Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Noob question aboutm engine tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 12:29 PM
teluan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob question aboutm engine tuning

I just bought a used Duratrax Maximum ST off of eBay for $100USD (price seemed right and the seller had a good rating) and the .12 Torq engine is currently tuned for an altitude of 215 feet, at 95 degrees, with 100% humidity. I live at an altitude of 3,000 feet at 75 degrees with approximately 20 to 40% humidity. Being a noob I am not 100% sure how to tune my engine for my environment. I suspect that since the air is thinner at my altitude that I will be running richer than when it was at 212 feet. If this is the case I'll need to turn down the high and low speed needle about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn then test run and measure the temperature?

I have 20% Nitro with 12% lubrication and a O.S. # 8 glow plug.

Any advice to a new member is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-06-2006, 05:20 PM
JayC1968
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Noob question aboutm engine tuning

At a higher altitude you actually need to run LEANER
The best way to get it right is to return the needle to the factory settings and start from scratch. They should be in the manual if you got one with the truck. If not I can get them for you.
Here's a simple chart to help you out..

Here's a few tuning vids also..(they are for the savage 25 but work with all glow engines)
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As]Tuning 1[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg]Tuning 2[/link]