Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

twin engins

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:20 PM
.:FearLess:.rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin engins

hi i am kinda new here. well i have look on here and didnt see anyone tryed to but tiwn engines on nitro cars or trucks? i have seen it on youtube. just wanted know how you would do it.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:35 AM
NikolayTT

Default RE: twin engins

On airplanes one puts two engines to have better propeller efficiency for example and at the
end has more problems than benefits. Why should you do that in the car ?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:19 PM
.:FearLess:.rc

just for a hell of it. for fun.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:52 PM
NikolayTT

Why then only two ? - If you really want hell of fun, then put on each axe one engine, with gearbox of course, and have a look and
fun, maybe ... Especially it would look very ...???... on 8 wheels truck.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
R/Cpullerdude

Many pullers are running twin .21's. There are like three people from the Canada/New York area running a few of these each.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:49 PM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

few people do it because nobody needs that much more power, the mechanics are extremely comlicated and you can just get one modded super powerful engine for the price of the conversion, and have less trouble tuning
Old 08-20-2007, 05:49 PM
jatoracing33

i saw a twin engine on a tmaxx...all the guy did was move the gas tank and put another engine in its place. then of course he added another gas tank for the 2nd engine...the wer os .18 either tz or tm's
Old 08-20-2007, 06:16 PM
rcnitrohead

There was a 10 page thread about a guy who built a 3 engine T-maxx. Thats three XTM 24.7's making a total of 7+ claimed hp! His name was madscientist (or something like that). But I say for the hell of it, why hasnt someone built a 1/6-1/8 scale model v8 or v6 engine yet?!? Ive seen many scale vehicles, but most are battery powered[:'(] When I'm older and when I buy myself milling equipment, I really want to build a 1/6 scale vehicle with a either a flathead or v6-v8 engine. I have seen 1/4 models of them but they are really large and it pumps the price of everything up (around $4,000+ per engine, $13,000 for a car equipped with a 1/4 scale v8) My dream rc would be a have a 6 to 8 cylinder 4 stroke thats fully functional. At least a 4 gear gearbox, even though its scale, I'd want it to move, at least 70+mph. Of course with lights, remote start and kill, 4 wheel mechanical braking. The car would be like a real car which means the chassis would be sealed, no worries about rain or snow getting anywhere, internal fans and watercooled engine. Now thats a project I definitely want to do[8D] Tom.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:09 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: .:FearLess:.rc

hi i am kinda new here. well i have look on here and didnt see anyone tryed to but tiwn engines on nitro cars or trucks? i have seen it on youtube. just wanted know how you would do it.
Here is a few pics of my twin engine Savage, it pulls like a champ!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48292.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	745934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53837.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	745935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15045.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	745936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14381.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	745937  
Old 08-20-2007, 07:38 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: .:FearLess:.rc

Here is a few pics of my twin engine Savage, it pulls like a champ!

I bete thats a wheelie monster

don't you think you should move the air filter out from in front of the cooling head?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:51 PM
mtbkym01

Kyosho had a version of their Giga Crusher with 2 engines (saw it advertised in Aust Mag at 1 stage), but I think it has been discontinued.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:30 PM
supermod

holy crapzilla jimthat is some power therethats got to be 1 of the fastest savages in the world!twin axial .28rrs with jp-2 pipes thats a killer combo.good work!!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 04:05 AM
ttoks

i'v seen pullers running up to 5 engines, one running twin O.S wankle plane engines (also seen a model of a mazda RK7 running twin wankles) and one running a jet engine mechanically driving the wheels, jim thats a nice looking savage that.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:36 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: ttoks

i'v seen pullers running up to 5 engines, one running twin O.S wankle plane engines (also seen a model of a mazda RK7 running twin wankles) and one running a jet engine mechanically driving the wheels, jim thats a nice looking savage that.
Thanks, I had it as a shelf queen with 2 K4.6 engines for a couple of years. I decided to take it down, mod the chassis to mount the Axials, and actually make it drivable.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:42 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: JB COMP

I bete thats a wheelie monster

don't you think you should move the air filter out from in front of the cooling head?
Oh yeah! Wheelies are possible not just from standstill, but even on second gear or low speed third gear!

As for the filters, the really do not affect air flow through the fins, the filters only obstruct the top fin. Additionally, at speed, I count on the eddy currents (turbulence) caused by the filters to cause a swirl flow of cooling air above the top fins to help with cooling. This was not the original intent, but after thinking about air flow one night, I realized that this actually helps cooling at speed.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 AM
cossack71

There is a conversion kit you can buy for the Savage called Twinzilla by Hot Bodies.
Not cheap.
But it's more for torque then for speed. And from what I have read from the people that have done it, is that it's hard to tune the motors.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:53 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: supermod

holy crapzilla jimthat is some power therethats got to be 1 of the fastest savages in the world!twin axial .28rrs with jp-2 pipes thats a killer combo.good work!!!!
I have only done some moderate bashing and some light jumps with it, I have not yet tried any full out top speed runs.

Sooner or later, I will give speed passes a try, I first want to acquire a laser speed trap to properly clock it. I have a Bushnell, but as with al radar, I run the risk of clocking the wheels and getting really stupid numbers like 100+ MPH!

I also currently only have 20T HPI CBs; I want to acquire CBs with more teeth. I am thinking about Axial 22T CBs. If I can make it wourk, I will also consider CEN 24T CBs. The spur I have is a 47T and there is a 46T spur available. I want to go crazy and see if they have one like 44T, but I doubt such a spur for Savages exist.

Additionally, for speed passes, I want on road tires with no less than 6in diameter. So far, I have seen only 5.75in as the largest on-road 40-series tires. I really need the 6in to help achive top speeds; I am not worried about the loss of torque since I have two engines.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:35 AM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Oh yeah! Wheelies are possible not just from standstill, but even on second gear or low speed third gear!

As for the filters, the really do not affect air flow through the fins, the filters only obstruct the top fin. Additionally, at speed, I count on the eddy currents (turbulence) caused by the filters to cause a swirl flow of cooling air above the top fins to help with cooling. This was not the original intent, but after thinking about air flow one night, I realized that this actually helps cooling at speed.

yeh. I have I jammin two stage filter on both my buggy and my truggy and the filter block half the head, so I got a "S" tube and not over 80% of the head is showing. So I should be getting over 30% more air flow
Old 08-21-2007, 12:30 PM
VIPER458

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

There was a 10 page thread about a guy who built a 3 engine T-maxx. Thats three XTM 24.7's making a total of 7+ claimed hp! His name was madscientist (or something like that). But I say for the hell of it, why hasnt someone built a 1/6-1/8 scale model v8 or v6 engine yet?!? Ive seen many scale vehicles, but most are battery powered[:'(] When I'm older and when I buy myself milling equipment, I really want to build a 1/6 scale vehicle with a either a flathead or v6-v8 engine. I have seen 1/4 models of them but they are really large and it pumps the price of everything up (around $4,000+ per engine, $13,000 for a car equipped with a 1/4 scale v8) My dream rc would be a have a 6 to 8 cylinder 4 stroke thats fully functional. At least a 4 gear gearbox, even though its scale, I'd want it to move, at least 70+mph. Of course with lights, remote start and kill, 4 wheel mechanical braking. The car would be like a real car which means the chassis would be sealed, no worries about rain or snow getting anywhere, internal fans and watercooled engine. Now thats a project I definitely want to do[8D] Tom.
i once saw a video of a guy who made a 1/4 scale ferrari. it had a scale engine and gearbox and everything. it took him like 10 years or something to make. it really was amazing tho.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:03 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: cossack71

There is a conversion kit you can buy for the Savage called Twinzilla by Hot Bodies.
Not cheap.
But it's more for torque then for speed. And from what I have read from the people that have done it, is that it's hard to tune the motors.
Sadly, the Hot Bodies from what I last heard, is discontinuing the TwinZilla. I perfer the Twinzilla because it is an HPI product (HPI owns HB) and all the parts are metric. The twin engine kit I have is the New Era Models, and what I absolutely hate is that it uses Imperial (inches) for its parts. One of the things I did to convert the New Era kit to full running status is to make every thing metric; that is I retapped all the screw holes for metric and discarded the Imperial screws and bolts.

As for tuning the twin engines, they are surprisingly easy to tune. Even if one is slightly tuned better than the other, they still work great in tandem. As for tuning them, all I really have to do is make sure they have the same tones when running and they sound wicked together!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:23 PM
cossack71

Yes, I heard that also, not enough sales to warrant keeping it.
It was a very complete kit, including the second engine (which I though was a little strange being that it was a .46 and they just came out with the .46 Savage)
Shame, there are so many one off RC items that they drop from production that are so cool (the Blizzard for one)
Old 08-21-2007, 09:27 PM
rcnitrohead

Yeah Viper, I saw that video too. I would love to build something like that, doesnt need to be that detailed but it certainly is a work of art. Hey Jim, I was thinking about your on road tire problem, and I thought of XTM Velos! They are around 7" so they should work perfectly for your project!

"These tires are designed to fit the large series wheels from XTM, or Hot Bodies, measuring 4 1/2 inches in diameter. These Velos tire size measures 6 3/4 inches in diameter" -Hobbypeople.net
Old 08-22-2007, 12:58 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: cossack71

Yes, I heard that also, not enough sales to warrant keeping it.
It was a very complete kit, including the second engine (which I though was a little strange being that it was a .46 and they just came out with the .46 Savage)
Shame, there are so many one off RC items that they drop from production that are so cool (the Blizzard for one)
I agree it is a shame. I would have got the TwinZilla kit if it were just the TVPs and twin engine plate and mounts. Unfortunately, it came with the crappy .26ci HB engines. I dont mid the HB truckzilla wheels, they look cool, but I was going to get bead locks anyways.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:33 PM
main_event

Do a search of RC tractor pulling or RC pulling and you will see some crazy nitros, 5 or 6 nitro engines on one car, even a nitro with twin wankels, and a jet engine puller too!

There are some crazy things out there if you know where to look. Kinda make the whole, twin engine things seem a bit dull!

Although that twin engine Savage looks SWEET!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:50 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Thanks! I first saw a nitro multu-engine puller in an RC mag and I was hooked onto nitro! That multi-engine puller is what got me to take the plunge into the hobby and I started off directly into nitro!

Ever since I have been in RC, I have always had dreams of building a multi-engine pulling rig. Maybe if I can come across a fair bit of money, I will begin to draw up plans for parts to build into an 8 engine (or more!) pulling rig.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.