Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

fuel in pressure line during startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 04:49 PM
dan95-5.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel in pressure line during startup

i have a Nitro Duratrax evader BX and im having problems on startup.

once i get it running theres no problem and good power.

when i try to start it for the first time (cold) is when i have these problems.

to prime the motor, i cover the exhaust tip and pull on the pullstart. after a few pulls i see the fuel go up to the fuel filter. then i look at the pressure line and its full of fuel. SOLID fuel. when i tip it on its side, fuel pours out the exhaust.

my evader is 100% stock.

any fixes or any tips on what to look for?

thanks
Old 09-05-2008, 07:16 PM
supermod

Default RE: fuel in pressure line during startup

change your plug ,lean it a tad,make sure your glow igniter is fully charged,90% of start up isues are do to bad plus.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:23 PM
davido666

Try this mod for the BX. Put in a tmaxx tank part#4948. It will give you double the run time and no more leaking fuel or air leaks. All you have to do is drill 4 new holes. What I did was remove the old tank. Then put some puddy on the frame of the car. Then slowly align the tmax tank and press gentle on the puddy. Remove the tank and drill 4 holes in the puddy where the new tank will mount. You can counter sink the new holes with a larger drill from the bottom of the car. You will have to cut a hole in the window of the body but it makes it easy to fill with fuel and it gives you better air flow for the engine. One more thing put on the primer ball from team associate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42112.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1026982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79438.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1026983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46176.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1026984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45458.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1026985  
Old 09-05-2008, 08:55 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The end of your muffler pressure line is below the fuel level with a full tank. When you block the exhaust to prime the engine it builds up a slight pressure inside the tank. This pressure forces fuel towards the carb but it also forces fuel back up through the pressure line when you take your finger off the end. All you need do is make sure the end of the pressure line is above the fuel level inside the tank.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:30 PM
dan95-5.0

thanks for the reply guys.

i hate the stock tank on this thing so i might go pick up that tank tommorow and the bulb too for easy priming.

Downunder - so basically with my stock setup, i would have to prime and start with less then half a tank and ounce started fill to the top?

what a dumb setup.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what the set up is in your tank but if you look at the first photo above you can see the pressure line going to a small space behind the filler cap. That's all that's needed to pressurise the tank. You'll have to look at your tank to see what's needed to get the end of the line close to the top of the tank.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:29 AM
dan95-5.0

heres what the stock setup looks like

heres what the stock tank looks like

i cant see a way to fix this without replacing the tank. the tank is just setup stupid.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:23 PM
dan95-5.0

i got the tmaxx 4948 tank today along with some road hawgs and more fuel line. install was pretty simple. i went with a friend of mine who also needed some parts for his RC Truck. turns out when i got the tank, he has the same one in his Tmaxx LOL.

removed the stock tank, put some red paint on the legs of the tank and centered it in the opening. drilled new holes where the red paint was and bolted it in.

this tank is a monster. I love it and problem solved. primed it and no more fuel in the line. my evader is an animal now and its still running rich.

One problem now. how am i supposed to tune the low speed with the tank in the way now? LOL not enough room to fit my small screwdriver. might have to bend the tip on an old screwdriver.

thanks guys
Old 09-06-2008, 08:48 PM
davido666

Ya I forgot to mention the part about tuning the low speed. I just have the low speed set and I don't touch it anymore. All I do is tune the high speed for the weather. I love the tank because my evader runs forever on a tank of fuel.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 AM
ugly duck

The fuel in the pressure line thing should be pretty much irrelevant. Because you've primed the engine, there's fuel at the carb and the engine will start. Once the engine starts, backpressure in the exhaust will force that fuel back into the tank and things will operate normally. If you're really concerned about it, I don't see what the big deal would have been to start it at half tank and once it's warmed up, top up the tank and let 'er rip.

But it seems like you've got a solution that you like, so all's well that ends well.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:59 PM
dan95-5.0

well when i primed it, the pressure line would dump the fuel right into the exhaust. but once i started, the fuel would blow out the exhaust.

when turned it off by blocking the exhaust tip after i was done playing, fuel would filll the pressure line again. overnight it would drip out the exhaust.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:01 PM
ugly duck

Right, but other than a mess (which, let's face it, these nitro cars are 100% of the time) what's the problem? It would puke a bit of fuel out the exhaust on startup, but otherwise it ran fine right?

And if you pinch the fuel line instead of plugging the exhaust, you'd have solved one of those problems already.

I'm just sayin'
Old 09-07-2008, 07:18 PM
dan95-5.0

i would waste more then half a tank of fuel just trying to get it started. fuel all over my garage and driveway. then once it starts, fuel is sprayed all over the place. my HPI RS4 makes no mess unless i spill fuel trying to fill it up.

this new tank holds alot of fuel compared to stock and is a way better design.

i dont understand what they were thinking with that tank

i dont like pinching the fuel line. plus plugging the exhaust is a lot faster and easier. im lazy
Old 09-08-2008, 08:31 AM
ugly duck

ORIGINAL: dan95-5.0

i would waste more then half a tank of fuel just trying to get it started.
Oh, that IS a problem.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 PM
jakeray

on my hpi mt2 i was driving it hard and my pressure release line popped from the exhaust pipe and then the truck just went 10 times faster[&:] and i was just wondering what was happening with it but do u think i should put the pressure line back on the pipe or leave it off[&o]
Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 AM
davido666

Most likely the engine went lean with less pressure in the fuel tank. You should always run with the pressure line to keep a constant even fuel flow. Running the engine to lean for to long could make the engine run to hot and that would damage the piston and sleeve. You may just need to tune your engine to get the speed out of it. I always use a temp guage and tune my low and high speed needles for performance and to keep the temps in range for safe operation.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:15 PM
jakeray

thank you davido666 for that tip i will test it out tonight