Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

O.S. .12 CV-R

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:25 PM
ThorMoto5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. .12 CV-R

New to the site....just bought an O.S. .12 CV-R Engine brand new off of a guy for $50 (worth $180 on Tower Hobbies.com) Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this engine and how it performs. I know that O.S. has a great reputation for building quality engines. It will be going into an AE RC10 GT RTR Plus, replacing the stock unit. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 PM
HeLLsGoD

Default RE: O.S. .12 CV-R

why dont you pop it in and find out you wont be dissapointed for a small powerhouse
Old 06-18-2007, 08:36 PM
ThorMoto5

haha im going to as soon as i get my starter box back together (I need to solder one of the battery connector wires back onto the motor) I cant wait tho!! Gettin the GT ready to race!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:26 AM
ThorMoto5

Has any one else had experience with this engine??
Old 06-20-2007, 02:47 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ThorMoto5

Has any one else had experience with this engine??
It's probably only the most popular motor ever built for a 1/10 gas truck. Does that answer your question?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:28 AM
rezenclowd3

Agreed. It is an awesome motor for Stadium Trucks. I want another but can not find one....I bought mine new for $109 then the price went up. Now the OS .12 TG is $150, and for $30 more I can get a nice Novarossi.....arg. I am not sure what to do. Now only if I can get an RB .12 for my AD2....
Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 AM
ThorMoto5

Thanks guys....glad I made a lucky purchase w/o knowing much about the engine!!! now all thats left is to see it for myself
Old 06-21-2007, 08:33 AM
HeLLsGoD

Heres a clip of my OS .15 CV-R on my onroader which is pretty much the same engine, not much difference in power:

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX7FuDhxnK4[/link]

Took the video with my phone on one hand and the controller on the other so its not really a good clip. It could do alot better on take off than what you see on the clip
Old 06-21-2007, 10:59 AM
ThorMoto5

I am going from a rotary carb on the AE .15 to a slide carb on the O.S.....what will i need to change on my servo to make this work? Any other installation tips I should know about?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 PM
HeLLsGoD

umm im not too sure if the AE .15 slide carb will fit, measure the carbs neck diameter it should be 10mm(ill double check when i get home). If it is then it will fit straight in.

I changed mine to a hpi composite carb, the standard OS carb is aluminium and they heat up quickly along with the nitro fuel with it giving you a inconsistant tune at different heat ranges. Also OS carbs only uses single o-ring for sealing the carb to the crank, most carbs these days use dual o-rings

As for the servo, you do not need to buy a new servo. You just need to purchase a new servo horn that uses a slide carb setup. Im not sure what the part # is for your car but im sure someone here knows
Old 06-21-2007, 09:22 PM
gooycheese

Hi all,

Would anyone know mins and maximums for engine temp for the OS CV-R .12 ???

Paul
Old 06-21-2007, 09:31 PM
HeLLsGoD

Sorry but theres too many variables that can change a temperature reading but I do get an average of 220ish at idle and warm up. It usually gets up to 250-260deg after a good tank of throttling. Thats without the body on, about 20deg warmer with the body on
Old 06-21-2007, 09:43 PM
gooycheese

The reason I ask is I am running a OS CV-R .12 in a (A Class Hydro) boat. I have cut 6 of the 9 cooling fins off so I can actually build temp. I Don't think I have ever broke 250 degrees yet, I have seen almost 230 degrees. I figure this will really get you talking, I am running 50% nitro in this engine and it loves it. So far this boat has a top speed of 47mph which really isn't that fast I have been considering getting a OS TZ .12 for more power. Is there anything I can do to this engine to get more power?

Thanks,

Paul

I am sorry if I am a little off topic with a boat, but the engine is a car engine and there is no better people to ask questions about car engines than car guys
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16276.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	708555  
Old 06-21-2007, 11:41 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most .12's I've run really don't like it very hot. For most of us who run 1/10 gas truck the CV-R's and TR's we ran right around 200 with great success. Any leaner and they just got hot without making any more power. My TR would actually start to lean bog if I leaned it past 220 on an average day. For your's, I wouldn't go any hotter. For more performance there's not really anything more you could do other than maybe a front intake (escape the heat of the engine and a little ram-air effect) or modding it. Raising the exhaust timing would really help out since the motor is designed for a flat powerband. It has great torque but doesn't really scream on the top end. If you're going for a new motor there are a bunch of more onroad based .12's that will blow the doors (or floats!) off of that CV-R like a JL Red Dot, Orion CRF Rev, Axial .12RR and others. They're all rated in the 40k+ rpm range and would be real screamers.

Just to add to your comment fishing statement: I don't care how much nitro you run. Properly shimmed and plugged most engines can take a lot of nitro. I'll bet it would be a dog on 20%.