Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

First time porting.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:27 PM
ch_mayday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First time porting.

ORIGINAL: Colt4g63

ORIGINAL: ch_mayday

The third compund that I'll test to see if it's good enough to go into the crank. I'll test this the same way as the other two.

Dont use any form of JB weld!! If it was to come out.... the results to the rest of your engine would be bad news lol. Use a fuel safe liquid silicon such as Three Bond 1211. Theres my free tip of the week. Now JB you cant say that I dont help hehe

Thank's for the heads up man!
I think the Loctite blue silicone I'm testing will work, after several hours in a fuelbath it still has the original hardness, like rubber.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:53 PM
ch_mayday

Took some materialmaterial off today, let me know what you think guys...

Old 03-28-2008, 01:57 PM
ch_mayday

ORIGINAL: supertib

ORIGINAL: ch_mayday

After 2 hours it seems the plastic padding super steel is starting to soften, the Loctite silicone that hardens to be like rubber, seems to stay that way for now....

Why are you filling the crank ? did you mill you crank out ?
Not yet, but I will.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:07 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

So you're the one who managed to get him on Mod-watch status.....
what is that supposed to mean?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:08 PM
SManMTB

LOL
Old 03-28-2008, 02:35 PM
ch_mayday

Do you guys think I took too much material off the sleeve?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Colt4g63

Thats an OS 30 with a ABL liner isnt it?? Man those are PITA's to cut on... The OS outboards that we use in sport tunnel are ABN and they a PITA to cut on as well... I wouldnt have done the boost like that. But give it a try. I would go in and try to clean some of that up as well. Smooth it out.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:14 PM
ch_mayday

Thats an OS 30 with a ABL liner isnt it?? Man those are PITA's to cut on... The OS outboards that we use in sport tunnel are ABN and they a PITA to cut on as well... I wouldnt have done the boost like that. But give it a try. I would go in and try to clean some of that up as well. Smooth it out.

Yes I saw on the pics that there's a need to smoothen things out, apparently my camera sees better than me.

Do you think the boost port will have a negative effekt on power as it is now?

Thankfull for any help!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:18 PM
ch_mayday

Haven't changed portsize at all on the inside of the sleeve, just so you don't think so. Yes it is the os 30 with ABL liner.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Colt4g63

It'll be alright. I would just smooth it out some and roll with it.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:29 PM
ch_mayday

It'll be alright. I would just smooth it out some and roll with it.

Thank's for the help!
I'll smothen it out when I do the crank and con rod.
My next engine will probalby be a Picco P3 28, that one I'll invest in since it'll last longer, so you can expect me shipping it to you for a stage2 or stage3...whatever you feel is best for use in a 12lbs monster truck.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:38 PM
JB COMP

It looks good, but like Adam said smooth it out.

All this talk about porting/modding makes me want to mod another engine. I'll probably mod one next week (since this week its my Bro's girl friends birthday, then tomorrow is my bro's B-day, Monday in my B-day then Wed is my mom's B-day. so not alot of time for modding) My next engine will have a modded timing profile on it. I got my micro diamond files the other day.

Adam, I would like your opinion if my work (when I get it done) and my timing profile I went with (when I do that too)
Old 03-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Colt4g63

Yea JB and I would like to go buy a new 08 Viper today but..... LOL Nah just kidding with you man. I will try and help out as much as I can without giving too much away
Old 03-28-2008, 03:48 PM
ch_mayday

What kind of increases in power can you expect with this kind of porting, the guide I read said 15% in a sports engine, which the .30VG is. And I've done more extensive cutting than that guide suggested.

Also, will there be a noticable difference when I do the crank and con rod? noticable from what I've allready done that is.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:46 AM
ch_mayday

After 24 hours in a fuelbath the Plastic Padding super steel is totally destroyed. The Loctite silicone however is just as good as before the bath, it even sticks rather hard to a smooth alu-surface, on to part two of my test.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:14 AM
ch_mayday

Passed test two with flying colours! 15 minutes in a 347f oven, dripping fuel on it every minute(boiled of fast), and it stills sticks to the smooth alu surface and it still has the same rubbery hardness as it did before the fuelbath. The Loctite seems to be the winner.
If it sticks to a smooth alu surface during my tests, it should stick in the crank where it doesn't get as hot and where I'll make the surface rough and with small "pits" in it for the silicone to really stick to.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:55 AM
ch_mayday

A few questions:

1. Will shaving some material of the piston skirt be a worthwhile mod?
2. Would changing the outside of the exhaust port(angle the port to match the port in the case) be worth doing?
3. Smoothing and polishing exhaustport in the case, worth doing?
4. would taking a shim off compensate for the loss of compression if I were to cut a little in the button for increased combustion?
Old 03-29-2008, 11:41 AM
mentorman
My Feedback: (2)

dude, get a rubber tip for a dremel or whatever you use, and it will smooth and polish the brass big time. Wont work on steel just the brass sleeve.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:43 AM
ch_mayday

ORIGINAL: mentorman

dude, get a rubber tip for a dremel or whatever you use, and it will smooth and polish the brass big time. Wont work on steel just the brass sleeve.
I use a dremel, but was told that fueldrops tend to "suck on" to polished surfaces, not saying that I don't need to smoothen things out....
What is the true story about polishing vs not polishing?
Old 03-29-2008, 03:48 PM
psiturbo

The ported side of the button must face the turbo side of the piston sleeve, OPPOSITE to the exhaust.

I did one on the .21 VZ-R and the other one on the .28 LRP Spec 2.

I also did the mod on the Sportwerks .26 and on a HPI T-15...

Engine can go higher on the top-end, I can feel a very clean mid-top powerband, engine runs a little cooler. I have not benchtest it, but it seems fuel lasts longer after performing the mod. No loss of compression whatsoever.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:53 PM
ch_mayday

I was just thinking how big a loss of compression can you get with thoose small "scratches"?
I've seen others with channels going both to and from the exhaust port, what's the difference?
Old 03-29-2008, 04:04 PM
psiturbo

You do not want any fuel escaping the exhaust; If one thing I have learned about porting sleeves is the less you mess with the exhaust port the better.

I cannot really tell you the loss of compression on psi at all, the engines feel very responsive, nice clean idling, excellent top end.

Didn't I just stated that {NO LOSS OF COMPRESSION WHATSOEVER}.

I like this mod much more than messing with the piston sleeve, its very minor, but the results are clear IMO.

Its my engine, there has not been one engine that has run bad after performing this mod, and I am talking from 300 dollar engine to a .15 60 buck small block.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:11 PM
ch_mayday

ORIGINAL: psiturbo

You do not want any fuel escaping the exhaust; If one thing I have learned about porting sleeves is the less you mess with the exhaust port the better.

I cannot really tell you the loss of compression on psi at all, the engines feel very responsive, nice clean idling, excellent top end.

Didn't I just stated that {NO LOSS OF COMPRESSION WHATSOEVER}.

I like this mod much more than messing with the piston sleeve, its very minor, but the results are clear IMO.

Its my engine, there has not been one engine that has run bad after performing this mod, and I am talking from 300 dollar engine to a .15 60 buck small block.
I was reffering to the general discussion about his mod and loss off compression.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:37 PM
psiturbo

Do you know what is compression and how it is created?

Maybe the question should have been, how good or bad fuel flow is altered, compression has nothing to do with porting the sleeve on its sides.

I dont know where you get that the side ports have compression, I would be better to say fuel air velocity, volume etc.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:13 PM
ch_mayday

ORIGINAL: psiturbo

Do you know what is compression and how it is created?

Maybe the question should have been, how good or bad fuel flow is altered, compression has nothing to do with porting the sleeve on its sides.

I dont know where you get that the side ports have compression, I would be better to say fuel air velocity, volume etc.
Yes I do know what compression is. I was reffering to the mods on the button. I wasn't even talking about the sleeve.
I thought that was the discussion since that was the pics you posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.