Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

What Engine To Buy ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Cas_NitroGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Engine To Buy ?

lol I've been lookin around and I'm tryin to find a nice high hp with nice bottom mid and high end.... heres some choice's I like to fit in my NTC3

Associated LRP Z.28R Spec 3 w/Pull Start http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKYU8&P=0

O.S. 18TZ (P) Turbo w/Slide Carb http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHLV6&P=0

Sirio Evo3 5 port turbo dunno where to find it.

and maybe you could suggest some other engines for me ?... because I found this last night where this kid has a Sirio Evo3 5 Port in his NTC3... just watch this... pretty quick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSYSPCjL4e4
Old 02-27-2007, 06:39 PM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What Engine To Buy ?

first of all, that first one is a .28, those are used in big block off road trucks, also, what is your price range and are you just using it for bashing or true racing on a track, the 18tz is gunna be way, way more power than you can need or use because the tc3 is so light
Old 02-28-2007, 01:05 AM
Cas_NitroGT

well pretty much both... I bash on the week days with my brother and a cupple friends with R40's that have the Sirio Evo3 in them but I race on the weekends for money and winning rc cars if they put them up... I'm a club racer. but need a little bit more power... I've been hearing alot of good things about the O.S. 18TZ... whats the hp range on that ?... because I know its about a 200 dollor engine...
Old 02-28-2007, 03:06 AM
Igotntc3andrevo

GET THE .18TZ I HAVE IT AND IT RIPS. buuuuuut you must know how to tune it for it is a turbo motor. which tend to be a lil more finicky but i love it and am thinking putting one in my revo if i don't go big block so that shows the horsepower it has.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:43 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Cas_NitroGT

well pretty much both... I bash on the week days with my brother and a cupple friends with R40's that have the Sirio Evo3 in them but I race on the weekends for money and winning rc cars if they put them up... I'm a club racer. but need a little bit more power... I've been hearing alot of good things about the O.S. 18TZ... whats the hp range on that ?... because I know its about a 200 dollor engine...
The .18TZ should make a little more than 1BHP (real world HP). It's advertised HP is nearly 2.2 to 2.3HP. Bear in mind that advertised HP is very different from SAE corrected real world HP.

The .18TZ produces torque and HP that rivals many smaller displaement big blocks (.21 engines). In a light vehicle, (I have one in an HPI R40), the .18TZ will literally cause all 4 wheels to drift at the instant the trigger is pulled. It will take you alot of trigger discipline to tame this and master maximizing your car's acceleration.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Rotorranch

The Kid and I both have TZ 18's in our on-road cars, ( my RS4/2, his NTC3 Factory Team Car ). Crazy power, and holds a tune well. More power than you really need. A CV 18 may be a better choice as it's a little less powerful. We have the CV's on our RC10GT's, and they are great.

Rotor
Old 03-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Cas_NitroGT

well see I was gonna put the .18TZ in my NTC3... but the thing is... would the slide carb work with the stock servo ?... because it have a rotory carb. I just wanna buy the engine and the roto start on it and break it in. and anyway how much would a break in station cost a guy ?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Rotorranch

well see I was gonna put the .18TZ in my NTC3... but the thing is... would the slide carb work with the stock servo ?... because it have a rotory carb. I just wanna buy the engine and the roto start on it and break it in.
Yeah, either the slide carb or the rotary carb will work on the NTC3. You will have to change the carb linkage around some. Refer to your instruction manual for specifics.

As stated earlier, the TZ is way more motor than needed. A CV-18 is plenty. The Kid completely shagged out a brand new set of tires in ONE TANK OF FUEL with the TZ-18.

Rotor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69456.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	633058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72604.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	633059  
Old 03-02-2007, 09:50 PM
SAVAGEJIM

well see I was gonna put the .18TZ in my NTC3... but the thing is... would the slide carb work with the stock servo ?... because it have a rotory carb. I just wanna buy the engine and the roto start on it and break it in. and anyway how much would a break in station cost a guy ?
The .18TZ also comes in a rotary carb version. I think it is the -P, I cannot remember, but check out the OS website, they will tell you the exact model that has the rotary.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:47 AM
Cas_NitroGT

see but the rotory carb doesn't have the SG shaft... thats the thing that worried me... so pretty much the CV 18 is the way to go ?... what hp is that ? and whats the rpm rate on it ?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:57 AM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 18cv-r is rated at about 1.6hp, its not a high rpm engine but it makes up for that in torque, trust me, its a very good engine, starts easy, tunes easy, reliable, and powerful