sponge.

Drain the fuel.

Fill with fresh fuel. Remove glow plug and flush engine out with new fuel by cranking the engine until fresh fuel flows thorugh. Clean glow plug with fresh fuel.

Put plug back in, the back it out about 3/4 of a turn and fire up that puppy. Then wrench down the plug.
    Main Rides: Picco P3-.28 Powered Kyosho Inferno GT and Sportwerks Mayhem ST .26

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i completely agree that yo should allwys make sure that there is no fuel what so ever in the engine when you store it. and i am a firm believer in after run oil, <USE IT>

Just a few minutes of time at the end of the day to klean and oil your engine can save alot of down time when you go to run it again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YES HOW FAST DOES A VX 18 ENGINE GO

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

STOP TRYING TO HIJACK THREADS! MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD!
    ORIGINAL: bigtre

YES HOW FAST DOES A VX 18 ENGINE GO
    95% of statistics are made up on the spot

IM me, Lethal1ty17 (on AIM)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can assure you that with experience running a nitro engine become pretty easy. The main thing to remember is that for an engine to run it needs 3 things. Fuel, air and an ignition source. If your engine will not run then it is most likely because one of these is missing. First things first, check your glo plug. Even if it glows bright that does not mean its ok. If in doubt then change it. This will be a good start.
    He who dies with the most toys wins.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Plenty of threads on this topic. Basically it is a waste of money. Just get a "tuned pipe".
    If it hasn\'t got 4 wheels, makes a damn hell lot of noise, it\'s of no concern to me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My self and three other friends bought the Losi Aftershock. We all worked together tuning each truck. I myself decided to purchase the RB Supercharger. To my disappointment I did not notice any gain at least nothing to mention. The super charger installation was simple and could see no error on my part. To further my disappointment I purchased a NOS kit from RB that I also notice no improvement.

I have attempted to contact tec support several times with no reply. I am left with no options other than to return the product to Tower Hobbies. Products are only as good as customer service. I strongly suggest they re-evaluate thair marketing strategy.

As you can see I took great pride installing the system. http://www.masonic175.org/images/Potluck/losi/losi.htm

DO NOT BUY! - DO NOT BUY! - DO NOT BUY! - DO NOT BUY!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thank you for the love of God...thank you....now spread the word
    95% of statistics are made up on the spot

IM me, Lethal1ty17 (on AIM)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

needs compression too

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i got the supercharger as a birthday gift. as far as tech support goes i called up and was talking to the guy for bout 40 mins on modifications that had to be made to my car. as for a difference i notice something of a difference. i went to that web link u posted of ur car looks nice but if im not mistaked the tube u ran from the supercharger to the nitrous bullet, that port is to provide more pressure to the fuel tank for a steady flow of fuel. i could b wrong but just throwing in my 2 cents.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those RB Innovation superchargers are not worth the money. In order to even get any kind of good results from a supercharger in a 2-stroke engine you would need to have reed valves and exhaust window controller.

A fourstroke will benefit from the boost unit without such complicated things (well in this scale anyway).

I also wanted to have a supercharged RC car. And the only factory-made supercharged fourstroke engine comes from O.S. So I built one of those engines to fit my 1/8 Hobao truggy.

Heres a link to a video of my car:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...68489710969309

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is a nice vehicle. Which OS supercharger did you install onto your FS engine?

And yse, I agree with you 100%: RB Innovations is nothing but snake oil. Even if you put an RB Innovations supercharger on the 4-stoke engine, it will not see a power increase since the RB Innovations charger cannot even create any boost. It is not of a proper supercharger design (roots/whipple/lysolm/centrifugal etc.).
    I hate stray Tomcats

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That engine is originally equipped with a supercharger so I didnt install anything. That is a stock unit with the blower

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ahh! Nice! the FS I saw on the net was the wrong one then. It didt have the supercharger on it.
    I hate stray Tomcats

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is the one that I have:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/chretiendoll/osmaxfs120.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...?engine_id=105

They dont manufacture these anymore.

Here's another video with more speed. A soccer field abuse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFTvObTPaQI

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

at last someone brought a supercharger and found it didnt work.maybe this should be made a sticky so some of u guys dont have to write a page every week explaining how they cant work. cause it seems to come up every week or 2 cheers
    gone back to the real forums were members dont suggest a newb to buy toy grade cars that are money pits.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Care to specify your post a bit Ozzie?

Superchargers USUALLY do not work well at all with 2-stroke engines. Reason for that is that side (and intake) ports are open at the same time with exhaust ports and therefore the targeted boost blows to the exhaust chamber.

Naturally there are exceptions to this but as said before, the standard induction type engines (that rc 2T engines are) are not originally designed to uphold boost. They would require a completely different port location setup in the cylinder walls. Other opportunity is to have a controlling unit for back pressure.

So in the end you CAN supercharge or turbocharge a 2T, but dont expect the results to be astonishing since likely you will gain nothing but increased cost and a wow-factor. For the first minute

Fourstrokes are a completely different ballgame then. They have opening and closing valves. When you compare for instance my supercharged engine to the same engine without a blower you can find the difference in outputs to be about 40% in favour of the supercharged one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you really would like to increase the output of a 2T then look closely to the 2T dirtbike engines starting from the early 1990s. Study the exhaust port controlling unit and the efficient port areas in percentages and compare closed/open situations. Those systems can be adapted to rc world and they can operate solely on spring rate and exhaust pressure.

This yields the possibility to use bigger exhaust which results in higher horsepower output. And with the exhaust port controller closed in idle and lower rpm you will gain more torque to the bottom end.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

was just trying to say that super charges for rc engines comes up every couple of weeks and people have been writeing long explanations why they give little or any gains.it was good to see someone who actully brought one and tryed it and it did not work as was expected.that is not to say they do not work on other 2 stroke motors . but the normal engines used in rc cars do not work with super chargeing.note i said normal as yes with modifiaction u could probably get a abc type engine to see some sort of gain.but as for people just bolting one on and expecting big horse power gains i say save ure money .just my 2 cents
    gone back to the real forums were members dont suggest a newb to buy toy grade cars that are money pits.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Couldn't agree more to that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast