Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

SH engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:00 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SH engine?

i'm looking at a sh .28 engine to put on a 1/8 buggy but I don't know anything about these motors. are they any good are are they just junk?
Thanks
Old 05-23-2008, 08:13 PM
mentorman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SH engine?

It depends what you consider junk, do you consider LRP, dynamite, XTM, sportwerks and others that I cant think of at the moment junk? I dont, they are all made by the same company, and many of the parts for them are the same. Unless you are into the Italian stuff, for which everything else is junk, for the most part.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:21 PM
JB COMP

I'd look into the sportwerks 26 V2 and the Mach 427 you can get them for under $150 and they are great engines. I run the 427 in my CRT.

Like mentorman said it depends on what you call junk. One guy at my local track said him and his race partner had a few 427's and they all had 10 gallons on them.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 PM
twomanytoys

Sh actually makes a great mill. Its not up there with the Italian mills but over great performance, easy to tune and long lasting. Vey little trouble with them.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:17 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a few motors and some are better than others. I'm not looking to spend more than 200 on a motor I would like to keep it under 150 or less. I have an OS motor which has been my favorite so far and I have had 3 different hpi motors 2 g3.0's and one 18ss. the first g3.0 was junk. after about 1 1/2 gallons the piston went to peices on me and seized the motor. I had it rplaced by hpi and got the same motor from them again and it was great but it was i bit difficult to keep a tune. the 18 ss was an awesome motor I never had to tune it in the few moths that I had it. it always ran great. I also have a .27 duratrax motor which is what i'm wanting to replace with the SH possibly. it seems to have good power and is not too bad to tune but the qualityy if the metal used to make it seem very cheap. if you tightent the glow plug at all the head botton will strip. it seems like with some companies that their engines can be hit or miss and i guess that what i consider to be junk.

but anybody that has some experience with sh motors please chime in and give your opinion or any other possibilities that you can think of.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2008, 10:13 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: yakfish

but anybody that has some experience with sh motors please chime in and give your opinion or any other possibilities that you can think of.
Thanks
Hello, I run a Mach 427 which is made by SH

I'm thinking about going to a local track and if I do I'll try and get some video of it.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:10 AM
rcpowerhorse

i have an sh in my nitrage and it's great reliable, power to spare and it runs on almost any nitro content 5%-40%
Old 05-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Thunderbird93

I had the SH .28 in my XTM XLB ( it comes in the XLB) and it really ran good. And that's a 1/7th scale. If you're buying it brand new you might want to consider something like the XTM .457 just for the fact that it does have a little more power than the SH .28 I'm not sure how much you're paying for the SH but I've seen the XTM for about $150 and the XTM is just about the same motor as the LRP .28 which I absolutely love. But if it's the SH you really want you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:43 AM
twomanytoys

I have an SH .28 3 port in a MGT and it has tons of torque. I have a Sportwerks .26V2 which is Sh and it screams. If you want a great budget engine look at the SH 3 port, Sportwerks V2, xtm 247, Losi mach 457, and mach 26. The sportwerks is an awsome engine adn can be had for about 125. Anything you get will be way better than that 27 duratrax.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:43 AM
dayglo

y do u want to put a 28 in your buggy. y not get a 21 and save some gas and have some speeeeeeeeeeeeed! u can find pretty cheap os rg's on ebay and they are easy to tune and have pretty good speed and r good on fuel.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 AM
SAVAGEJIM

i'm looking at a sh .28 engine to put on a 1/8 buggy but I don't know anything about these motors. are they any good are are they just junk?
Thanks
All of the engines mentioned above are made by Golden Lion (SH, XTM, LRP, Mach, etc.). The LRP and SH lines are some serious powerhouses for thier costs, and though they might have some problems here and there, they are defntely better than almost all other cheap chinese engines.

These Golden Lion engines I actually mid-grade. OS I would consider mid to high grade, and the Rossis (NovaRossi, GRP, Sirio, etc.) I would consider top of the line. Though SH and allother Goldn Lion engines are not as good as these engines, they are actually not bad for their price.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:07 PM
mentorman

This may be off-subject a little, but all of these cheap chinese, taiwan, japanese manufacturing companese sure know how to engineer the cars that these cheap chinese motors go into. why cant I think of any awesome italian, race winning 1/8 scale buggies or trucks? just thought...
Old 05-24-2008, 03:32 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: mentorman

This may be off-subject a little, but all of these cheap chinese, taiwan, japanese manufacturing companese sure know how to engineer the cars that these cheap chinese motors go into. why cant I think of any awesome italian, race winning 1/8 scale buggies or trucks? just thought...

The cheapy engines like the Force and stuff are made in China, but the engines made in Taiwan like the SH are good engines, then the ones made in Italy and Japan and the best. Ninja and OS engines are made in Japan.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:39 PM
mentorman

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Thanks
All of the engines mentioned above are made by Golden Lion (SH, XTM, LRP, Mach, etc.). The LRP and SH lines are some serious powerhouses for thier costs, and though they might have some problems here and there, they are defntely better than almost all other cheap chinese engines.

These Golden Lion engines I actually mid-grade. OS I would consider mid to high grade, and the Rossis (NovaRossi, GRP, Sirio, etc.) I would consider top of the line. Though SH and allother Goldn Lion engines are not as good as these engines, they are actually not bad for their price.

Yes i know, i was referring to the above post, most people use what they can afford. I happen to like force motors, chinese or not, its all good...
Old 05-24-2008, 04:38 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: mentorman

Yes i know, i was referring to the above post, most people use what they can afford. I happen to like force motors, chinese or not, its all good...

If you think Force engines are good then try the Mach 427, it can smoke the force 26 twice before the force can even get going.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:57 PM
mentorman

the force 26 is a 4 port. I've owned and modified the 28's 6 port, and they rock. right now I'm running a dynamite mach 28 3 port modified by me, in a ravager 9.5, and an LRP spec 3 stock in an MGT truck, I love them both. The mach 28 is wearing out, so I was going to try the sportwerks 26 in the buggy when it does...
Old 05-24-2008, 08:19 PM
twomanytoys

The Sportwerks is a great engine and cant be beat for the price.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:23 AM
mentorman

Yes, and they are all made by the same company that makes SH... The connecting rods in all of these motors are very stout, with a nice knife edge and the cranks have three scallops cut into them, and the bronze bushings appear to be thicker than others I've seen. They are not just "old school" motors, theyre decent.