Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Most powerful nitro r/c car engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:46 PM
gmcman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Most powerful nitro r/c car engine?

Get a larger motor like a .46 or bigger if you have a big heavy truck. If you have a 1/8 scale buggy IMO get a RB C6, more power than you will be able to put to the ground. I have the C4 in my ofna 1/8 scale and it is insane. There are probably a few motors that might put down some more power but you need to hook up to make use of it. With a 18T clutch and a torsen center it will spin all 4 and run between 55 & 60 MPH all day.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:18 AM
RockyMtnRevo

I have seen OS 30 and 528XR side by side and there is no contest the Nova 528 will make the OS look like JUNK!!!! There is also the RB TM928 that is also MUCH more powerfull than the OS30
Old 08-17-2006, 01:15 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Fuelman

Manufacturer horsepower ratings in model engines are about as usefull as utters on a bullfrog.
This is absulutely correct. Advertised HP is usually absolute bullsheeet!

I've said this on other forums, but I can't remember if I said it on this thread or forum.
The nitro industry needs to adopt the SAE standards of hp raring along with all of the corrections to adjust for altitude, ambient temp, and humidity. The nitro fuel industry needs to adopt a standardized fuel blend based on the highest quality fuel blend on the market. The nitro engine makers also need to adopt one dyno method. When they advertise hp, they need to also quote at what temp the engine was so we know the hp is actually practical and not produced from an engine that was overleaned for advertising purposes. A complete dyno curve should also be given so we know if the torque curve is nice and broad or a near useless spikey peak.

That would basically squeeze down too many factors into only two factors: engine design and the choice of exhaust. To eliminate one of these two factors, the engine maker can run several tests with different pipes and recommend the best one. Better yet, the engine maker can make a pipe designed and specifically tuned for the engine in question.

If I have missed any other factors, please let me know.

Engine testers from RC mags do their best to quote everthing: fuel used, operating temps at peak hp, full dyno curve, outside conditions, etc. Too bad engine makers do not do the same for their advertised hp!

As far as what Savagecommander says:

"the .70 makes about 2.5 hp @16000 rpm stock, but ive heard with 30% and a modded sleeve you can get more.now before everyone barfs do the math on the power. thats 150+ in-oz. at that rpm... "

150oz-in is tremendous! Big block engines are are lucky to even put out 100oz-in! An ounce-in is very small. 1lbf-ft, the unit of torque advertised for cars, is equal to 192oz-in! So most nitro engines out today make less than half of a pound-foot! 150oz-in is 3 quarters of 1lbf-ft! Thats alot of torque for nitro!
Old 08-18-2006, 11:01 AM
noximus

werd, when i was talking to a couple of people about wich engine has what power, i almost died laughing when the said individual boasted about the HPI 4.6 motor and the SH .28 having 4 horsepower and like 40k rpm (according to the manufacturer ratings) i tried explaining how that engine didnt even hit the 1.5 horsepower mark when dyno'd, and how a pipe plays a huge roll along with tuning on any engines performance and of course gearing.

allot of people fall victim to these bogus horsepower ratings, dont pay attention to anything else that may have been a factor.

i doo agree with doing a dyno with the same fuel, pipe recommended for that specific engine and at what temp these engines were dyno'd at.

and yea, to even compare the OS .30 to the 528 is a joke.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:37 PM
rj91lx

[link=http://www.nitrodynesystems.com/Engine%20Database.htm]xtreme dyno #'s[/link]

[link=http://www.rc411.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2202]XRC's dyno database[/link]

check out these two links these are the only two places that have real dyno #'s that are repeatable and accurate. Engine manufacturer's make up estimated numbers to look good and sell engines XRC mag's dyno is the only true inertia dyno. The hotmodded 528XR is by far the baddest engine dynoed it made 2.02 horsepower and over 80oz of torque! The OS 30vg was not bad either with 1.8hp and 74 oz of torque. keep in mind the 528 was modded, but from what I've seen the stock 528 is still stronger than the 30vg but not alot and the os won't last near as long.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:00 PM
teamRevolution
Banned

MAX POWER tuned by massimo fantinni? 5 port with boost is perty much hands down is the fastest motor i have ever seen
nova rossi makes it its insane. it even sounds insane .. a friend put one in a stock rtr rs4 it shredded every two speed gear we had even when we were trying to be nice i seen 90 93 mph on another car but not in that crappy rs4 check it out its a little pricey but what the hell u got to show off sometimes ---or all the time ey
Old 08-19-2006, 09:09 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sh 28 P6 ported in one badass motor....on par or above the Nova 28...

We have a guy with a Max mod here, it has wicked top end but its very weak on the bottom end....the P6 in a truggy was ripping on it pretty good, but ita smaller track

the best .21 I have seen is the JPMod VSpec, it worked awesome in Truggy.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:46 AM
savagecommander

one.....remember that is even true in full scale is that dyno's are different. one dyno WILL read different than another. just the nature of the beast. you need to look at a power comparison between two engines on the SAME dyno. two....i'm all for the o's .30. i think they could re-do the crank and get more power from it,but if its anything like the .32's on the market i'm sure it is as rough and tumble as the rest.i put the surefire in my savage and i cant keep the tires on the ground. BUT, if your talking about power, i cut some tvp's and put the .70 in my savage and i just could'nt keep the tires down, i also could'nt keep a clutch in it. the engine spins to roughly half the rpm's as the stockers but DONT let that fool you.low revv's does not in any way mean less power. i said it before, DO THE MATH. as soon as i find a clutch to hold, and i get the three speed, i'm confident the .70 will handle any other engine on the market.i don't want to sound like a [sm=punching.gif] but larger displacement engines is a place more people need to go... IMO.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:47 AM
noximus

ORIGINAL: supertib

We have a guy with a Max mod here, it has wicked top end but its very weak on the bottom end....the P6 in a truggy was ripping on it pretty good, but ita smaller track

LMAO oh man, some peoples children
Old 08-19-2006, 11:11 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: noximus

ORIGINAL: supertib

LMAO oh man, some peoples children
Noximus I was just at the local track with my ported prospec... On the track it sucked, way way too much power...but when we did the grass races the prospec is untouchable... I was killing everything, even the buggy guys wouldn't even attempt to run with me...

My prospec is not a race motor and I wont argue that, but I will bet money there is not another big block made that will beat me in a drag race... I am going to video me beating a fellows Nova 28 very soon, both will be in truggies to keep things more planted... Your going to be shocked to see the truth... The Prospec is a flat out monster plain and simple.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:13 AM
supertib

http://euter.ftux.com/nitrorc7.wmv

heres running with some very slippery tires...
Old 08-19-2006, 11:14 AM
supertib

http://euter.ftux.com/ouch.wmv

so powerful I can't keep it under control
Old 08-19-2006, 11:18 AM
supertib

http://euter.ftux.com/walmart2.wmv

and even with a very low wheely bar I can still pull a 300' wheely...if you notice this wheely bar wont let me balance, this is 100% HP holding up the front... this is on a extended chassis extended arm Revo running top end gearing... And this is with 10 seconds of pinch on the fuel line beofre stalling, its still very rich.... I only let off because I was scared of ripping my wheely bar off...
Old 08-19-2006, 11:33 AM
teamRevolution
Banned

but speaking in small block couse i race 1/10 on-road outlaw -----a modified ---O.S. 18 with the right pipe [not the o.s.pipe]
some traxxas 33% and watch the guys who are spending there retirement away-- cringe ;[
i personally modify all my pipes with i larger stinger----sometimes i use a old header bend and make a cool pinky size output
it sounds cool is the first thing u notice--- then u richen up a bit ...i am perty anal to let my car warm up about a half a tank rich
then i get it on ----it sounds like a rocket ===== I do use a really short pipe that has little ports on the inside ----old hpi tuned pipe-----------------------
-------------------------------i wonder what different PIPES would do during the dyno process ----say 10 different pipes 1 engine ---
couse if u buy a motor sometimes u dont get a pipe and sometimes u dont want to purchase expensive pipe
========== OR what if one engine was close to first place and u took it and did a simple port polish and different pipe could it be the fastest`````````````i will race anyone ill just use some 60% nitro and my 90 $ o.s. .18 ha ha
Old 08-19-2006, 06:33 PM
noximus

My prospec is not a race motor and I wont argue that, but I will bet money there is not another big block made that will beat me in a drag race... I am going to video me beating a fellows Nova 28 very soon, both will be in truggies to keep things more planted... Your going to be shocked to see the truth... The Prospec is a flat out monster plain and simple.
i have seen engines that flat out have less power than the other beat any engine out there. if you dont have a certain engine tuned properly, pipe/header combo, it wont be at its potential.

i KNOW how the SH .28 runs, i have seen it run before, its not a shocker man, it honestly does not have anything on the 528, im sorry.

i also know how the 528 can be and is, i have beaten a 528 on the straight, reason being, the said individual was using a 13t clutchbell, so the engine winded out before it even got half way down the straight, i garuntee if he geared his 528 properly, he would have lit me up and down the straight hands down.

your videos are flawed man, if you want to test these engines HONESTLY with true results, you have to check out some of these drag races you can see out in texas or in southern california. they flat out run these motors into the ground, no cooling heads or anything. if that isnt a test, then i dont know what is. a couple of wheelies in the parking lot just doesnt prove anything, i can gear my trug to do that as well. thats not an accurate assesment on how to determine which does and doesnt have more power than the other.

check it out:
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3049263

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3049189

and here is a vid of a drag car using a novarossi .21 on-road engine. which BTW looks allot faster than your drag race vid.
http://media.putfile.com/Broke-in-th...a-heartbreaker

the way these guys put these motors to test, is probably more brutal than what most of us can do. and believe it or not, these motors are lasting 4 to 5 gallons.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

I love when kids claim their 3.5 cc engine has 3HP...

Its more like 0.3 HP
Old 08-19-2006, 07:46 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: noximus

i have seen engines that flat out have less power than the other beat any engine out there. if you dont have a certain engine tuned properly, pipe/header combo, it wont be at its potential.

i KNOW how the SH .28 runs, i have seen it run before, its not a shocker man, it honestly does not have anything on the 528, im sorry.

i also know how the 528 can be and is, i have beaten a 528 on the straight, reason being, the said individual was using a 13t clutchbell, so the engine winded out before it even got half way down the straight, i garuntee if he geared his 528 properly, he would have lit me up and down the straight hands down.

your videos are flawed man, if you want to test these engines HONESTLY with true results, you have to check out some of these drag races you can see out in texas or in southern california. they flat out run these motors into the ground, no cooling heads or anything. if that isnt a test, then i dont know what is. a couple of wheelies in the parking lot just doesnt prove anything, i can gear my trug to do that as well. thats not an accurate assesment on how to determine which does and doesnt have more power than the other.

check it out:
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3049263

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3049189

and here is a vid of a drag car using a novarossi .21 on-road engine. which BTW looks allot faster than your drag race vid.
http://media.putfile.com/Broke-in-th...a-heartbreaker

the way these guys put these motors to test, is probably more brutal than what most of us can do. and believe it or not, these motors are lasting 4 to 5 gallons.

Well dude heres the problem... I am running a 20 th clutchbell with as tall of gearing as i can find.. On another forum we are having a video timed top end challenge which I am winning with this same gearing..I am puling a 300' power wheely with top end gears pulling more mph then a RB C6... As well we are having a 0-100' challenge, before me the record was a 2.78, I am blasting it in 2.3 seconds with my same top end gearing.... Yes the drag cars in the video are faster then me, but they are also less then 1/3 of my weight and setup for drag racing... I am running off road tires and a full size MT...

You can disrespect thse SH engines all you want but the fact is my P6 has yet to be even remotely challenged... So be arrogant all you want, I have video performance tests beside all the other engines in question..... There is no other motor that makes tourque like this beast plain and simple....
Old 08-19-2006, 07:58 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yeah, people fall for the advertised HP all the time and it really burns me sometimes to read in mags what the newest hottest engine is supposed to put out.

Sometimes, I get so frustrated at reading "3.6HP!!!" and in reality the engine is lucky to put out 1.3HP. I guess engine makers run that engine in a stirctly air-tight lab with pure oxygen being fed directly into the carb. Then they probably mix TNT into the fuel and shoot that directly into the engine and Kaboom! The engine explodes and for .0000001sec, the engine made 3.6HP!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Lol yep...thats why i like RB, i never seen RB say any hp or rpm specifications...
Old 08-20-2006, 12:01 AM
teamRevolution
Banned

OK you all KNOW the first duratraxx engines where the fastes engines ever made period ..................
Old 08-20-2006, 12:45 PM
noximus

but they are also less then 1/3 of my weight and setup for drag racing... I am running off road tires and a full size MT..
LMAO, dude, they are going 80mph, disrespect an SH engine?

nevermind man, have fun doing what you do, you are obviously dedicated at what you do. (whatever it is)

Old 09-09-2008, 01:03 PM
AmosRacki

Hello everyone, my name is amy and I'm trying to buy my boyfriend a really good Rc gas powered car... the issue is I have no freaking clue about rc cars. I'd ask him but I dont want to ruin the surprise. I'm willing to pay up to 300.00 -400.00 and I would like him to be able to use it in the snow. Also I want it to go as fast as it can... Like I said no clue if those two things come together but if anyone can help me that would be great. You can email me at [email protected], subject rc car, Thanks for your time!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:51 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1.) Team Losi Aftershock?? Not sure where the best prices are..

2.) http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/17281

and

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4930

and

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18796

That shop - amainhobbies - is the best online shop for ordering stuff - good prices, good service, they have everything, etc..

Option 1 is a monstertruck - has a 2-speed transmission, bigger wheels, will do wheelies, etc.. Option 2 is a truggy - lower, handles better, "zippier" in the way it drives.. The Aftershock needs a few upgrades IMO, but the ST-1 fits your budget nicely as is, and is a good solid truck. Kind of depends on the kind of place your boyfriend would want to drive it, and what he'd want to do with it.. If big jumps for ex, then maybe the Aftershock. If more zipping around a BMX track or whatever - well, both would be good..

If you wanted to go all out and spend a bit more on something truly burly and ready to rip right away . - I'd consider either the Team Associated MGT S50 or whatever it's called, or an HPI Savage XL.. Both are RTR and have huge engines....

Good luck!!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:04 PM
AmosRacki

Thanks! I think he'd like to do "all the above"with the RC car. He's my "big nerd" lol so I want to get the best for him.. Thanks again for your time.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:23 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A normal ole' Savage X4.6 RTR would nice too I guess.., and close to your budget I think.. HPI just came out with the "XL" version, which would be awfully nice too.. I mean, if you're gonna be a bear be a grizzly, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.