Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Welding the cast aluminum engine case.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 12:39 AM
nitrosportdecals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welding the cast aluminum engine case.

Anyone have any info on successfully welding the mounting ear/tab back onto an engine case? I just cracked off yet another mounting ear/tab for my 528 xr. This getting expensive!! Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:26 AM
Reindeer
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: Welding the cast aluminum engine case.

Do you have any of your old cases/tabs left? It sounds to me like the best approach is to find someone with a TIG welder and practice on some old parts first, and see how it turns out. Thing I would be concerned with is that the heat from the welding process would distort the metal of the case.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:09 AM
nitrosportdecals

Do you have any of your old cases/tabs left?
Yes I do as a matter of fact. If welded properly, does cast alumium stay together?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Reindeer
My Feedback: (25)

Properly done, a good weld should be just as strong as the metals being joined. I found a couple of articles from Lincoln Electric that hopefully should help and answer some questions:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...nt/tigalum.asp

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...ntent/alum.asp
Old 04-01-2006, 12:01 PM
125cchyperman

Having done welding for a while now welding cast welding cast aluminum is harder then it looks. Just try welding some of the other older part s before you weld on the good parts. As for the strength of the weld depends on how well you can get the weld to penetrate the metal. The less penetration the worst off the weld The more the better. But with aluminum if you use to much heat it will just burn big holes in the metal and will be even harder to weld then before. First off take the to pieces and place the tabe where you want to weld it Tack weld the ends onto the case. Just small tacks on both side will do. But when you tack weld the one side make sure you have the other side pushed up againstt the case. Because the metal will expand and contract. Make sure the other side is still where you want it to be. Then when you have both side tacked, Check to see if everything still fits.( believe me theres nuthing more frusterating then finishing a tough weld and have it not even fit anymore on the piece that it's supppose to fit on). [:@][:@]..... Then place the case in an oven and heat it to about 200 ferenheit. Do not exceed 250 ferenheit. Then while the case is still hot start to weld the case. Use equal amounts of filler wire and equal weld speed. Try not to go to fast but not to slow. The bead should be aqual or just a tad bit higher then the base metal. When done welding place it somwhere where it can cool down. [X(]DO NOT POUR WATER ON IT TO COOL IT DOWN.[X(] This will crack the case or make the case very brittle and will brake easily.[:'(] I truly hope this works for you and be careful and check on things frequently. You can never be to safe when it come to these things.