Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Having seriouse engine problems!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 03:33 PM
matt982006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having seriouse engine problems!

OK here goes. About a 2-3 weeks ago i bought a savage X from Tower Hobbies. Well when i went to start it the roto start broke, im like ok i will just call hpi and get a new one and in the meantime i will go to the store and buy a cordless drill to use. So i get a cordless drill and what do ya know...it doesnt work. So i take it back and i bought a corded drill (just to make sure it worked). And somewhere along line i got the idea to buy a new engine (a bigger one) so i got online and bought a Team Orion Wasp .28w/pullstarter.

Well i get it and i went through the normal break in prossess. Then guess what happens,....The pullstarter breaks (luckily i had ordered another one in advance just incase). So i swapped out the broken pullstart for the new one and i go to crank the engine and it wont fire. It seems to me that im cursed with nitro engine because here lately all i have had is back luck. I have tryed everything to get this engine to start and it wont. I was thinking of taking it to my LHS and pay them to get it tuned and all. Can anyone please give me advice on what you think i should do or any tuning tips??? Thanks for the help
Old 04-30-2006, 07:41 PM
laserman2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Having seriouse engine problems!

you might have to loosen the glow plug a bit then start then retighten the plug looks like it has a very tight pinch and it needs some run in time
Old 04-30-2006, 09:20 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have tryed everything to get this engine to start and it wont
Really? I'm assuming glow plug glows when igniter is placed on to it. As well as a proper tune. Drill spins enough RPM's to start it. ect. Hmm

Have you tried putting a bit of fuel directly in to the carb?

Ryan
Old 05-01-2006, 02:25 PM
scp616

I had similar problems with my HPI motor when I got it. It had so much compression it kept snapping the starter cords. I replaced it with an O.S. .21 and it started and ran great, but I was also able to fix my HPI motor too. I took off the engine head and added another spacer between the block and the head and I haven't had anymore problems since. It can also be caused by using the wrong sized glowplug. If that doesn't work, an O.S. is the best solution, it fits perfectly and you won't have a moments problem with it.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:20 PM
matt982006

Thanks for the replies. But its not the F4.1 im talking about it's the new Team Orion Wasp .28w/Pullstart. I think it needs another engine shim under the head because it has wayyyy too much compressions. I snapped my first pullstarter cord on the 5th tank! And it idles great seems like a really good engine. I was thinking about putting a roto-start on it but i dont know.

I decided to take it to my LHS today (monday) and im paying them around $20 to finish the break in and tune it and maybe i can get some advice from them... So i will let you all know how it goes, but if it comes down to it im just going to buy a collari .32 and sell my other two engines....

Old 05-01-2006, 06:29 PM
skidkid

One thing I found with the wasp .28 is I pre-heat it with a heat gun or a old hair dryer to about 180 degrees, this allows the piston sleeve to expand a little and makes it easy to pull start. Also on team orions forums they mention that you have to use a different manifold gasket on the savage and not the oarnge one that the engine comes with, you can also put an HPI roto start on it or a tiger drive roto start. although I would still pre-heat the engine, I hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:39 PM
matt982006

Thanks for the info. Yea i noticed that the orange gasket didnt work the first time i started the engine so i put on the purple gasket that my F4.1 came with. And considering im on my second pullstarter for this engine if the new one brakes im just going to switch to the rotostart2(which sucks but oh well). If you have any more info on this engine please let me know(wasp .28). WHat kind of car do you have this engine on and how much power does it have?? I havnt gotten to fully run mine yet so i dont know. Thanks
Old 05-01-2006, 07:57 PM
skidkid

I am running this motor in one of my LST2's
The motor has terrific power. If your clutch is right and the slipper is set correctly in my truck I can pull the front wheels off the ground, though this is not always agood thing it is nice when you are just bashing. I have found the motor to be sometimes a little tweaky when tuning but if you are patient the motor should run and have more than enough low and top end. I can compete with any truck on the track with this engine. Team orions site has some good info on it in their forums.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:17 PM
matt982006

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try when i get it back from my LHS and let you know how it goes.