Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

Old 01-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Pro Twister Mods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

pro flo 1211 is what i use, no problems and it's meant for this kind of thing, treated for heat and sticks permanatly. hope this will help[:@]
Old 01-24-2007, 04:20 PM
SAVAGEJIM

That stuff sounds great! Is that carried in most local RC stores? Or can it be had in any hardware store such as Lowes, Home Depot, or even the hardware of WalMart?

Also, how easy is it to work with and sculpt? What are the curing times? Should the surface that it is going to be applied to be made ough or will it adhere to any surface no matter how smooth?

I am an absolute noob to this and am trying to learn as much as possible.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:02 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Just got a cheap-o camera form Target for less than $22. I'm taking pics of my crank and sleeve I worked on now. As soon as I figure out this little cheap thing, the pics will follow very shortly.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:24 PM
SAVAGEJIM

With terrible disappointment, the $20 camera sucks and the pic turned out to be horrible. See the pics below. The pics are too blurry, but I hope you guys can see the sculpting I did. Other than the shine, the polishing job is virtually not visible. I'm going to try to acquire a better camera and attempt to post some better pics. Sorry guys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37042.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	605876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20164.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	605877  
Old 01-24-2007, 09:33 PM
bennyblanco

i dont know if your holding the camera when you snaping the picture but try leaving it on the table and and just pless the buttom dont hold it on your hands. but from what i can see you did a good job!!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Thanks! Its the camera, it just sucks really bad. I tried to take more pics, and all of them came out red-shifted (the orangish color). The other pics of different angles were so blurry, you literally would not recognize the part as a crankshaft. The above pic is the best that stupid thing produced. []
Old 01-28-2007, 09:27 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Bump: I am still trying to master the techniques in the article posted in this thread. I feel I am getting a little better after practicing now on three worn out K4.6 sleeves. I still feel that I have much more to master befoe I will attempt to try this on a brand new sleeve.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:37 PM
-SomeGuy-

For the pics i suggest you put a strong light on the object your shooting, this way the camera can focus properly.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Pro Twister Mods

savagejim, this stuff is used at a 2 stroke motor performance shop where i live. the best cure time is 3 days and when i put it in the area of the crank is left untouched not polished or smoothed. it is somewhat thin and is a little tricky the first few times if you havnt done it before, i will try and get the adess next time i am there.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:30 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Thanks,now that I have esentialy tunrd this crank into a practice piece in modding, whenever I can get some of this epoxy, I will practice applying it and sculpting it. If I dont like the results, I will dremmel it out and try again until I can get the technique down. This I hope will be not so difficult to learn and eventually master.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:14 PM
bennyblanco

i did some work on my sleeve and piston i will post pictures later on let me know what yall think!!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Pro Twister Mods

BB lets see some pics man
Old 02-05-2007, 11:33 PM
bennyblanco

This sucks i forgot the camera at my girlfriens house, now i have to wait till tomorrow to post the pictures[:@] sorry fellas!!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Pro Twister Mods

why is the camera at your girlfriends house there ah benny ha aha aha we see well you just get it from the girl friends house ok man we want some stinking pic man LOL
Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Over the weekend, I attempted to also mod a K4.6 conrod. My attempt iw to lighten the con-rod on the heavier end and make the knife-edge more knife like. Since this piece too is also used, I have no regrets since I intend to get a new con-rod with a piston and sleeve rebuild kit. Afterall, I consider this piece a practice piece now.

Anyways, I figured that since I cut so much material off of the crank counterbalance, I should help reduce the weight on the other end. I cut some material off by rounding sharp edges and smoothing the side opposite of the mount for the con-rod journal, and by modding the con-rod itself, especially the side that mounts to the con-rod journal on the crank, I hope to help put the weight ratios back to the stock proportion as much as possible.

For the work I did on the con-rod, I expect that I weakened it a little (I hope not too much). The cross-sectioal area of the shaft of the knife edge on the conrod has been reduced and a reduced cross-sectional area will as a result have to bear the same amount of stresses. I hope the strain will not throw things off. If I only knw the allow compound of th K4.6 conrod, I could look up the modulus of elasticity and then calculate the stress load the thinnest cross-sectional area will bear. If anyone knows the metallugy of the K4.6, please post it.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:50 PM
shesha

BCSavage can you email me the original articles please.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2007, 10:44 PM
bennyblanco

well fellas i fanilly got the camera from my girlfriend.i did a little work to the sleeve and i only polished the crankshaft tell me how i did i know i didnt do to much to the sleeve but i didnt want to over do it.by the way this is my first time trying this!!opinions are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49201.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	615500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87055.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	615501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80481.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	615502  
Old 02-07-2007, 05:47 PM
livthemoment

From the article, how do you determine the angle of the psuedo guide port that is dremeled into the transfer port. It mentioned something about the transfer port being vertical, but I could not tell if it meant the angle of the bevel in the port or what.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:34 PM
bennyblanco

well the engine i did this to was used and when its used you can see a mark on the sleeve which is where the fuel runs true so i go by that.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:48 PM
bennyblanco

i forgot to tell yall that I test drove the car today and i was suprised how much faster it was my mayhem buggy was SCREAMING!!!!! [>:]
Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Pro Twister Mods

Good job
Old 02-08-2007, 12:28 AM
bennyblanco

thanks dude!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:05 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Does anyone know what grade of alum they use in most engines? Particularly, I'm looking for the alum alloy that the K4.6 uses; I want to calculate the new failing stresses for the conrod I modified. If anyone knows this, please post.

Also, I attempted to port a sleeve just last night, the attempt was an aberration. Looks like I need more practice; good thing the sleeve was junk to begin with.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Pro Twister Mods

what kind of bit are you using?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:46 PM
125cchyperman

Pro twister mod.

I asked this question on the other thread but I guess you or supertib went didnt go back to the thread after I posetd it. When you extend the duration of both the intake and exhaust port, do you extend both by X amount of degree's. Another words when you extend the duration do you extend both by the same amount of degree's,

Or when you extend the duration of both, are they done seperately and the others duration is not taken into affect as long as the exhaust opens before the intake. Another words is exhaust duration extended by x amount of degree's and the intake is duration is extended by y amount of degree's when you are changing the timming of the engine. Also you said that you tend to mess with the squish, when you do this do you run into any detonation, and if so do you just add a shim or do you not change the squich enough for detonation to take affect, and when messing with the squich do you change to a colder plug to retard the timming of ignition or do you want to advance the timming.

If you want to PM with the answers thats totally fine with me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.