Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Difference between Novarossi engines

Old 03-28-2006, 09:49 PM
savagejb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Difference between Novarossi engines

Could someone please point me to an article about (or tell me) the difference between the different Novarossi engines? For example, what is the difference between the Top and Rex series? I've done a ton of searching, but can't seem to find anything- and Novarossi's translated from Italian site isn't much help. I know some are 8 port, some 3, etc., I can read the specs, but what do people run for racing, bashing, etc? Are some easier to tune than others? Are there performance differences between pull and roto start? I'm looking at the .28 size for both a Savage and Losi- may look to race one at some point.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 AM
o.s. power

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Difference between Novarossi engines

All novarossi, rex, and top motors are the same. They are made in the same facility using identical parts. They have different names due to import taxes to other countries. You can even throw JP engines in that company too.

rex/nova/top P5X - the most popular .21 motor for 1/8 scales, 5 ports normal or turbo plug, lots of torque, good top end

rex/nova/top S421BSX - very popular .21 for 1/8 off road, 8 ports, normal or turbo plug, lots of top end, slighlty less torque than P5X

nova plus 21-5 - new off road nova motor, 5 ports, turbo or normal plug, torque of a P5 and top end of a 421B

nova/rex/top N21BF - newer off road motor, 3 port eco motor, good torque, decent top end, emphasis on low price

rex/nova/top CX12 R2 - 2nd generation of the famed Mugen MT12 of a couple years back. Very popular among 1/10 gas trucks

these engines here are pretty much race motors. If you were to bash, the N21BF would be your choice. As for a monster truck, all their motora are basically the same except for the glow plug being a turbo or standard, the starting system a pull start, roto, or a bump box, and the turbo or standard crank.

Since you are looking at the savage and LST, look into one with a roto start, normal glowplug and normal crank. This motor would work perfect for your application http://www.novarossi.com/eng/motori/n528xss.htm
Old 03-29-2006, 07:29 PM
savagejb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info. The engine you linked to is one I am considering.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:02 AM
Hoese37

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im prolly wrong about this but ive HEARD that the Novarossi labled engines are all around, the Rex is torque based, and the Top is RPM based. I know for a fact that all engines can use the same materials, and just the sleeve porting was different. So in reality you could swap the regular Novarossi P5X piston/sleeve for a Rex piston/sleeve.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:23 AM
snowbl!nd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nope, the internals are COMPLETELY identical. The only difference between the engines are the packaging (although i recieved my Top engine in a Novarossi box) the colour of the cooling head and the stamps on the crankcase and the carb.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:55 AM
speedracer1129

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: o.s. power

A: All novarossi, rex, and top motors are the same. They are made in the same facility using identical parts. They have different names due to import taxes to other countries. You can even throw JP engines in that company too.

B: Since you are looking at the savage and LST, look into one with a roto start, normal glowplug and normal crank. This motor would work perfect for your application http://www.novarossi.com/eng/motori/n528xss.htm

A: jp does NOt fall into that category! they are manufactured in France!

B: the 528 rotostart version will not work in the savage! also, there is an 8port version of that same motor fi you want the best!!
Old 04-01-2006, 09:21 PM
savagejb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why does the rotostart version not work in the Savage? Am I stuck with pull start if I want to put one in my Savage? Will the rotostart version work in my LST2? Is the 8 port version more HP or torque- or both? Thanks for any info!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 PM
speedracer1129

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the reason is that the rotostart version is actually a tiger drive system and the position of the drive is not accesible in a Savage. yes, there is a huge difference of power between the 8 and the 3!!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:58 PM
rai

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

(A repost. just need some advice)

Sorry this is a bit off the topic but i have about 13 tanks through a 421b and it seems to lack alot on the low end (compared to a couple of RBs and Vspecs). I put a 13tooth bell, jp1 pipe,good temps, fairly new purple alum ofna shoes w/1.0 springs, and #8novarossi plug. It doesnt seem to have that off the line power i've felt else where. When i pinch the fuel line it begins to die roughly 3 sec. after and bog if i lean the low end. Any suggestions would help. The weaker low end does help on slippery tracks and still allows me to hang with the good racers. Could it be the 20% nitro and/or is the plug too cold (novarossi #8)? I run in cool weather (San Francisco bay area).

thanks in advance

NO bottom end
Old 04-13-2006, 08:59 AM
speedracer1129

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i also own a 421b. this engine in general has no bottom end in regards for buggy use! i would recommend going to a P5 if possible. otherwise, the setup i have seen to get the most out of that engine is the following:

30% fuel
Novarossi 053 pipe
#6 or #7 plug ( #8 definately too cold, only really works with 40% or above!)
Old 04-13-2006, 09:21 PM
gubbs3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rai - Just about everyone at my track, both for buggies and truggies, run 1.1 clutch springs. They will allow the engine to spool up just a little more into the powerband for better snap off the bottom end.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:56 PM
savagejb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ummmmmm... I was happy to see more discussion about this topic, but now I'm really confused as to what the last three posts have to do with the original discussion. Am I missing something? I'd really like to hear people's input about the Novarossi engines, as I want to buy one, but I don't want to spend 300+ dollars without hearing what others have to say. Are we talking about a BB Novarossi I don't know about?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:07 AM
darthballs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

theyre sort of about the topic. they are about how nova 421b isnt too good for a mt
Old 06-01-2017, 08:34 AM
RCaddict80

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

heres my experience with novarossi...i purchased a brand new dynamite big red .28 for my LST and that engine had plenty of power, top end speed was right on
par and it ran super good and reliable. i put about a gallon total in the engine including break in.i been reading on the forums that if i want to put some real power in my LST then i need to go with novarossi. i also purchased a brand new LRP ZR32 spec4 for my brand new savage and im here to tell you...that engine is a BEAST! POWER, TORQUE, TOP END SPEED LIKE NO OTHER! simply amazing engine. starts right up, never mess with carb settings, and runs around 200 degrees and running a bit rich. i can lean it out and run it at 230-250 but whats the point? i can pull the front wheels up at any speed, even hitting second gear pops the front tires up! no back to the novarossi....i purchased the novarossi legend 28-8 port engine cost me $200 3 day FED ex to my house. this engine broke in very nice, and i never experienced a nitro engine as nice and smooth as this legend. it actually has the smoothness like a brushless motor!!! no joke. i think the novarossi 28-8 might even out perform my LRP32. it pulls wheelies on demand in my 15 pound LST and everytime i run the truck i break an axle pin, round out a wheel hex, or twist an axle in half every other time i run the truck.i got almost a gallon through the legend 28-8 and when the engine heats up and i shut the truck off...the engine dosnt like to start back up untill the engine cools down a little bit.since i taken this engine out of the box i noticed the engine never really had a cytlinder "pinch" and once the engine heats up to 100-200 degrees when i pull the engine over its like im pulling over nothing but air!!!my LRP 32 has a pinch thats so tight even with the glow plug out of the engine the piston still gets stuck on top of the stroke!!!!lol other legend 28-8 owners ive talked to said there legend engines wasnt real "pinchy" either. but mine has gotten so bad that i contacted novarossi and i pulled my endine out and sending it in to them so they can see whats going on. im a master certified mechanic i work at a ford dealership..ive broken in more engines than i can count and all my nitro engines run great, run strong, and run 10 plus gallons. so i know how to break them in. i feel this engine has issues right from the get go.is the engine aswome???YES! does it start right up when its cold???yes. but it stalls and wont restart and thats a combustion issue if you ask me
Old 06-01-2017, 08:35 AM
RCaddict80

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so if they dont warrenty the engine for me then im gonna get another LRP 32 for my LST or try the new picco boost .28
Old 06-02-2017, 01:16 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you do send it in to Nova and it in fact is a defective engine, they will make good on it - that's what a warranty is for. If they don't warranty it and give you some sob story about it, I would really like to get my hands on it to see for myself what the problem is with it if you're willing to let me have a look at it.

Frankly, I think the LRP is a joke for what they charge for them. You may like the Picco Boost - they're stout engines too; just a bit pricier than Novarossi. At the end of this whole thing though - I find it hard to swallow that the engine doesn't run right. Did you ever try the suggestions I made on the YouTube page? Namely holding the throttle open a little to get it to fire back off?

Search this Thread