Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

AWW shoot i messed up big time Help???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:29 PM
jeffmiz
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWW shoot i messed up big time Help???

Ok well i have a O.S. 18tm engine on my revo but i decided to take a look under the cooling head B/C i was curious on how it was doing
and then i tried to loosen the top allen screws and then i stripped the top of the allen screw (were the allen wrench goes in)
has anyone have a sugestion how to take it out???? so now it is kinda loose and will loose compression???
Old 10-07-2007, 11:59 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: AWW shoot i messed up big time Help???

You will have to sacrifice your heatsink head, there is no other way around it. This is what you must do: get a hacksaw and a hobby vise with rubber pads to hold the engine block. With the saw, cut the head just above the scre. Now, get a power drill with a metal drill bit or a dremel and cut carfully around the stripped screw to whwere you can use pliers to grip the hex hed screw and loosen it. Be carful with this procedure; you could destroy the entire engine, not just the heatsink.

You must not buy a new heatsink and hex screw. Sorry I cannot think of any other method. I had to do this same procedure when I did teh same thing.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 AM
jeffmiz
Banned

AWE jeezz ok thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 01:23 AM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO NO NO Man just drill it out a little bigger and then get a bit driver that is smaller then the hole and hammer in the bit it will fit in the hole really tight and then spray it with break freee or WD 40. And then use the driver you know like a screw driver but you can put diffrent bit's in the end of it of course that's where you would get the bit from. Okay now turn it just little tighter and then go to turn it loose and you should have it out no problem . If it does not come out then tap it in there again and try it over, At the most you will wreck and bit and the allen head screw more . I have done this on many of times with great out come. So give it a try and if it does not work then go the other route. I am not saying that the other idea in wrong or bad. it will work too. But my father always said why work hard when you can work smart. Give it a try and see what happens.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:45 AM
adz06

why dont you just drill it and the head will break of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 then use pliers to unscrew whats left from the crankcase happens me all the time.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:40 AM
The Winner

i have the same problem with my kyosho gx-21!and i cut the head! yesterday my heart pulse goes at 100% beacause i strip the screws from my lrp! but then i try with a hudy alen and they are come off!so ry the best allen because a cheap allen strip your screws or the allen strip and you think that the screw was striped!try with a new beter allen!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:51 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

adz has the easiest method...just drill the bolt's head off (just like removing a rivet ) Use a 1/8" or 5/32" drill bit and the bolt's head should just pop off, then the heat sink will come off and you can grab what's left of the bolt w/ vice grips and un-screw it.

Just take it slow and easy...don't force the drill in because if you break the tip off the (extremely hard ) drill bit in the screw head, you'll really be "screwed" (or, bolted?)
Old 10-08-2007, 08:33 AM
lsurber

Find a hex wrench that just barely won't fit, heat the screw directly with a torch, tap the hex wrench into the socket, then remove quickly before it cools down!

A trick is to always apply heat with a torch before removing loctited metal to metal screws!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:36 AM
jeffmiz
Banned

OKay ISURBER sounds like it would be easiest i will try your way and iff that dosnt work i will try adz thanks alot for all the help from everyone
Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

You will have to sacrifice your heatsink head, there is no other way around it. This is what you must do: get a hacksaw and a hobby vise with rubber pads to hold the engine block. With the saw, cut the head just above the scre. Now, get a power drill with a metal drill bit or a dremel and cut carfully around the stripped screw to whwere you can use pliers to grip the hex hed screw and loosen it. Be carful with this procedure; you could destroy the entire engine, not just the heatsink.

You must not buy a new heatsink and hex screw. Sorry I cannot think of any other method. I had to do this same procedure when I did teh same thing.

Wow Jim, you usually give great advice but that is kinda extreme right there.
I'd sure try drilling off the screw head first before I'd even consider taking a hacksaw to the cooling head.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:11 PM
jeffmiz
Banned

WEll i got it off YAAA!!!! I drilled th top of the screw off and got it out
on the inside of the TM was some black oil residue left from the traxxas fuel what is a good fuel that dosnt leave oil residue
Old 10-08-2007, 02:15 PM
adz06

o yeah i was right (dances around the room) o well someone once give me that advice just passing it on. glad you got it sorted with a cost of a screw
Old 10-08-2007, 09:18 PM
jeffmiz
Banned

Ok i sure will pass it on and thanks alot i didnt have to go get a screw though i had won on a other bad engine