Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Increasing power

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Cypriot Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increasing power

I have a 12 size SH and would like to squize out some more power. if a remove the shim it has on the turbo plate will i get more power?? I run 16% Tornato fuel.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:00 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Default RE: Increasing power

I do not know if this will help. You can experiment by removing one of the shims yourself to try, but if the engine uns like crap, or worse, runs away at idle, immediately stop the engine and return the shim.

Before you do anything like this, try a different fuel like O'Donnels or Byrons, 30%. The fuel in itself could help your engine run better and answer more crisply at the trigger pull. Also, try a meduim to cold plug. Tune you engine to run on this fuel and plug and see of you engine runs better.

Additionally, get a good in-line exhaust system for your engine. Find out if this engine is a low RPM torque producer, miid-range RPM moderate running engine, or an all out high RPM racer. Choose a manifold and pipe to exploit whichever your engine is.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Cypriot Boy

Thanks savagejim for the fuel tip but i am racing and i am not allowed to run 30% only 16%. as for the fuel brant its good many people use it at my track and it is also the one supported from my LHS.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:42 AM
SManMTB

More compression gives more power given that everything is tuned and adjusted correct. I take it you're running a ROAR legal 3 port .12 and changing compression is the only real thing you can do to get more power.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Cypriot Boy

Yes. so as i can understand i should do it to get that extra power. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:52 AM
SManMTB

That's the only ting you can do. You might need a colder plug if it fouls easily with your new higher compression.
Compression ratios of 9.5:1 up to 10:1 should be no problem to run.

If you need to machine your head I can say that a flat squish band (as in 0 deg angle) gives the most power but the engine will be a bit finicky to tune. A good compromise is to have the outer half flat and then angle the remaining part closest to the bowl at 1 deg or so.