Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:14 PM
savagecommander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

shim thickness wont help bottom end.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:49 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: CR Revo

Ok guys I have a slight problem with a port job I did on my LRP Z.28. The engine screams at top end, more than it did before the port job. I didn't fool with any timing at all. I did fill the crank at the entrance to allow for better flow though. The deal is when I come off idle it hesitates for just a second before she takes off, but it's not like a stutter like it it's too lean, nor is it like a sound like it's loading up. It just hesitates. I was thinking that maybe I may have to play with my shims a little bit now that my crankcase characteristics have changed, but don't know which way to go. Should I add a shim or should I decrease shim thickness?

Play around with the LSN.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:30 PM
CR Revo
My Feedback: (1)

I have played around with it a lot, it runs good for a minute and then starts acting up. I'm thinking maybe I have to change pipes. I am using a BUKU BB pipe now, may switch to a JP4 or JP3 and see what happens, or if you guys have any suggestions for pipes for a ported LRP .28 I'd love to hear them.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:46 AM
mr_kentu

hi guys, noob here....
im running 1/10 on road touring car wif .12 novarossi engine...
just ported my sleeve....
here the pic....

am i doing the right direction ? are there any suggestion about the additional port that has to be done to push the power up?
i also did some port to the crank... the engine idle properly, however when i push it hard for a couple of time, the glow plug just died right away.i already spent 3 glow plugs..
anyone have any idea whats wrong with my engine ????
thanks,.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:09 AM
savagecommander

might be too rich- did you reset the needles after you did this mod?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
mr_kentu

yup, already reset all of the needle after, i felt the performance increased, and i believe that i set the needle correctly. my only problem just the the glow plugs only can be use about couple of minutes when i push the car that hard....
i tried to add some more gasket to lower the compression, but nothing change.....
Old 04-15-2009, 11:21 PM
JoeyCoates

Well I took the plunge and modded my Losi 454 that came stock in my LST XXL. I di dnot take any pics but I basically did the same as the LRP .28 on this thread. All I can say is that it runs MUCH stronger then before, I flipped it over backwards on the front straight at the track tonight and it has NEVER done that. It accelerated quicker and more smoothly then it ever has, and it was easier to tune. I am no expert by any means, but man did it make a difference. I was having to "blip" the throttle on the track to keep the rear end under it, it was nearly too much. That 13 lbs XXL was running head to head with some buggies down the straight. One had an GRP tuned 21 and the other had a V-Spec in it. I was not exactly just pulling them (not enough room to strecth out) but off of the last corner into the first it was running with them. Pretty impressive for a big ole' lead sled of an LST XXL!
Old 04-16-2009, 02:08 PM
calvino

Wow, amazing stuff porting does, just currious in a "nutshell" what you did. I am allways tempted to "touch" the sleeve of my LRP but 3.5 gallons in... I don't have the nuts to do it yet. Did make a difference on my TTR Pro .28 with fuel economy. Whats your guys take on polishing the crank/smothing the 'intake' with silicone. Ya or Na. I do know that if silicone chunks get into the engine they won't really "kill it" it will just run a lil funky/you do have a mess to clean up now [>:]
Old 04-16-2009, 03:37 PM
misasi

ive done light port work to my ttr .28 and wow it just screams. it has more bottom end now with my HS pipe than it did before the mod with a LS pipe. the engine runs cooler aswell. runtime is about the same.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:53 PM
BCSavage

I can't believe that 2 years later and this thread is still going strong. You guys rock, and I'm glad that you are having success with what I posted. Cheers!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:03 PM
BCSavage

Mr. K.

Could it be that your throttle servo is hesitating, not your motor itself?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Destruktiveone

I did this portting on a stock VX .18 motor that comes with the volcano SV. Unfortunatly i cannot test wether or not it runs alot better as i stripped my spur gear out a few days back. I did however get it started and idling and reved it to max a few times and it seems to me the rpms sound higher by a few thousand. Might not have boosted it in a major way but it definatly sounds like it boosted it. On another note, Did anybody else have problems getting the motor started after using WD-40 on it? I used more than the manual said to use so im thinking its mixing with the nitro and causing it to not want to fire. Back to stripping it down and trying to clear some WD-40 out. lol
Old 05-01-2009, 09:47 PM
JB COMP

Destruktiveone, I've had problems with WD40 when I used it. Engine had less compression, ran hotter, and not as good as when I stopped using it. I use denatured alcohol to clean my engines, and ARO to lube it when I reassemble the engine.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:10 PM
savagecommander

cleaning with wd-40 will actually strip any oils off the metal
Old 05-02-2009, 02:32 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

cleaning with wd-40 will actually strip any oils off the metal
I think the oil left behind helps seal the piston to the sleeve.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:41 PM
edvin

Question about Axe Rossi Mamba 0,21 sleeve, I could not find information about "multiport" engines - i'm sorry!.
Unfortunately I do not have any experience yet and I have only one sleeve to modify right now. Could you please comment what might be quite safe to do and what to avoid?

What i noticed, window under boost port is a bit off the center (seems like channel in motorblock is also shifted) - looks strange to me.
Should I do something with that window also or is it enough to sharpen the boost port angle? Is it reasonable to make those two small exhaust holes more sharpen, pointing more towards pipe?
[link=http://www.saabiklubi.ee/~cyber/pildid/edvin/Boost_port.jpg]Boost port[/link]

It's not clear for me what to do with marked transfer port? It almoust does not have upward angle. Should ia make it sharper and add guide or not to touch at all?
[link=http://www.saabiklubi.ee/~cyber/pildid/edvin/Transfer_port.jpg]Transfer port[/link]
Old 05-11-2009, 08:40 AM
savagecommander

wd-40 acts as a solvent. if you clean it with wd-40 make sure you wash all of it off and use another lubercant.

you want the transfer port marked to be at more of a strait angle- and the other boost port shouldnt be pointed at the pipe, but at the roof just behind the glow plug
Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 PM
calvino

Anyone here know anythinga bout changing the timing on a motor. I have heard (in a nutshell) you remove a TINY amount from the exhaust port to change the timing on the engine. Is this true or not, I just wanted to know of my theory was right. I have heard that changing timing is a touchy thing....
Old 05-11-2009, 07:48 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: calvino

Anyone here know anythinga bout changing the timing on a motor. I have heard (in a nutshell) you remove a TINY amount from the exhaust port to change the timing on the engine. Is this true or not, I just wanted to know of my theory was right. I have heard that changing timing is a touchy thing....

If you remove any metal from the top of any port you change the timing. You can definitely mess an engine up fast when you mess with timing. The TRX 2.5R I did turned out fine, and I raised the exhaust timing on it quite a bit.

TRX2.5R (stock)

Intake 63 BBDC - 126 duration
Boost 60 BBDC - 120 duration
Exhaust 79BBDC - 158 duration
Crank 40 ABDC (open) 55ATDC (close) - duration 195

(Modded)
Intake/boost 65 BBDC - duration 130
Exhaust 85BBDC - duration 170
Crank 40 ABDC (open) 70ATDC (close) - duration 210
I did not changed the crank timing, because I didn't have a carbide bit at the time, but the sleeve modded sleeve timing is what it should be. (I didn't check it after I did the mod) It ran a lot better, till I stripped the drive shaft on my Maxx. [&o]
Old 05-11-2009, 09:53 PM
calvino

Just currious where you removed the metal to change the timing, I have heard it is from the top but.... don't allways believe what I hear. Yep it is a very easy way to screw up a good moto fast ([X(])
Old 09-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Enuflogic

Default RE: RC Car Actions

I know this has been dead for some time, so leave it too a noob to bump it 

I wanted to try this out on my Megatech .16 since I'm not really using it.  I pulled it apart and looked over the sleeve and it struck me as a little odd.  Here are the pics which I doctored up.  You can see the 'clean' part where the flow comes in, which is off from the actual port locations...

Old 09-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Anthoop

From looking at your pictures the sleeve is not correctly orientated in the block, ie- it is twisted.
Is it located by a dowel pin in the block and slot in sleeve? Maybe remove dowel and set sleeve correctly in block and try it then, I think it will make a fair difference without even getting the dremel out.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Enuflogic

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

From looking at your pictures the sleeve is not correctly orientated in the block, ie- it is twisted.
Is it located by a dowel pin in the block and slot in sleeve? Maybe remove dowel and set sleeve correctly in block and try it then, I think it will make a fair difference without even getting the dremel out.
Yes, it is set by a dowel in the block and a slot in the sleeve. I was wondering about just "shifting" the sleeve to match up better with the way the block is flowing, guess I will have to play with that tonight. I will measure, but let's say I need to shift it 1/8", I guess I just notch a new slot in the sleeve?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Anthoop

Personally I would not bother making a new slot in the sleeve. Once you find the correct location just mark the point where the pin should be (relative to the sleeve slot) and when rebuilding line it up and tighten the head down. Once the head is tight it will not rotate anyway.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Enuflogic

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

Personally I would not bother making a new slot in the sleeve. Once you find the correct location just mark the point where the pin should be (relative to the sleeve slot) and when rebuilding line it up and tighten the head down. Once the head is tight it will not rotate anyway.
This sounds like a great idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.