Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

WD-40 for cleaning engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:45 PM
nano__

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WD-40 for cleaning engine?

Is using WD-40 on a nitro RC-car engine a bad or good thing?

My friends will usually at first run the engine completely empty, then spray quite a bit of WD-40 directly into the cab while turning the motor for some time. I have heard a lot of different things about WD-40 -- how some people say you should use it for certain things, while others say the direct opposite, that you shouldn't use it, e.g. to clean a motorcycle chain.

Should I do this to my engine?

And question two:

Does it hurt the engine if it is operated normally, then the engine is killed by blocking the exhaust; then letting the car rest for a few months, with the fuel tank half full?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
SManMTB

Default RE: WD-40 for cleaning engine?

WD-40 is safe. I've been using it for years but I usuallyt put some ATF oil in the engine afterwards. I mainly use WD-40 when I take the engine apart and clean or mod it.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:04 PM
SManMTB

Forgot your second question.

I've been slacking off in the maintenance department a bit to. Some timne ago I pulled out a car from 'storage' (it hadn't been run for months) where I had done just that. I though I'd screwed up the engine by neglecting it so I broke it down to check it. To my surprize it looked great inside. I used 30% TQ in that one and no harm done. Usually this is not a good idea.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:14 PM
lsurber

I use WD-40 in the same manner as your friend does.........works great and doesn't get gummy like castor after-run oil does if left for long periods. I do not, however, leave fuel in the tank while in storage. I actually use a ton of WD-40 on my models! I used to clean the model with alcohol but that gets expensive. Now my cleaning steps are air nozzle, 409 w/brush, rinse w/H2O, dry w/air nozzle, spray all metal with silicone, and finally spray all bearings and carb with WD-40. I then put the drill starter on it for a couple turns, wipe it down with a cloth, and put it up.

When I fire the engine it generally take about 20 seconds before the WD-40 cleans out and normal engine operation resumes. WD-40 is simply the best low cost lube for bearings. The only thing that beats it is TRI-FLOW lube which is expensive and really not needed.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 PM
nano__

ORIGINAL: lsurber

I use WD-40 in the same manner as your friend does.........works great and doesn't get gummy like castor after-run oil does if left for long periods. I do not, however, leave fuel in the tank while in storage. I actually use a ton of WD-40 on my models! I used to clean the model with alcohol but that gets expensive. Now my cleaning steps are air nozzle, 409 w/brush, rinse w/H2O, dry w/air nozzle, spray all metal with silicone, and finally spray all bearings and carb with WD-40. I then put the drill starter on it for a couple turns, wipe it down with a cloth, and put it up.

When I fire the engine it generally take about 20 seconds before the WD-40 cleans out and normal engine operation resumes. WD-40 is simply the best low cost lube for bearings. The only thing that beats it is TRI-FLOW lube which is expensive and really not needed.
Are you so sure WD-40 is good for bearings? I just read an article about using WD-40 on a motorcyle chain, which had some different things to say about the issue. In the article there was a picture of a bearing which had been destroyed by the use of WD-40.
I will try and find that article soon and post it here.

Here it is: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/
Old 07-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Kemo

wd40 is a horrible lubricant.

Never use on bearings, it removes the grease
Old 07-10-2007, 06:48 PM
nano__

ORIGINAL: Kemo

wd40 is a horrible lubricant.

Never use on bearings, it removes the grease
Exactly.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:15 PM
LOOKIN

WD 40 (Water Displacement 40th try) removes the water to aid in rust prevention, (rust is also a horrible lubricant) then lube stuff.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:21 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WD-40 often gets called a lubricant because it frees up parts. It is not however a lubricant and its not a good idea to use it as one with fast moving parts.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: GRANT ED

WD-40 often gets called a lubricant because it frees up parts. It is not however a lubricant and its not a good idea to use it as one with fast moving parts.

wd-40 is called a lubricant because its advertised a lubricant:

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_product_info.html
Old 07-11-2007, 02:30 PM
SManMTB

WD-40 and duct tape will take you through the day.
There is nothing wrong with using WD-40 in your engine. Juat combine it with some light oil and you're good to go, seriously.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:40 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

what LOOKIN said. the only good thing is that it displaces moisture in a nitro engine which is a culprit of the nitro fuel sittin in the engine. but it doesnt actually lube anything.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:10 PM
iexion

it was said that WD-40 also contains micro bits of sand... I only use it on the outside of my engine and just use afterrun oil to clean the inside
Old 07-11-2007, 03:13 PM
SManMTB

Dude. Sand... LOL

Who told you that and what is his source? It doesn't contain any abraisives.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:12 PM
nano__

So WD-40 is great for what it is made for -- removing water -- but as a side effect it also removes other types of lubrication, which should not be removed in the process.

So using WD-40, wiping it off to clean the device, then reapplying the lubricant is a good thing?

1. Glow and turn the engine over until it is completely empty.
2. Spray WD-40 into the engine, turn it around.
3. Put oil into the engine and turn it around.

Is this correct? If so, which oil should one use after using WD-40? What is it called and where can I get it?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:21 PM
SManMTB

Some regular ATF oil works well. Been using it for yerars. (ATF oil = Automatic Transmission Fluid)
Old 07-11-2007, 07:11 PM
subbass
My Feedback: (13)

The only thing I use wd40 for is rusted bolts,Other than that its junk.Your engine is not being lubed until fuel reaches it.
I use marval mystery oil,It will not gum up and has very good lub properties.Why risk damage to save a couple bucks on
cheap oil?,By the way marval oil is only $3 a quart will last for years.One more thing never use the carb to put any type
of oil into the engine it may attack seals,Just use the glow plug hole,Because all you really want to lube is the rear bearing and
piston and sleeve,conrod.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:45 PM
lsurber

I use wd-40 because by comparrison it offers the least resistance which means better acceleration. Have measured friction in just about every type of lubricant there is and only tri-flow works better on bearings. Just use 2 timing marks and a known mass to get acceleration!!!!! You can see for yourself which is best! Of course, being light weight, it doesn't last long and does decrease bearing life if you don't perform routine maintenance!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:06 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to do some reading, just for *&%#'s and giggles, go to the "Glow Engines" (airplane ) forum and search After Run Oil, and WD40 or WD-40
Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 PM
subbass

ORIGINAL: lsurber

I use wd-40 because by comparrison it offers the least resistance which means better acceleration. Have measured friction in just about every type of lubricant there is and only tri-flow works better on bearings. Just use 2 timing marks and a known mass to get acceleration!!!!! You can see for yourself which is best! Of course, being light weight, it doesn't last long and does decrease bearing life if you don't perform routine maintenance!
You get what you pay for.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:31 PM
SManMTB

I know WD-40 is not perfect but combined with ATF oil it's good.
When racing RC boats WD-40 was the key to make anything last and it makes sense doesn't it?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 AM
subbass

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

When racing RC boats WD-40 was the key to make anything last and it makes sense doesn't it?
It makes more sense spending a couple more dollars for good oil.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 AM
HeLLsGoD

Ive read somewhere in the HPI website, WD40 only displaces moisture doesnt absorb it like proper oil. After-run oil is cheaper than WD40 anyway so might aswell go with the proper oil.

Random Fact: WD40 stands for Water Displacer and the number 40 cause they took that many tries to get the mixture right.

As for lubrication, wd40 is a good lubricant, it just doesnt last very long cause its very thin and runny. I use it on my clutchbell bearings and it can freespin the clutchbell for about 1 minute straight with barely any friction or resistance(Only good for about 1 week and another treatment of WD40, make sure you clean the outside of the bearings so it doesnt go on the clutch)

Water would be a good lubricant too, if it didnt rust things up.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:05 AM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: subbass

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

It makes more sense spending a couple more dollars for good oil.
Are you not listening? I said WD-40 + oil.
WD-40 was great taking out all moisture after a race and then the oil did the rest.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:07 AM
SManMTB

WD40 only displaces moisture doesnt absorb it like proper oil.
Water and oil don't mix.

Displacing mousture means it absorbs the moisture (displaces it from material) and then you flush out the WD-40 with something else and the moisture is gone.

Water is a terrible lubricant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.