Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Anthoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

Hilifemt,good idea on praticing on an old sleeve first.
As JB said the angle is not quite right....also try not to make the cuts too deep as this will reduce flow speed.See the dark lines on the sleeve...this is a good guide for the required angle.
I've (crudely) edited your pics to try and help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12950.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	873638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52158.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	873639  
Old 02-09-2008, 10:10 AM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

Hilifemt,good idea on praticing on an old sleeve first.
As JB said the angle is not quite right....also try not to make the cuts too deep as this will reduce flow speed.See the dark lines on the sleeve...this is a good guide for the required angle.
I've (crudely) edited your pics to try and help.
Thanks alot man. I actually thought the deeper the better, so thanks for that tip. and after you mentioned the black lines as guidelines and edited my pic, I see what you are talking about.

Glad I had an old sleeve. It makes for good practice without any worries. Hope I get it right on my good sleeve now
thanks again Anthoop
Old 02-10-2008, 01:07 PM
hilifemt

I cut my good sleeve today. I kept it real basic since it was my first time. Got the fang angle better than my practice sleeve and didnt cut as deep. and polished it up. Thanks for the tips guys. Im excited for this nasty blizzard to pass so I can test it out!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44768.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	874966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd42953.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	874967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Az46503.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	874968  
Old 02-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Calin666

I have some extra parts, and an engine laying around (the undamaged sleeve to an Axial .28RR that I will use for practice, and a well used SuperTiger .27 pullstart from a Duratrax Raze that still runs), so I think I will try this.
Who knows, maybe it breathe some new life into that little engine. hehe
Old 02-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Anthoop

ORIGINAL: hilifemt

I cut my good sleeve today. I kept it real basic since it was my first time. Got the fang angle better than my practice sleeve and didnt cut as deep. and polished it up. Thanks for the tips guys. Im excited for this nasty blizzard to pass so I can test it out!
Second attempt is much better mate...well done.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:41 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Dont give up, keep that sleeve and keep on practicing on it. It will be mangled to high h3ll, but your steady hands will come. Cutting a sleeve in 20min will not yield good results (unless you are very very proficient with the Dremel). For me, working on a single sleeve can be a whole afternoon affair. Just be patient and wok on controlling the tool from jumping and chattering. Soon, you will become proficient enough to cut curves and even wright with the Dremel with some ease.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:35 AM
supertib

i did a few cranks today....milled em out and filled them

Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 AM
JB COMP

Looks nice supertib, on the first crank in the pictures, did you grind the crank pin or is that the way is comes stock?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:06 AM
K223

Hey I would like to see how those cranks look......But your pictures are not showing up...Can you repost by chance?

Thanks

K223
Old 02-11-2008, 11:22 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: K223

Hey I would like to see how those cranks look......But your pictures are not showing up...Can you repost by chance?

Thanks

K223

they are on photobucket...your likely lacking a necessary plug in to view photobucket images..
Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 AM
JB COMP

or his browser is blocking the pictures
Old 02-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Colt4g63

Pictures can only teach/show you so much... Theres ALOT more to know when trying to make power with these engines then just the flow mods that u can see in pics. Timing plays a HUGE role... And you have to know when and where to alter timing by looking at all the engines timings... then seeing where the engines timing needs to be altered. You cant just go cranking the timing to what ever you want of course Knowing when and where and to what degree to alter timing to is where the real knowledge of engine modification comes into play.

I had an old modified sleeve laying around so I popped a couple pics for you guys to check out. Of course in these pics you cant see where timing has been altered.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:26 PM
JB COMP

Adam, I can see where you could do more to the out side of that sleeve, but like you said its an old sleeve, so I guess it don't matter.

is all the done with diamond files?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:30 PM
K223

True pictures can only show and guide you so much and that is not the knowledge one needs to by far only arm theselves with. Not that these little two strokes work quite the same way as a gas automobile engine, I have a bit of knowledge in regards here and I know how complex this whole game is on modifying performance. The difference between hi performance modifications and rebuilding an engine to stock specifications are like day and night.

Strage I cannot see any of these pics either....I can see some by others and in different threads. Maybe I do need some type of plugin???

Where can I learn more about the engine timing in regards to these motors, does anyone have any links that I can read up about? I would guess the only timing we are working with here is in relation to crank posistion and TDC through compression to the power to the exhaust BDC to the intake strokes....Which are only comprised of two. Just curious to where the adjustablility is in timing, or we just talking about modifying certain events and the flow characteristics at that point?

Being these motors work on such simple and limited operations.....It can be easy to gain some power, but then again do one small thing wrong and you really have a problem as well.

Looking forward to picking up some good information here.

K223
Old 02-11-2008, 05:44 PM
JB COMP

how do figure out if you should do 3 turbo cuts like

or if you should do just 2 like this one?

hope you don't mind that I copied your pictures.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:18 PM
dayglo

hey guys, i like the pics. i to am in a deep freeze here in wis. so i've been doing some modds on some engines. i have some question 4 u guys. when u put the fanges on the sleeves, y don't u use a grinding stone in stead of a cutter, they don't jump so much. also have u ran your motor with the modded con rods and how do they run. do u get more rpm's out of these motors after your done? i find that not to many "pro's" like to let anyone in on their secrets for porting and what works best. i have an os rg that i would like to get alittle more rpm's out of so if u guys know any secrets that u don't mind sharing, that would be great. also any tips 4 a sh .28 would be great.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: dayglo

hey guys, i like the pics. i to am in a deep freeze here in wis. so i've been doing some modds on some engines. i have some question 4 u guys.

1.)When u put the fanges on the sleeves, y don't u use a grinding stone in stead of a cutter, they don't jump so much.

2.)also have u ran your motor with the modded con rods how do they run. do u get more rpm's out of these motors after your done?

3.)i find that not to many "pro's" like to let anyone in on their secrets for porting and what works best.

i have an os rg that i would like to get alittle more rpm's out of so if u guys know any secrets that u don't mind sharing, that would be great. also any tips 4 a sh .28 would be great.
I numbered you question to make it easier to answer them.

1.) the grinding stone will clog up with the soft brass, (on soft metals you want something with some teeth to cut into the metal) and you don't grind the fangs, you cut the fangs so you use a cutter to cut

2.) I do not mod the conrod.

3.) the pro modders will not give out there secrets of modding, thats there business, it would be like a walmart telling K-mart there secrets on how to sell stuff. so a pro modder will not tell some one there secrets. thats how they make there money. go up to microsoft and ask them how to make window XP or vista and see if they will tell. (I've tried, it didnt work for me)

but theres others that will help. I would but I don't know enough to really help you, you seem like you know how to do basic sleeve mods, and that all I know at the moment.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:58 PM
dayglo

so what do u consider it when u put the scoops on it? do u polish it as well? what about running your engines. about the tips from pros, when we try this stuff, i don't think i'm going to steal their busness, just would like some simple tips on how to make more rpm. this might be the best kept secret since????????????? well i don't know what
Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 PM
dayglo

i'm sorry the crank is what i meant. also what did u use to fill it in?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: dayglo

so what do u consider it when u put the scoops on it? do u polish it as well? what about running your engines. about the tips from pros, when we try this stuff, i don't think i'm going to steal their busness, just would like some simple tips on how to make more rpm. this might be the best kept secret since????????????? well i don't know what

the turbo (I'm guessing thats what you're calling scoops) cuts in the crank, are there to mainly mix the fuel and air.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what about running your engines" there might some pro's that will help, but the best way is to find one that don't mind helping, there's people on this forum that know alot about modding and timing an engine, but some of them will not take you seriously till you know some stuff already.

I'll PM you some of the links I was given.

to get more top end out of your engine, would be to mod the exhaust timing, I would like to be able to tell you, go to this degree, but I can't no one can unless they have modded that engine before, or have atleast timed it.

how much do you even know about timing? do you know how to degree an engine?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Colt4g63

ORIGINAL: JB COMP

how do figure out if you should do 3 turbo cuts like

or if you should do just 2 like this one?

hope you don't mind that I copied your pictures.
JB those cuts are there on those crankshafts stock... Tib smoothed and reshaped some for them to flow better.

And on my sleeve pics there is no need to take anymore material out of it then there already is. Taking away too much material can actually give you negative results.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 PM
K223

Looks like nice looking work. Since this sleeve probably belonged to a high performance turbo racing motor, I would be curious to see what the stock sleeve looked like in comparison to your now modded sleeve. I just think it would help to showcase your work, not to mention give some the incentive to send you a motor to do.

K223
Old 02-11-2008, 10:59 PM
JB COMP

JB those cuts are there on those crankshafts stock... Tib smoothed and reshaped some for them to flow better.

And on my sleeve pics there is no need to take anymore material out of it then there already is. Taking away too much material can actually give you negative results.
I think I remember seeing a few engines with cuts like that, I guess I'm use to working on lower grade engine that don't have any cuts on them stock.

how do you know when you take to much off? and what would happen if you did?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Colt4g63

That sleeve that I posted doesnt have any fuel channels when stock. Those were all cuts/modifications I performed on the sleeve. I dont have any stock 821 sleeve's laying around or I would post one up.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:10 PM
dayglo

jb, i mean how does the motor run when your done with it? u mainly just do the fangs on the sleeves? or do u mess with timimg yet? and yes i know i need a degree wheel to set different degrees but even if i got one no one wants to give measurement anyway. i have read though this tread and many others to find out all that is out there so any help is very apperated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.