Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

First time porting.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 AM
ch_mayday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First time porting.

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Danju

ya i guess it looks pretty nice...next time, i would point the "fangs" tilting more away from the exhoust port..meaning it should have more angle instead of pointing vertical...btw, i believe JB Comp and SavageJim are really good at doing this stuff..fyi
Thanks for the recognitions, we (or at least I) basically gleaned our knowledge from these foums. I also learned from looking at RC mags and viewung dozens of sleeves modded by pofessional modders.

Other modders on here who have very nice works are ABmods, Supertib, and several more that slip my memory. These guys will mod sleeves and engines as a service, and they too have contributed alot to furthering educating the rest of us on how to mod engines. I highly suggest seeking out their modding trheads to further learn which mods contribute best fo which sleeve pot configurtions, timing profiles, and the specific engines as a whole.

So what do you think of my first porting?
Next step is to take some more of the sleeve(not touching port sizes), knife-edge the con.rod, smothen the intake in the crank(without changing timing), put silicone in the intake to get a nice smooth flow and then bell-shape the backplate of the crank and make 2-3 channels on it like seen in soo many pics.

That is about all I can do myself I guess.

When this engine is worn out, instead of changing piston, sleeve etc, I'll get either a Picco P3 28 ABmodded to stage2 or a RB TM928(No mods).
Old 03-25-2008, 08:51 AM
JB COMP

ya i guess it looks pretty nice...next time, i would point the "fangs" tilting more away from the exhoust port..meaning it should have more angle instead of pointing vertical...btw, i believe JB Comp and SavageJim are really good at doing this stuff..fyi
Thanks for the recognitions, we (or at least I) basically gleaned our knowledge from these foums. I also learned from looking at RC mags and viewung dozens of sleeves modded by pofessional modders.

Other modders on here who have very nice works are ABmods, Supertib, and several more that slip my memory. These guys will mod sleeves and engines as a service, and they too have contributed alot to furthering educating the rest of us on how to mod engines. I highly suggest seeking out their modding trheads to further learn which mods contribute best fo which sleeve pot configurtions, timing profiles, and the specific engines as a whole.

Adam and supertib know their stuff, but not really into helping others.

I read some where that when you cut your turbo cuts in the crank you should not cut them into the trailing edge on the counter weight. I think if you cut in trailing edge of the counter weight the crank will have more vibration. (Savagejim can you back this up?)

I'm starting to get into timing (actually doing it now) I have a degree wheel and have my files on order. (Savagejim can you E-mail me I have a few questions for you)
Old 03-25-2008, 09:17 AM
ch_mayday

ORIGINAL: JB COMP

I read some where that when you cut your turbo cuts in the crank you should not cut them into the trailing edge on the counter weight. I think if you cut in trailing edge of the counter weight the crank will have more vibration. (Savagejim can you back this up?)

I'm starting to get into timing (actually doing it now) I have a degree wheel and have my files on order. (Savagejim can you E-mail me I have a few questions for you)
Got the advice not to polish the areas where I've cut, not on the crank and not on the sleeve, the reason for this would be that drops of fuel would stick to a polished surface...any truth to this?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 AM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: ch_mayday

Got the advice not to polish the areas where I've cut, not on the crank and not on the sleeve, the reason for this would be that drops of fuel would stick to a polished surface...any truth to this?
I've heard of it. I don't put a mirror finish on my stuff, just get it smooth. Look in the "car action how to port a engine" thread and you'll see some of my work.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:45 AM
ch_mayday

I've heard of it. I don't put a mirror finish on my stuff, just get it smooth. Look in the "car action how to port a engine" thread and you'll see some of my work.
Ok, LOL I think I've read every thread on porting on rcubiverse AND saved all the pics on my PC to study them.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 AM
JB COMP

Good.

I can't wait to get my files so I can start modding again, I have 4 or 5 engines right now that aren't modded then after those I have to find more engine.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 AM
ch_mayday

Good.

I can't wait to get my files so I can start modding again, I have 4 or 5 engines right now that aren't modded then after those I have to find more engine.

I'm bidding on a really nice tungsten carbide cutter for my dremel on ebay now, hope I'll get it.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 AM
JB COMP

That reminds me I need to get a carbide cutter for my dremel (I don't want to do the crank by hand)
Old 03-25-2008, 12:01 PM
psiturbo

Make some ports on the top button pointing away from the exhaust port. I have done it on my HPi T-15, Sportwerks .26 and in the O.S. RG .21; runs cooler and with more top end.

Let me see if I can post some pics today...
Old 03-25-2008, 12:30 PM
ch_mayday

ORIGINAL: psiturbo

Make some ports on the top button pointing away from the exhaust port. I have done it on my HPi T-15, Sportwerks .26 and in the O.S. RG .21; runs cooler and with more top end.

Let me see if I can post some pics today...
Please do, I'd like to see how you did it.
Thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 12:35 PM
JB COMP

Doing that will lose compression. I've done that mod before, not worth.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:51 PM
ch_mayday

Ok, even if you make them small? I've heard they don't need to be wide or deep...
Old 03-25-2008, 12:57 PM
JB COMP

Ok, even if you make them small? I've heard they don't need to be wide or deep...
They weren't very deep, but thats compressing space you're losing and if you're modding timing, you want don't want to lose that space. Because when you mod timing you will lose some space too. You can do it if you want, but IMO its not worth doing.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:00 PM
ch_mayday

They weren't very deep, but thats compressing space you're losing and if you're modding timing, you want don't want to lose that space. Because when you mod timing you will lose some space too. You can do it if you want, but IMO its not worth doing.
I wont be doing any work on the timing, but just the same I wont do that mod.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 PM
psiturbo

I have done this mod on all my engines, they go gallon after gallon running smooth. Of course it lowers the compression, but its nothing.
The mod is very silly, its a tiny bit, nothing extraordinary, just enough to channel a sip of fuel straight to the center of the button where the glow plug is...

I do the 3-channel port, I just got back from work, somewhat tired, promise will send the pics.

The mod has been dyno proven to work!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:50 AM
ch_mayday

Take a look at the link, it's a comparison between JP top of the line enginge vs stock engine, I think you'll find it intresting...

[link=http://www.bebo.com/Link.jsp?Url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yome3000.com%2Fforum s-lire.php%3Fid%3D3245%26f%3D5]Check this out...[/link]
Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 PM
ch_mayday

What type of silicone should I use for the intake on the crank? A link to ebay or some store where I can find is appreciated!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:02 AM
ch_mayday

Testing 2 materials for the crank intake.
Test of material part 1. The grey stuff is 2-component Plastic padding super steel The blue stuff is Loctite 5629, blue silicone. I'll let it harden for 24 hours then put in a fuel bath for 24hours. Then it's on to part 2 of my testing.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:54 AM
ch_mayday

24 hour fuel bath begins.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:53 AM
ch_mayday

After 2 hours it seems the plastic padding super steel is starting to soften, the Loctite silicone that hardens to be like rubber, seems to stay that way for now....
Old 03-28-2008, 09:50 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 2 hours it seems the plastic padding super steel is starting to soften, the Loctite silicone that hardens to be like rubber, seems to stay that way for now....

Why are you filling the crank ? did you mill you crank out ?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 AM
ch_mayday

The third compund that I'll test to see if it's good enough to go into the crank. I'll test this the same way as the other two.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Colt4g63

The third compund that I'll test to see if it's good enough to go into the crank. I'll test this the same way as the other two.

Dont use any form of JB weld!! If it was to come out.... the results to the rest of your engine would be bad news lol. Use a fuel safe liquid silicon such as Three Bond 1211. Theres my free tip of the week. Now JB you cant say that I dont help hehe
Old 03-28-2008, 01:07 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: Colt4g63

Now JB you cant say that I dont help hehe

I didn't say you won't help, but you're busy and don't really have the time to tell someone oh to mod an engine, and modding is your business and I'm sure you don't want to give out your trade secrets. and supertib, I'm not going to saying anything about because of some problems me and him had not too long ago.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:19 PM
SManMTB

So you're the one who managed to get him on Mod-watch status.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.