Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:13 PM
JB COMP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

ORIGINAL: Colt4g63

That sleeve that I posted doesnt have any fuel channels when stock. Those were all cuts/modifications I performed on the sleeve. I dont have any stock 821 sleeve's laying around or I would post one up.

oh thats a NR 821 sleeve, don't worry about posting a picture I'm sure I could find one.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:17 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: dayglo

jb, i mean how does the motor run when your done with it? u mainly just do the fangs on the sleeves? or do u mess with timimg yet? and yes i know i need a degree wheel to set different degrees but even if i got one no one wants to give measurement anyway. i have read though this tread and many others to find out all that is out there so any help is very apperated.

the engines I've dome so far have been fangs only basicly no timing what so ever. and they run better than before, but if I remember correctly fangs and porting the outside of the sleeve is more for mileage then power (colt4g63, supertib is that right)

I said I would send a PM to some links that I've got on engine modding, I just didn't have time, I'll do it before I go to bed.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:28 PM
dayglo

well colt, u seem to know alot too. r the fanges for better milage? if u put those on do u mean u get longer run times on the same tank u used before, i.e. u ran 7 min. before now u get 10 min. on a tank? so does that mean after u put fanges on your sleeve do u have to lean out the motor more?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 PM
nitro stan

could i get the links also please

anyone modded the little .05 engine for the sportwerks chaos?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 PM
K223

I would like to dig up some pics of that Nova Rossi sleeve and compare it in stock form.....These multi port hi po motors are something. Nice work on that Adam.

K223
Old 02-11-2008, 11:43 PM
K223

It should be no surprise, but if you read enough and ask questions and practice you can eventually do some of the smaller mods and get your motor to pickup some it seems. But to get where the Topdogs take these motors and you know who they are (The ones with the awesome looking modded sleeves and cranks recently posted) you really need to know about so much more in regards to these motors when you get deep into it. It's so easy to ruin one as well.

K223
Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 AM
dayglo

thats ok too, gotta learn somehow. i have afew rc cars and trucks but i think i like modding and tearing them apart to see how they work. i'm more like the pit crew rather than the driver.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:00 AM
dayglo

have u guys messed with an os rg. there fairly cheap on ebay, and the sleeves arn't bad either, but there fairly fast and run good and with alittle help who knows what they would become.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 AM
JB COMP

well colt, u seem to know alot too.
yeah that because Cotl4g63 is Adam at ABmods[8D] maybe if you would read his sig you would know that
Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 AM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys! Im wanting to do some practice cutting to my spare AE pro .28 crankshaft. Can someone edit my pics to show me where I should cut? Or, post a pic of a cut CS that I could guide myself with. I know that's alot to ask, but it would be greatly appreciated. After cutting my first sleeve I found out how fun this actually is!

Also, I saw a few posts back from colt saying, making cuts to increase flow is good and all, but your not going to get any real HP until you start messing with timing. ( not a direct quote but something along those lines ) How much does this flow cutting help? and where/how does it help specifically? I never plan on doing any timing changes since that sruff is way over my head. But was just wondering if making these flow cuts is worth it. Thanks again for any help! much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74949.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	876653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15730.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	876654  
Old 02-12-2008, 10:42 AM
K223

I can understand how that is.....I sometimes like tinkering more with RC cars and real ones than I like driving them. But it still is great to get behind the controls and let it rip....What a feeling.

K223
Old 02-12-2008, 10:51 AM
K223

I would say square sharp edges are never a good thing where airflow has to come into play and go around. Does make turbulence and less of a smoother flow. Obviously different areas or more of a major concern than others. But I am not the one to say where we should and how much should be smoothened in a particular area. The pro's who do this I am sure can see a picture in there head and know exactly where the air flows over all the parts and what directions so they can work each area specifically. I guess what I am saying is until you know how these motors operate in greater detail internally, your probably at a disadvantage in working them over.

Be good to see if someone can give any pointers to your crank question. Would removing some of the counter weights heft help in revability of the motor? To what extent or how much is a good idea to remove on average? I have seen at least crank weight completely beveled in the middle and smoothened around the weight area. Then of course there are the cuts into the passage way internally to be done.

K223
Old 02-12-2008, 11:02 AM
JB COMP

I pictures aren't that good, but that should give you an idea. on the crank induction port, remove those flat spots, that I have marked. on the crank face on the left side you don't cut that off, you make it kinda like a scoop (I guess you would call it)

anyway hope this helps.

Name:	Ig11257.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	876687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29235.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	876688  
Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
K223

This is a duh question but not in front of a motor right now....Crank Rotation is clockwise for a running motor when looking at it from behind? What type of scoop is to be made on the counter weight, are you talking about that bevel edge that we see on the other crank posted above or sort of like knive edge it with an angle cut?

He maybe you can post another pic JB can draw some lines on with the weight facing sideways to clarify things a little. The major enhancement is with charge mixing as it's being inducted, not to mention a more smoother path for it travel is it is being sucked into the intake port?

K223
Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM
hilifemt

Thanks alot JB. That gives me a good general guideline to work off of. Im a little unsure about the 'scoop line' on the left, but i'll leave that for now and just work on the other parts. I'll post pics when Im done. thanks again bud!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: K223

This is a duh question but not in front of a motor right now....Crank Rotation is clockwise for a running motor when looking at it from behind? What type of scoop is to be made on the counter weight, are you talking about that bevel edge that we see on the other crank posted above or sort of like knive edge it with an angle cut?

He maybe you can post another pic JB can draw some lines on with the weight facing sideways to clarify things a little. The major enhancement is with charge mixing as it's being inducted, not to mention a more smoother path for it travel is it is being sucked into the intake port?

K223
Heres two picture that should help show what I'm talking about

(sorry for copying pictures, hope you don't mind)

in this picture look on the left side.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:49 PM
K223

This crank looks like a work of art....I know this took some time and effort. I can easily see how this will flow better and help push the intake charge up towards the intake port and reduce drag on the crank. If you can read the crank, you can see how this design enhances alot of things.

K223
Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 PM
JB COMP

I didn't realise the picture was that big when I copied it.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
hilifemt

Thanks for posting those 2 pictures JB. That was great! I did one cut off the crank so far. I decided to keep it simple since it's my first time so I went with one groove around the circle(lol, if anyone could give me the proper names of 'groove' and 'circle', that'd be great)

Im still going to do a scoop to the left but wanted some input about this cut first. Should I cut deeper? or any tips would be cool actually.

Im gonna work on smoothing out where the fuel drops into the crank right now and check back. if there is any terminolgy I am missing, and I know I am, could you please teach a noob! hahahaha thanks for the tips everyone and keep the tips coming. can never know too much!
[sm=thumbs_up.gif] [sm=49_49.gif]

btw, it's really hard for me to take pictures that show the depth and detail.

Name:	Ca80467.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	877002  
Old 02-12-2008, 04:59 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: hilifemt

Thanks for posting those 2 pictures JB. That was great! I did one cut off the crank so far. I decided to keep it simple since it's my first time so I went with one groove around the circle(lol, if anyone could give me the proper names of 'groove' and 'circle', that'd be great)

Im still going to do a scoop to the left but wanted some input about this cut first. Should I cut deeper? or any tips would be cool actually.

Im gonna work on smoothing out where the fuel drops into the crank right now and check back. if there is any terminolgy I am missing, and I know I am, could you please teach a noob! hahahaha thanks for the tips everyone and keep the tips coming. can never know too much!
[sm=thumbs_up.gif] [sm=49_49.gif]

btw, it's really hard for me to take pictures that show the depth and detail.

the "grove" is called a turbo cut as far as I know, I think there might be few other names, but turbo cuts are what most people call them.

that one looks pretty good (better than my first crank)
Old 02-12-2008, 05:09 PM
K223

Hey looks really good. One thing I noticed on the pro's crank above is his turbo grooves swirl in a very circular pattern to match the rotation of the crankshaft while it is turning in the motor and to allow the curvature of the turbo groove to move and evenly flow the charge as it comes out the induction opening during the cranks rotation. Otherwise if your more straight down you may create some turbulence as opposed to a sweeping of the flow up to the intake port. I am a novice when it comes to these engines I will admit first hand, but like I was saying stick the crank in the crankcase and turn it and watch how your turbo groove rides up along near the intake port and imagine the flow of the air/fuel channeling it's way up.

I would say you have a good handle on that dremel as your work looks clean and even.

K223
Old 02-12-2008, 06:23 PM
dayglo

man JB, u don't have to yell at me. didn't u know i can't read. seriously though, thats pretty cool that he, colt, gives some advice to people here on the forum. also thanks 4 the links to the info. very helpful.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 PM
dayglo

also, is it true that by opening up the flow of air and fuel, by fanges and such, it will give me longer run times??????????
Old 02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
JB COMP

man JB, u don't have to yell at me. didn't u know i can't read. seriously though, thats pretty cool that he, colt, gives some advice to people here on the forum. also thanks 4 the links to the info. very helpful.
Didn't realize I was YELLING!!!!! I really wasn't yelling, atleast I didn't think I was[&:]

also, is it true that by opening up the flow of air and fuel, by fanges and such, it will give me longer run times??????????

yes. when I modded my engine (no timing mods just fangs) I saw a increase in mileage.

Edit: I really can't believe my spelling is that bad. (I went and corrected my spelling)
Old 02-12-2008, 08:17 PM
dayglo

do u break in your motors before u modd?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.