Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

kyosho gs11 problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:52 PM
alan_donna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kyosho gs11 problems

just bought my first nitro car its an old kyosho outlaw with a gs11 engine, problem is the engine runs intermitently, sometimes even after several turns of the pull start no fuel is on the piston, it does leak fuel out around the pull starter and if i turn it upside down i get fuel running out of the exhaust, yet hardly any fuel in the engine? any ideas guys? has the engine had it? if so could anyone suggest a good modern replacement?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:07 PM
The_Collector

Default RE: kyosho gs11 problems

Can we see some pics? I can tell you everything you need to know about these old-school Kyosho cars.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Anthoop

I have a GS11....although it's not powerful it has always been totally reliable and easy to tune.
If it's leaking fuel around the pull-start then you need to check the rubber seal around the starter shaft.....worth sealing/replacing the backplate gasket too.
Also replace the glowplug and set the needle to around two turns out from closed.
Presume your holding your finger over the pipe outlet and then operating the pull-start to prime?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:48 AM
alan_donna

hi, thanks for both your replys, i'm not too woried the engine is not very powerfull, the fact its old and something to tinker with is more interesting at the minute, i'm putting 3 photos on i hope this helps, i have found the rear seal in the backing plate but by looking at it i cant see what it would seal though as theres a large gap in the middle, is something missing? the backplate gasket is also missing so will need replacing, as for priming please explain what you meen i pulled the pipe off the exhaust and blew through it to prime, it sent fuel through the carb ok.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54126.jpg
Views:	1468
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	898697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78653.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	898698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38128.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	898699  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:13 PM
The_Collector

That will need a new gasket set and cleaning. You have the early version of the GS11. It came standard on many of the Europe and Asia kits. Others got the O.S. CZ-R.
If you don't care about originality, you can take the valve out of the muffler. They make the engine load up at low speeds.
Close the hole with a screw and some sealant.
If the fuel tank is original, it might have 2 primers. One sends fuel to the muffler, the other forces pressure to the carb.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:28 PM
alan_donna

ok will a new gasket set cure my problems enabling the engine to run fine? fuel tank i beleive to be original but not 100% sure has one primer but sadly that no longer works, as for taking the valve out of the exhaust and making it load i'm not sure what all that meens, found the valve its easy enough to remove but could you please explain what that does to the running of the engine as i'm new to all this. thanks
Old 03-09-2008, 07:11 PM
The_Collector

That valve creates excessive backpressure and can cause the engine to go rich at idle and slow speeds. It also is restrictive by being in the exhaust path. This was not a good muffler for Kyosho to use with a car.
The gaskets will definately help an old engine. If the engine still has good enough compression, and the carb is clean, it should run.
Since the primer isn't working, eliminate it. You can use a pair of cutters and cut the top of primer button, push the remaining piece of the primer into the tank and retreive the remains through the tank's fill hole.
Same thing as the muffler. Use a screw and sealant, so there are no air leaks in the tank.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Anthoop

Good to see pictures.
As The Collector has said that's an early model,I believe the ones with the plastic backplate came with no gasket.....but yours has been leaking there...simply clean up the mating faces and apply some RTV sealant and refit (carefully use a razor blade or similar to clean the engine face (careful not to dig in) and some kind of solvent will clean the backplate).
The seal......seals around the one way bearing that is still attached to the pull-start....just check that it's not perished,still soft and it's not torn/pieces missing.
Yes your priming method of blowing down the pressure pipe is fine......blow untill fuel reaches carb.
As long as your fuel tank is sealed then you need not worry about the primer not working.
Looking at the pictures, personally I would strip the engine/carb. right down and give it a good clean and flush.....then re-oil and rebuild....you seem competant enough.....and it's fun to tinker.
My engine does not have the exhaust valve but I would imagine the thinking was to supply more back pressure at high rpm...but (as above) this will cause the engine to 'load up' with fuel at low rpm.....basically there's too much fuel in the combustion chamber to burn so it chokes.The muffler is restrictive enough without the valve, I have seen header pipes available that will fit the GS11 that will enable you to fit a tuned pipe.....that'll give you more power but it's how far you wish to go.....(again) personally I would just remove the valve as The Collector has said.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:09 AM
alan_donna

thanks guys, the engine does seem to have good compression and when it runs it runs great for a few minutes then gets very hot and cuts out, originally i thought i had a fuel blockage and stripped the carb, cylinder head and took the exhaust apart and cleaned it all up hoping this would cure it but when it ran the same i thought i had better seek help, i'm going to remove that exhaust valve and the primer from the petrol tank, and seal up around the pullstart, i'm not familiar with rtv i presume you meen instant gasket for cars? i have checked the rubber seal you mention and although it looks fine think its worth getting a new one as the pullstart is covered in fuel and thats probably where its coming from, then i will let you know how i get on, thanks again guys
Old 03-17-2008, 05:16 AM
alan_donna

thanks guys!!! i sealed my engine up last weekend removed that valve from the exhaust but instead of using screws i simply re-fitted the original shaft as the seals on it looked fine, so it still looks original but minus the valve, anyway i got it started, tuned it and its running really great now, thanks again guys. alan
Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
The_Collector

Good to hear it's running for you! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

i have the same motor and im trying to tune it up. i have a brand new os max 40 airplane motor im thinking of putting that on the car since the gs11 is a plane motor any how... does yours have a fan in front of it to?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:17 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GX11 is a car engine with a heat sink, it can run without a fan. It is also a small block, designed for a car. Your OS 40 is a plane engine, which will over heat VERY quickly without a prop blowing on it, it will also be hard to cram it in a car. This thread is also 3 years old.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

my plane motor has a huge heat sink on it, and my car has a fan that is run by the motor that blows on the motor,just like the prop would if it was on a plane and it dont matter how old the thread is,
Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 PM
proanti1

Plane motors have very small heat sinks, if it has a large heat sink it could be a heli motor. Well cant hurt to try it out, post pictures.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Anthoop

ORIGINAL: Devils-Reject
i have the same motor and im trying to tune it up.
Do you mean modify it or make it run correctly?

my plane motor has a huge heat sink on it, and my car has a fan that is run by the motor that blows on the motor,just like the prop would if it was on a plane and it dont matter how old the thread is,
My GS11 does not have a fan on the front of it, would be interesting to see pictures of yours. What car is it on?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:20 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

i have the same motor and im trying to tune it up.
Do you mean modify it or make it run correctly?

My GS11 does not have a fan on the front of it, would be interesting to see pictures of yours. What car is it on?

They got fans when they were fitted to nitro blizzards.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Anthoop

ORIGINAL: 378
They got fans when they were fitted to nitro blizzards.
Ah excellent, found a picture.

Name:	Db84507.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1553003  
Old 01-25-2011, 03:34 PM
proanti1

There was also a rally/touring car that had a fan, but I think it had a bigger engine than a GS11.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:41 AM
macumlad

I wish I could get hold of a starter assy for this engine. Mine had the electric starting motor with the plastic housing but it no longer works. I believe it is the GS 15R engine?........any replies would be most appreciated. [email protected]
Old 11-09-2016, 06:15 AM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by alan_donna
just bought my first nitro car its an old kyosho outlaw with a gs11 engine, problem is the engine runs intermitently, sometimes even after several turns of the pull start no fuel is on the piston, it does leak fuel out around the pull starter and if i turn it upside down i get fuel running out of the exhaust, yet hardly any fuel in the engine? any ideas guys? has the engine had it? if so could anyone suggest a good modern replacement?
Its hard to diagnose the engine problems by the little info!
Have you done anything to the car ,other than trying to start it?
If the car sat for a long time ,then the engine & carb would have to be cleaned .
The fuel tank will have to be cleaned because it has an internal filter ,an fuel lines
should be replaced!..
Old 11-09-2016, 07:38 AM
macumlad

Could anyone please help to identify this little gem, I believe it may be a GS 15R engine?

I have recently been given an old monster truck with this engine powering it, however the electric starter is completely missing so I need to convert it to a pull start.

Does anyone know where I could source a pull starter please, I think I will also require some kind of back plate as I assume the plastic cover as in the pictures in now useless.

Any ideas of where I could source these parts would be amazing thanks.

Name:	DSC06588.JPG
Views:	4337
Size:	4.22 MB
ID:	2189505   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06589.JPG
Views:	4059
Size:	4.25 MB
ID:	2189506   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06585.JPG
Views:	3444
Size:	4.25 MB
ID:	2189507   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06593.JPG
Views:	3768
Size:	4.35 MB
ID:	2189508   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06594.JPG
Views:	3708
Size:	4.38 MB
ID:	2189509  
Old 11-09-2016, 12:43 PM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by macumlad

Could anyone please help to identify this little gem, I believe it may be a GS 15R engine?

I have recently been given an old monster truck with this engine powering it, however the electric starter is completely missing so I need to convert it to a pull start.

Does anyone know where I could source a pull starter please, I think I will also require some kind of back plate as I assume the plastic cover as in the pictures in now useless.

Any ideas of where I could source these parts would be amazing thanks.
I'm sorry ,my bad on my post earlier ,my pc is herky jerky on this forum!

Does that have an original pullstart backplate?
If it does ,I found this on ebay that might work if you have the backplate for it!

Its for the Kyosho GX 12/15 size engine.