Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Ported SH .28 Question

Old 10-09-2006, 03:58 AM
duckedup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported SH .28 Question

I ported & polished a SH P6-28 ProSpec and now I have a question...

naturally, I acted before I really thought about it and now I'm wondering if i screwed up. See the pic below and you'll notice the left side, bottom arrow (ignore the top arrow) I cut that wedge there and now I'm afraid I threw everything out of balance and it's gonna kill my bearings.. I'm guessing I'll be able to find a shaft somewhere and replace if needed... but... I've already done the break-in and ran about a quart through it...

1st - will there be any ill affects by doing this?

2nd - Since I've already ran a quart+ through it, is it too late to buy a new shaft if needed? (basically, do you think the bearings are possibly already toast and need replacing too)

3rd - If I do need a new shaft, where is a good place to get one at a decent price?

On a side note... performance is great so far but there's not much fuel through it and I want to fix this ASAP if I messed up...

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated, Thanks in advance!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:47 AM
WalawalaStore

Default RE: Ported SH .28 Question

Hi,

Engine modification is not simple task. If you are not 100% sure, better don't. A crank shaft can never be balanced well, don't worry. The moded area seems to be lightened in weight only, no big deal. If you can run the engine without problems, keep it as is.

It is a good idea to change ball bearings every 6-8 hrs of run time. I don't know where to buy SH crank shaft, you can try the BAY.

False modification will just cause engine not able to be tuned, mostly you won't toast it, just need new parts.

Regards

Joaquim
Old 10-09-2006, 04:55 PM
duckedup

I'm happy with how the rest of the p/p turned out, just worried about the shaft..I did the same thing to my MGT 4.6 stocker with noticeable improvement in performance, I didn't do this to the shaft on that one though..

It holds a tune and was unbelievably easy to break in and find the right tune, by far the easiest motor I've broken in so far (even easier than the stock MGT 4.6)..
Performance is awesome so far, I'm just wondering if leaving the shaft stock would have been even better..[sm=confused.gif].. I cut the wedge to force the mixture thru a little better, not thinking about possibly throwing the balance off.. but like I said, it's unreal how easy this motor was/is to tune..

What really made me wonder about this possibly being a problem was seeing a little leakage from the front bearing, not much, but still a leak[:@].. I've heard that's not so abnormal but I'm wondering if I caused this by what I did..

If nobodies for sure about my question, does anyone know a good website I could go to for some Q&A on this??....

..Thanks again
Old 11-21-2006, 06:26 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its fine...it wont affect anything.....if anything you will notice a little more snap at lower RPM's
Old 11-21-2006, 06:40 PM
duckedup

cool..

I don't have anything to compare it to since I did the p/p before I even ran it but it does seem to have a ton of low end, it's night and day compared to the stock 4.6 that I also p/p'd..

thanks again..
Old 11-21-2006, 06:56 PM
SManMTB

Don't worry about the balance.