Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

20% or 30% nitro fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:35 PM
mc_chofo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20% or 30% nitro fuel?

i've being wondering a lot of times from along time ago if i should use 20% nitro fuel or 30%, this is because at my local track, the people some times tell me to use 30, and another times they said 20%, and ofcoarse there's always the way that says you sould use 40% nitro fuel.

what you know or think i should use for thease engines, jammin 21, and picco 28 turbo plug, for those i'm using right now 20% nitro but i'm considering in changing it to 30% nitro, for my onroad engines.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:39 PM
TheBlazer5k

Default RE: 20% or 30% nitro fuel?

if you are racing use $30 or unless you want a lot of power, but you have to know to tune it well
20% is the good % to use
Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 PM
fasstrevo

I wouldn't run 30% without shimming the head and running a cold plug. If you feel like playing around with this you can get more performance. Careful if you run 30% without paying attention to these things as this can cause detonation which can damage the engine.

Here's a copy and paste...

"CHANGING FUEL
Changing to a higher percentage of nitro fuel sounds like an easy method of developing more horsepower, but it isn’t always that simple. Without getting into all the particulars of nitro fuel, I’ll just say that there is a point where you can have too much nitro. Adding up to 10 percent more nitro than is typical produces more power, but you have to know how to adjust your engine to accommodate the extra nitro. Fuel-mixture settings need to be slightly richer when nitro content is increased. Also, you may have to increase head clearance by adding an extra head shim. The extra fuel introduced into the combustion chamber increases compression by adding non-compressible matter this also increases cylinder pressure during the combustion process, which may cause detonation. Detonation occurs when the fuel explodes instead of burning, and that can cause internal engine damage. The extra head shim will likely prevent detonation when fuel with higher nitro content is used.

A final note about fuel: fuel with a lower oil content (for manufacturers that actually disclose the amount of oil in their fuels) should be run with a richer mixture setting. This doesn’t so much relate to performance as it does to the benefit of the engine. Conversely, fuels with higher oil content have the extra lubrication that allows a leaner mixture setting with less risk of engine damage. Fuels with a lower concentration of lubricant are intended for competition use by experienced engine tuners. These fuels will make marginally more power because the lubricant that’s removed is replaced with power-producing nitro and methanol. Evaluate your tuning ability honestly before you run out to buy fuel with a lower oil content."

Source: http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm

Old 04-24-2008, 11:11 PM
mc_chofo

well, is there really a risk of engine damage, i think i can considered my self as a good tuner, but also i have friends with more experience than me that can help me with the tunning part, but basically my question is if theres risk of engine damage, or less life of the engine, that things are what stops me from going up to 30%. if it worths going up to 30%
Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 PM
fasstrevo

Yes. I've done this to at least one of my engines. Even with a proper tune. It can cause pitting on the head button and piston crown.

Unless you're racing and need every last ounce of power. Or are willing to keep and eye on things (fiddling with shimming and plugs) I would keep it simple and run 20%. You aren't going to notice that much of a power difference.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 AM
mc_chofo

well thanks, there's nothing left to say, i will keep using the 20%, with hot plugs
Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 AM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: mc_chofo

well thanks, there's nothing left to say, i will keep using the 20%, with hot plugs
Are you people nuts!

There is a huge diffrence in power from 20 to 30%

Why don't you all run 10% nitro since there isn't hardly any diffrence,

Its simple man, Add a shim use a cold plug, and enjoy a faster truck with cooler temps.

I'll never run 20% again for bashing or racing, i've got an OS .18 sitting at 6 gallons with 30% nitro... oh ya I didn't add a shim either just a colder plug.

Anyone who says 30% nitro has hardly any power diffrence, doesn't run 30% or doesn't know how to tune,

Old 04-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: mc_chofo

Anyone who says 30% nitro has hardly any power diffrence, doesn't run 30% or doesn't know how to tune,

Agreed! I used to run 20% a while back, and when they changed our track around they put in a triple that I couldn't ever seem to clear. I switched to 30% and clearing it was no longer and issue. Quite noticeable in my opinion.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:37 AM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love when this subject comes up. I used to run 20% and 30%. Coould hardly tell the difference what so ever. Now I run ZERO nitro in my fuel. My truck keeps up with my buddies LRP powered savage who runs 30%. I have a lesser engine than he does, but I run a BUKU power pipe. Here's a couple videos of my no nitro MT kicking ass and going plenty fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_PueFyQGg4&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFfvCVQLcRA&fmt=18
Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

No difference? Okay, let me use another example. I used to use 20% in a Saito 125 bolted to a Funtana 90. With the 20% I got a max rpm of 8900 and I had to use full throttle to hover and I had to lay it over to pull out. When I switched to 30% I then had a max rpm of almost 11000 and it would hover at between 1/2 and 3/4, plus I could pull out by give full throttle and going straight up. Nitro content does make a difference....Whether YOU notice it or not is a different story.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 AM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: hilifemt

I love when this subject comes up. I used to run 20% and 30%. Coould hardly tell the difference what so ever. Now I run ZERO nitro in my fuel. My truck keeps up with my buddies LRP powered savage who runs 30%. I have a lesser engine than he does, but I run a BUKU power pipe. Here's a couple videos of my no nitro MT kicking ass and going plenty fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_PueFyQGg4&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFfvCVQLcRA&fmt=18
Cool vid,

But the fact is nitro gives you more power,

Old 04-25-2008, 09:12 AM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you guys are right. It does add more power. How much though Im not real sure of. I would like to see a dyno test of the difference in 20% and 30% nitro content and even zero nitro just for comparison. Although the variables of tuning are always a factor. it'd be neat to see. Adam, if you are reading this. how about a dyno test for different nitro contents?